Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The oldest ghost photo ever taken

cpjason

This little girl is believed to be the oldest ghost ever caught on film. It was taken in Shropshire England and it is believed to be little Jane Chum, who died in a fire in 1677.

It is interesting to ghost hunters because the photo itself was taken just 10 years ago. Many of us debate such things as "when do ghosts stop being ghosts and move on", and this certainly gives a new insight into that debate assuming it isn't a hoax. I will leave that decision up to you.

a3p4wh.jpg

Edited by cpjason

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regency

• sinewave

• cpjason

• Sir_Quack_The_Wack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have posted a thread on this photo myself quite a while ago because it is my favourite ghost photograph (though I find the thought of a child being trapped disturbing). Chillingly, before this fire occurred, the place was supposed to be haunted with the ghost of this little girl for years and sightings of her had been reported. Also, the area that she's supposed to be standing on had no floor for her to physically stand on because it had been burnt down and another point is this was taken at a time before we all had paint shop and digital cameras and computers, I believe this was shot onto film.

I know the skeptics out there will say it's the "P" word or matrixing, but personally this photo is as good as it gets for me. There was a programme about it if I recall rightly.

Edit: here's the programme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEA8qRNP5iY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXB1P2IlH9w

Edited by Regency

What reasons to "they" have for believing she is who they say she is? Also, how is that not a living person posing for the camera?

Edited by sinewave

though I find the thought of a child being trapped disturbing

I personally believe that ghosts are manifestations of energy left there by the person and not the actual persons spirit or soul. Like if someone had a horrible experience or happy experience it would leave negative or positive energy behind. Just thought I'd say in case it helped you to see it from a not so disturbing view.

Nice cpjason. I've always loved this photo.

Thanks Regency for more of the backstory.

I hope others have more concrete information to share :yes:

I thought that this picture had been found out to be an example of simulcra, when the brain takes random patterns and organises them into something you recognise(like seeing objects in clouds), these are normally faces or body parts because that is what the human brain is pre programmed to recognise best.

Would love to find out I'm wrong as I like this picture, but I am reasonably sure I read somewhere that it was debunked for the above reasons

another point is this was taken at a time before we all had paint shop and digital cameras and computers, I believe this was shot onto film.

Well Photoshop has been around since 1990. Of course there are other analogue/low-tech methods of doctoring photos that have been around almost as long as photography itself. Does anyone know who took this picture? Was it a professional photographer?

That being said, I remember when this picture was first published in newspapers in the UK. It scared me as a kid! It's a good photo.

Even though I know that there are ways to fake a ghost photo, even without the aids of photoshop and other image enhancing programs, I dunno - there's just something about this photo that just seems so real. It's one of the only ghost photos that I've seen and actually believed to be real. I know this in no way proves that the photograph isn't a fake, it's just my own personal open-minded opinion :)

Umbots put up a vid of this 2day http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewvideo.php?id=sEA8qRNP5iY&tid=166678

might be the same links thats already been posted is it like the anniversary or something?

Edited by Spend

This little girl is believed to be the oldest ghost ever caught on film. It was taken in Shropshire England and it is believed to be little Jane Chum, who died in a fire in 1677.

That's interesting, considering so many medieval ghost photos have been taken, and even several Roman ghosts have been photographed.

Even though I know that there are ways to fake a ghost photo, even without the aids of photoshop and other image enhancing programs, I dunno - there's just something about this photo that just seems so real. It's one of the only ghost photos that I've seen and actually believed to be real. I know this in no way proves that the photograph isn't a fake, it's just my own personal open-minded opinion :)

It looks like a real building and a real girl so the photo itself is probably not fake. Calling the girl a ghost is where the fantasy starts.

That's interesting, considering so many medieval ghost photos have been taken, and even several Roman ghosts have been photographed.

Have a link to any?

I have posted a thread on this photo myself quite a while ago because it is my favourite ghost photograph (though I find the thought of a child being trapped disturbing). Chillingly, before this fire occurred, the place was supposed to be haunted with the ghost of this little girl for years and sightings of her had been reported. Also, the area that she's supposed to be standing on had no floor for her to physically stand on because it had been burnt down and another point is this was taken at a time before we all had paint shop and digital cameras and computers, I believe this was shot onto film.

I know the skeptics out there will say it's the "P" word or matrixing, but personally this photo is as good as it gets for me. There was a programme about it if I recall rightly.

Edit: here's the programme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEA8qRNP5iY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXB1P2IlH9w

Wow that is just amazing!! I am not a real believer in photo's (i think orb photo's are complete bs... correct me if im wrong)

But this photo looks great XD

Have a link to any?

Caveman:

Eerie-Caveman-Ghost_photo_medium.jpg

I could not find the Roman one, sorry. I can find the medieval ones of interest:

castleghost.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQo6Ko6Texo&feature=related

Shame that video there had been taken down for copyright reasons. The other video before had better music than the user had to put on this repost. Youtube certainly is packing it in.

Caveman:

Eerie-Caveman-Ghost_photo_medium.jpg

I could not find the Roman one, sorry. I can find the medieval ones of interest:

castleghost.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQo6Ko6Texo&feature=related

Shame that video there had been taken down for copyright reasons. The other video before had better music than the user had to put on this repost. Youtube certainly is packing it in.

If you find some that aren't matrixing I would be willing to entertain the idea. I was talking about full body apparitions that are difficult to dismiss as camera anomaly or mental trickery.

Edited by cpjason

I personally believe that ghosts are manifestations of energy left there by the person and not the actual persons spirit or soul. Like if someone had a horrible experience or happy experience it would leave negative or positive energy behind. Just thought I'd say in case it helped you to see it from a not so disturbing view.

Like the recording theory? I think in some cases you may well be right, but I also think there are cases where ghosts seem to be able to communicate. Thanks for the reply.

Nice cpjason. I've always loved this photo.

Thanks Regency for more of the backstory.

I hope others have more concrete information to share :yes:

You're welcome She-ra. :st I didn't think this place was too far from where I live, I've just checked it it's actually near the border of Wales, about 60 miles away. I'd have loved to have gone and done some digging on this but it's just too far.

What is known about that picture that makes the girl a ghost?

What is known about that picture that makes the girl a ghost?

The girl was standing on an upper floor which was no longer there, there's a raging fire all around her and that this place had been reputed to be haunted by this girl Jane for many, many years. Also, it's a good photo, it's not a mist or an orb, it looks like a girl standing where she shouldn't be able to.

No one can prove this is a ghost, no one can really prove any photograph is a ghost at the end of the day - this photo is one of my favourite ghost photos, one I'm more likely to believe is a ghost because of the reasons above.

Before we start "no it isn't", "yes it is" etc. What I'm saying is my own opinion, which I'm entitled to last time I checked.

From the title of the thread I was under the impression the photo was old. It was take fairly recently. I did not realize the building was burning at the time. Photography experts feel it is faked and not surprisingly paranormal experts feel it is quite real.

Edited by sinewave

From the title of the thread I was under the impression the photo was old. It was take fairly recently. I did not realize the building was burning at the time. Photography experts feel it is faked and not surprisingly paranormal experts feel it is quite real.

Of all the ghost photos, this one is the most compelling to me, the most believeable - given the history of the place and the fact that she actually looks like a human is a big plus in my opinion. It was the OP who said it was the oldest ghost photo ever taken.

What about this one?

Caught on camera: The ghost of Henry VIII

07 February 2008

Grandmother Anne Lambert was stunned when she captured what looks like the ghost of Henry VIII on her mobile phone while staying at a Tudor manor house.

The 54-year-old was spending the night at Samlesbury Hall, when she heard some ghostly noises.

The nail technician, from Clayton Brook, Lancashire, was alone in a dark room when she sensed something and quickly pulled out her mobile phone and started taking photographs.

GhostMEN0702_468x322.jpg

Caught on camera: The ghostly image looks like Henry VIII

But it was only when she got home the following day and looked at the images that Anne realised she may have captured a ghostly figure resembling the Tudor monarch on camera.

Ghost2MEN0702_468x305.jpg

Shocked: Anne Lambert took the photo on her mobile phone at a 14th Century house

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-512838/Caught-camera-The-ghost-Henry-VIII.html

Edited by Blackwhite