Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama 'may not attend climate summit'

questionmark

The prospects of a global deal to tackle climate change diminished tonight after a senior US official played down the chances of President Obama attending December’s UN summit in Copenhagen .

Todd Stern, US Special Envoy for Climate Change, said that President Obama would go to Copenhagen only if sufficient progress was being made in the negotiations.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Oops...all conspiracy theories in vain?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Pseudo Intellectual

• acidhead

• The Silver Thong

Top Posters In This Topic

..This is what the media world calls........................ "spin''...Nobel winner Obama will be in Copenhagen.... guaranteed.

Todd Stern and the article ONLY implies that Obama MAY or MAY NOT attend... unless a deal is agreed first in America....... ITS PURE SPIN.

The article implies 'Obama May Not Attend'... ALTHOUGH the caption below Obama's photo revaels 'hope' that he does attend... SPIN

Whoa..! whoa..!... since I began writing this the Timesonline has removed Obama's photo/caption from the article.... too predictable.... BUT I SAVED IT...!

Have a look:

picture2ez.jpg

The UN Climate change conference is scheduled for December 7-18 2009.

1. Cap and trade is not getting out of the Senate in any meaningful form. EPA will announce its own emissions reduction timetable (without a specific mechanism).

The purpose is to give Obama something to take to Copenhagen.

2. The lack of a specific mechanism is required to stave off immediate litigation, which would impact Obama’s credibility.

3. Obama will descend upon a “deadlocked” Copenhagen, and

4. Some type of “agreement” will miraculously appear, in which China and India announce some “intent” to reduce future emissions on a schedule that lags that agreed to by the EU–which will impose restrictions upon itself slightly more intensive than what EPA announces.

5. All will declare victory. Obama will be the savior.

6. And the western-whiplashed- abused taxpayer will be left saying, "What the HELL just happened".

Edited by acidhead

why wouldn't Obama attend, his superman suit in the wash?

why wouldn't Obama attend, his superman suit in the wash?

He will be there... guaranteed.

The whole article is media 'spin' to generate interest in AGW in general and to hype Obama as the lord's messenger.

There's an interesting article on the Foreign Policy website from a political scientist with a predilection for game theory and rational choice theory that predicts Copenhagen is a Recipe for Failure. Worth reading.

Edited by Startraveler

There's an interesting article on the Foreign Policy website from a political scientist with a predilection for game theory and rational choice theory that predicts Copenhagen is a Recipe for Failure. Worth reading.

Thank you startraveler... i'll be sure to check it out.

I think we can all see it will be a failure as there is no answer. Giving money doesn't solve anything except for a few ;)

Hmmm, I'm not seeing how Obama could be hailed as a saviour when word gets out that he enabled a foreign body to tax the citizens of the United States. Look at the opposition the US Govt. is encountering in regard to the healthcare option. If he signs away our sovreignty(sp?), not to quote a Lucas film, but, "I have a bad feeling about this."

Edited by SpiderCyde

Even if AGW was real, these type of agreements (cap and trade, etc) don't solve the problem. Instead of reducing emissions, they tax them. In other words, "we'll let you kill the planet... if you pay us."

Even if AGW was real, these type of agreements (cap and trade, etc) don't solve the problem. Instead of reducing emissions, they tax them. In other words, "we'll let you kill the planet... if you pay us."

Carbon taxes and explicit caps (lowered with time by statute) do indeed reduce emissions.

Carbon taxes and explicit caps (lowered with time by statute) do indeed reduce emissions.

Unless they sell or trade their carbon credits.

No, the number of credits is set by the cap. You put some amount of credits into circulation and let people buy/sell them as they see fit. No credit, no associated volume of emission. Lowering the cap means removing credits from circulation over time. And thus lowering the total amount of emissions.

In fact, in at least one country where such a scheme is already implemented (Germany) they are already below Kyoto allowed levels, something all critics called impossible. And I don't see them at the verge of bankruptcy (point given last year they were still the biggest exporter in the world).

No, the number of credits is set by the cap. You put some amount of credits into circulation and let people buy/sell them as they see fit. No credit, no associated volume of emission. Lowering the cap means removing credits from circulation over time. And thus lowering the total amount of emissions.

Cap and Trade may appear like a good route to go to incrementally decrease fossil fuels' carbon footprint but its whole design is a recipe for failure, corporate greed and manipulation.

In essence, the cap and trade scheme creates YET ANOTHER wallstreet orientated financial fiasco full of scams and unethical economic practices.

In short another financial 'derivative' market of trading, shorting, beefing(going-long), and betting that got the recent economic recession started in the first place.

But will the white-shoed wallstreet boys running the WH tell you or me this...? Just after they stole billions and gave it to their bankster buddies..?

Don't be fooled... numbers never change.... everything else does in life but numbers and economics stay the same.... just as scams do.

Cap-and-Trade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissions_trading

A central authority (usually a governmental body) sets a limit or cap on the amount of a pollutant that can be emitted. Companies or other groups are issued emission permits and are required to hold an equivalent number of allowances (or credits) which represent the right to emit a specific amount. The total amount of allowances and credits cannot exceed the cap, limiting total emissions to that level. Companies that need to increase their emission allowance must buy credits from those who pollute less. The transfer of allowances is referred to as a trade. In effect, the buyer is paying a charge for polluting, while the seller is being rewarded for having reduced emissions by more than was needed. Thus, in theory, those who can easily reduce emissions most cheaply will do so, achieving the pollution reduction at the lowest possible cost to society.[2]

Measuring, reporting, verification (MRV) and enforcement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissions_trading#Measuring.2C_reporting.2C_verification_.28MRV.29_and_enforcement

Another critical part is enforcement.[77] Without effective MRV and enforcement the value of allowances are diminished. Enforcement can be done using several means, including fines or sanctioning those that have exceeded their allowances. Concerns include the cost of MRV and enforcement and the risk that facilities may be tempted to mislead rather than make real reductions or make up their shortfall by purchasing allowances or offsets from another entity. The net effect of a corrupt reporting system or poorly managed or financed regulator may be a discount on emission costs, and a (hidden) increase in actual emissions.

Criticism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissions_trading#Criticism

Critics argue that emissions trading does little to solve pollution problems overall, since groups that do not pollute sell their conservation to the highest bidder. Overall reductions would need to come from a sufficient reduction of allowances available in the system.

Regulatory agencies run the risk of issuing too many emission credits, diluting the effectiveness of regulation, and practically removing the cap. In this case, instead of a net reduction in carbon dioxide emissions, beneficiaries of emissions trading simply pollute more.

The Financial Times published an article about cap-and-trade systems which argued that "Carbon markets create a muddle" and "...leave much room for unverifiable manipulation". http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4b80ee18-f393-11db-9845-000b5df10621.html?nclick_check=1

The cap and share scheme states that cap and trade or cap and tax schemes inherently impact the poor and those in rural areas, who have less choice in energy consumption options.

In fact, in at least one country where such a scheme is already implemented (Germany) they are already below Kyoto allowed levels, something all critics called impossible. And I don't see them at the verge of bankruptcy (point given last year they were still the biggest exporter in the world).

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2009/06/kyoto_schmyoto_ii.html

:tu: acidhead and Pseudo...

Looks good, so why all the circus that was organized not signing?

I'm sorry, what? I don't understand.

I'm sorry, what? I don't understand.

The US is the only country that was part of the Kyoto agreement but never ratified it. The last two Congresses refused...besides Dubya did not want a ratification either.

The signing was done by the Clinton administration.

My point is, Kyoto failed.

Oh? then why does everybody want part II? And why are you so proud of the fact that the US is so well into it?

Are you kidding me? The article I linked to shows that Kyoto-countries' CO2 emissions skyrocketed. You call that a success?

And how does wanting something mean it's a good thing? Every child wants to eat a whole house of chocolate; does that mean it's good for him?