Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis

stevemagegod

Antarctica is the only island continent on Earth that lies in the middle of "The True Ocean."

Antarctica is pretty inhospitable now, but 10,000 years ago during the ice age, it would have been utterly impossible for it to support a civilisation.

But even by conventional dates, Homo sapiens sapiens are millions of years old.

Anatomically modern humans first appear in the fossil record in Africa about 195,000 years ago

Ref

As I have already demonstrated, Antarctica was not always in a polar latitude.

Yeah, millions and millions of years ago. 10,000 year ago it was cold. Very very cold.

Of what? Triremes? No. Plato said Atlantis sunk 9000 years before Solon. So about 11,500 years ago.

Atlantis was supposedly out in the Atlantic Ocean.

Atlantis supposedly had huge ships - Triremes - in her harbours before she sank, from all other countries bringing her goods.

WHAT other countries? There weren't any other countries per se 11,500 years ago and there sure weren't any cultures with Triremes 11,500 years ago.

To get to Atlantis or for them to get to the mainland, they would have had to have ships that could stand the constant battering of the ocean, back and forth, to do trade. Where is the evidence for anyone, anywhere at the time, having such ships?

Blimey, we agree on something!!

UM better removes that search tool, people keep ignoring what has already been discussed ad nauseum just to start a discussion all over again with the same fantastic arguments.

:tu:

they could replace it by a crap eraser.

And he named them all; the eldest, who was the first king, he named Atlas, and after him the whole island and the ocean were called Atlantic. To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus.

FACING THE COUNTRY WHICH IS NOW CALLED THE REGION OF GADES. How does a country face itself?

If Atlantis is ever discovered I wonder if the Submariner prince Namor will have his atlantians attack the human race or the surface people.That would not be fun at all.

If Atlantis is ever discovered I wonder if the Submariner prince Namor will have his atlantians attack the human race or the surface people.That would not be fun at all.

When they start having guided tours of the pyramids in Antarctica, scientists will still refuse to believe in Atlantis.

Edited by Agonaces of Susa

Antarctica is pretty inhospitable now, but 10,000 years ago during the ice age, it would have been utterly impossible for it to support a civilisation.

Antarctica is in an ice age right now, let alone 10,000 years ago.

It seems that 10,000 years ago Antarctica was almost ice free as any child can see on the Piri Reis map.

Anatomically modern humans first appear in the fossil record in Africa about 195,000 years ago

Ref

Humans are hundreds of millions of years old. See my post above.

It seems that 10,000 years ago Antarctica was almost ice free as any child can see on the Piri Reis map.

Any child can see... you keep repeating that. OK, I go along with that: you can make a child believe in the bogeyman, and Santaclaus.

Now what does that prove, eh., 'any child can see'? That you can make a child believe almost anything you want.

Btw, the Piri Reis chart does NOT depict an ice free Antarctica+ you don´t know, you just gobbled up what you read on some loony sites. The bottom side of the map doesn´t resemble an ice free Antarctica

Prove it, and don´t keep repeating yourself with your ´any child can see... YOU come up with it, now YOU prove it.

And I won´t even go into your Creationist fantasy about how old humans are...

Any child can see... you keep repeating that. OK, I go along with that: you can make a child believe in the bogeyman, and Santaclaus.

Now what does that prove, eh., 'any child can see'? That you can make a child believe almost anything you want.

Btw, the Piri Reis chart does NOT depict an ice free Antarctica+ you don´t know, you just gobbled up what you read on some loony sites. The bottom side of the map doesn´t resemble an ice free Antarctica

Prove it, and don´t keep repeating yourself with your ´any child can see... YOU come up with it, now YOU prove it.

And I won´t even go into your Creationist fantasy about how old humans are...

This is a lost case so I would save my breath for a real discussion if I were you.

When they start having guided tours of the pyramids in Antarctica, scientists will still refuse to believe in Atlantis.

If that ever happens, I will send you 200 dollars.

Think for a second man.... even IF there was a civilization there, what would be left now, after ice sheets and glaciers miles thick moved over the rocky underground for millenia? Have you ever seen those fjords in Norway? Do you even know why they are shaped like that?

This is a lost case so I would save my breath for a real discussion if I were you.

No way. He is 17 years old (according to his profile- and I think he´s the same person who started this thread), and I was that age, once.

And I also loved those stories, those spectacular theories, when I was his age. I know how he feels.

To him we are just stubborn old farts, too rusted to accept a new theory.

No, many of us wanted to believe these same theories, but then, out of curiosity, we started to check for OURSELVES, and found out that however stunning those theories were, they were based on faulty information, a distorting of facts, and lots of wishfull thinking.

Edited by Abramelin

WHAT.

no, itd be Arthur, Aquaman instead.

WHAT.

marvel comic book reference emma.

No way. He is 17 years old (according to his profile), and I was that age, once.

I love how people who don't believe in Atlantis think they can just lie about the world and no one will notice... :lol:

I love how people who don't believe in Atlantis think they can just lie about the world and no one will notice... :lol:

seez the guy incapable of seeing that a map is mirrored.

seez the guy incapable of seeing that a map is mirrored.

Antarctica is still Antarctica no matter which way you look at it but no amount of lying can make me younger... :rolleyes:

Antarctica is still Antarctica no matter which way you look at it but no amount of lying can make me younger... :rolleyes:

Which shows that you cannot even identify a location on a map.

Which shows that you cannot even identify a location on a map.

I can locate Alnitak, Alnilam, Mintaka, Betelguese, Bellatrix, and Meissa on the Nabta Playa map. Can you?

Prehistoric petroglyphs of sauropods, theropods, and plesiosaurs have been found in Utah, Arizona, and Australia.

459_dino%20petroglyph%20web%203.JPG

Sauropod Petroglyph found under Kachina Bridge near Blanding, Utah

v8i9g1.jpg

So unless you think there were advanced technological civilizations in the past that had sophisticated paleontological science or means of time travel, this sets man back to 65 million B.C..

Or some dinosaurs survived the extinction event into a later period (That's assuming that those are good drawings of dinosaurs and not bad drawings of some other animal.)

Or some dinosaurs survived the extinction event into a later period (That's assuming that those are good drawings of dinosaurs and not bad drawings of some other animal.)

True. I should have mentioned that and thanks for pointing that out.

Indeed many dinosaurs did in fact survive beyond the KT boundary.

Goertzen, J., The Rhamphorhynchoid Pterosaur Scaphognathus Crassirostris: A 'Living Fossil' Until the 17th Century, Sep 1998

Fassett, J.E., New Geochronological and Stratigraphic Evidence Confims The Paleocene Age of the Dinosaur-Bearing Ojo Alamo Sandstone and Animas Formation In The San Juan Basin New Mexico and Colorado, Paleontologia Electronica, Jan 2009

Marquardt, M., Evidence Shows Some Large Dinosaurs Survived Mass Extinction, Science News Examiner, Apr 2009

Still we have evidence of Homo sapiens sapiens in the Cambrian.

I love how people who don't believe in Atlantis think they can just lie about the world and no one will notice... laugh.gif

I believed in it once, a very long time ago.

At present I am busy with Doggerland, a real submerged large stretch of land that got submerged after the end of te last ice age, and even catastrophically (North Sea). It is real, it existed, and there are lots of scientific data, but no traces of an advanced civilization, just hunter/gatherers or maybe farmers. But nevertheless it grabs me, even though I don´t expect pyramids, large cities, magic crystals and flying saucers down there, but it fascinates me. It´s true history, and scientists are really getting exited about it. And I am very sure that IF they would find something stunning and unexpected and unbelievable, we would know about it the next day.

You just think that any proof against your pet theory is a lie, but that just proves you never really investigated the ´facts´ and theories presented to you.

You are a believer, you will never except a NO.

But things will change when you get older.

"Since about 15 Ma, the continent has been mostly covered with ice,[29] with the Antarctic ice cap reaching its present extension around 6 Ma"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica

:hmm:

"Since about 15 Ma, the continent has been mostly covered with ice,[29] with the Antarctic ice cap reaching its present extension around 6 Ma"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica

:hmm:

Wikipedia is obviously not a reliable or even scientific resource.

So you think the Piri Reis map is 15 million years old?

Wikipedia is obviously not a reliable or even scientific resource.

So you think the Piri Reis map is 15 million years old?

Could you please show me Antartica on his map?

300px-Piri_reis_world_map_01.jpg

Could you please show me Antartica on his map?

300px-Piri_reis_world_map_01.jpg

It's at the bottom right.

"I find your [Charles Hapgood] arguments very impressive and have the impression that your hypothesis is correct." -- Albert Einstein, mathematician, May 8th 1953

"I think that the idea of Mr. Hapgood has to be taken quite seriously." -- Albert Einstein, mathematician, January 14th 1954

"Dear Professor Hapgood, Your request for evaluation of certain unusual features of the Piri Reis World Map of 1513 by this organization has been reviewed. The claim that the lower part of the map portrays the Princess Martha Coast of Queen Maud Land Antarctica, and the Palmer Peninsula, is reasonable. We find this is the most logical and in all probability the correct interpretation of the map. The geographical detail shown in the lower part of the map agrees very remarkably with the results of the seismic profile made across the top of the ice-cap by the Swedish-British Antarctic Expedition of 1949. This indicates the coastline had been mapped before it was covered by the ice-cap. The ice-cap in this region is now about a mile thick. We have no idea how the data on this map can be reconciled with the supposed date of geographical knowledge in 1513." -- Harold Z. Ohlmeyer, Lieutenant Colonel USAF, 1966

It's at the bottom right.

"I think that the idea of Mr. Hapgood has to be taken quite seriously." -- Albert Einstein, mathematician, January 14th 1954

"Dear Professor Hapgood, Your request for evaluation of certain unusual features of the Piri Reis World Map of 1513 by this organization has been reviewed. The claim that the lower part of the map portrays the Princess Martha Coast of Queen Maud Land Antarctica, and the Palmer Peninsula, is reasonable. We find this is the most logical and in all probability the correct interpretation of the map. The geographical detail shown in the lower part of the map agrees very remarkably with the results of the seismic profile made across the top of the ice-cap by the Swedish-British Antarctic Expedition of 1949. This indicates the coastline had been mapped before it was covered by the ice-cap. The ice-cap in this region is now about a mile thick. We have no idea how the data on this map can be reconciled with the supposed date of geographical knowledge in 1513." -- Harold Z. Ohlmeyer, Lieutenant Colonel USAF, 1966

Quit the bull and show us Antarctica on that map.