Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2012 Begining of new age

jel0sh

I haven't really heard too much about this from anywhere else but I've been thinking. I personally think its a lot more likely that if anything happens in 2012 it will probably not be the end of the world but perhaps the end of our current age & beginning of a new age. Just looking at how thinks have been developing the past few years leading up to 2012 it seems like something big might be coming, like maybe we are being prepared for something. With India & China & other countries working hard to get their men to the moon & the U.S. wanting to go back to the moon now. & it seems like our new discoveries of other planets & facts about the moon & mars might be ramping up. & you have governments in the UK finally releasing their UFO files. I personally think that things might be heading toward a major discovery or major reveal that we aren't alone in this universe & that alien life has & does visit us & this will lead us to come together in peace as a planet & venture out into space with the help of some alien technology...if they feel we are ready to get it. You know kinda like in star trek lol. What do you all think? I mean besides thinking I'm crazy.lol

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinieblas

• stereologist

• Cynical Sounds

• Coffey

I hope so, I have thought about this a lot and spoken to my girlfriend about it. (she feels the same way)

Hopefully we will be united with brothers and sisters from another world etc. (Or dimension, you never know!)

I prefer this theory to the end of the world. lol

It's the end of an age marked by the end of a calendar, in much the same way the end of the year is marked by December 31st. Nothing more or less. No ending of the world and no uniting with relatives from another planet, just the end of one day and the beginning of another.

Not to sound too contradictory but I have a great hope that science and religion will stop trying to trounce each other and accept that they cover different aspects of what is. I think the alignment will change things. I think that these things will be subtle and are well on thier way to happening now, and I know that change is constant. I have great hope for 2013 and think a positive trend in thinking is not only prudent, but also healthy, and necissary. The outlook of just another day is fine for some and better than apokolypse, but at the same time the winter solstice is in many respects a holiday. Ergo any religious speculation is up to the individual or group base on personal belief as well as parablic fact. :alien:

In other words I hope so too.

It's the end of an age marked by the end of a calendar, in much the same way the end of the year is marked by December 31st. Nothing more or less. No ending of the world and no uniting with relatives from another planet, just the end of one day and the beginning of another.

You can't say that like it is fact, you need to back up what you write if you try and say "this is how it is and there is nothing else". That is just ignorance.

I haven't really heard too much about this from anywhere else but I've been thinking. I personally think its a lot more likely that if anything happens in 2012 it will probably not be the end of the world but perhaps the end of our current age & beginning of a new age. Just looking at how thinks have been developing the past few years leading up to 2012 it seems like something big might be coming, like maybe we are being prepared for something. With India & China & other countries working hard to get their men to the moon & the U.S. wanting to go back to the moon now. & it seems like our new discoveries of other planets & facts about the moon & mars might be ramping up. & you have governments in the UK finally releasing their UFO files. I personally think that things might be heading toward a major discovery or major reveal that we aren't alone in this universe & that alien life has & does visit us & this will lead us to come together in peace as a planet & venture out into space with the help of some alien technology...if they feel we are ready to get it. You know kinda like in star trek lol. What do you all think? I mean besides thinking I'm crazy.lol

sorry but going for the obvious questions

A: how did the mayans work out that this would be the year either the government or alien life itself decides to reveal itself

B: Why do you think this was the reason behind the mayan long count ending

You can't say that like it is fact, you need to back up what you write if you try and say "this is how it is and there is nothing else". That is just ignorance.

Calendars, unless you can show otherwise, are nothing more than devices to display certain periods of time. Whether they show days, weeks, months, years, decades, centuries, millenia, or ages. The end of the 2009 calendar is followed by the beginning of the 2010 calendar even if they don't print out a single calendar. Likewise the end of the current mayan long count would be followed by the next mayan long count even if no one chisels it in stone. Of course if all life ends at the completion of the current mayan long count it's a moot point. Combine that with the statement of the current Mayan indians that is counter to the hype about Mayan predictions for 2012 and you can pretty much say with assurance what I said.

Edited by digitalartist

Yep, Nostrodamus said 2012 was the "end of the world AS WE KNOW IT" not the end of the world full stop.

The Mayan Great Ages culminate in significant, paradigm shifting events but not the END of everything; rather changes in human society. Consider the Ages in Tolkien's fiction; he based these on both Mayan and Norse sources; big important thing happens, one Age ends, a new Age begins. Things are different but not over.

Merlin spoke of the Great Change in the Mind of Man

Mother Shipton also said it was not the permanent end

every prophecy has been, as is the human wont, misunderstood and sensationalised. What MAY, and what I think WILL happen is a big change which will spell a new phase or stage in human evolution or the evolution of human society...

the Metaphysical among you might like to look up St Teilhard de Chardin and the Omega Point; this one intrigues me...and he's so far away from New Age it's scary....yet it sounds so New Age.....maybe this ontogenesis is what'll happen?

Those who I call scienciophiles though, who say "if someone hasn't written it down in complicated latin, maybe involving greek characters and mind-fuddling logic then it isn't real" will not accept anything which may sound even vaguely mystical or metaphysical unless someone "proves" it and encodes it in an over convoluted name....so don't expect them to even consider the possibility....just sit back and wait be patient and practise your best last laugh laugh!

Edited by tinieblas

Yep, Nostrodamus said 2012 was the "end of the world AS WE KNOW IT" not the end of the world full stop.

The Mayan Great Ages culminate in significant, paradigm shifting events but not the END of everything; rather changes in human society. Consider the Ages in Tolkien's fiction; he based these on both Mayan and Norse sources; big important thing happens, one Age ends, a new Age begins. Things are different but not over.

Merlin spoke of the Great Change in the Mind of Man

Mother Shipton also said it was not the permanent end

A: no the mayans did not they put no more significance to the end of this calender (thats what it is like the one u got on your wall only bigger) than any other, In other words they may have been planning a celebration but thats about it. It just a calendar like all the other calendars they used. but i guess this is just what respected historians archaeologist and modern mayans think so I guess it doesnt count

B: Merlin? like the wizard? like the wizard who first appears in Geoffrey of Monmouth fictional arthurian tales while Arther may have been based on celtic and welsh legend the exact roots are lost

C: Mother shipton is never mention 2012 specifically in any prediction and is likely a fictional construct

D: Nostradamus ahhh at least u can rely on him, so what the 1982 book contains 3 completely different styles of handwriting or that it is a copy of an original so damaged most of it could not be deciphered it 1992-2012 prediction fits in nicely and your sort of right it only indicated the world will end it doesn't specifically say it will

For those too young here to have seen the end of the X-files theories, but the TV show ends with the claim that the Mayan long count calendar marks the day that the alien invasion begins. So odd claims associated with a long unused calendar that is about to 'wrap around' to a new calendar are not new.

For those who know little about calendars I suggest you take the time to see how many different calendars are in use today. If you live in the US you might want to find out how many different days of the year Easter is celebrated. You might want to learn why determining an historical date is hard (hint: not everyone is agreeing to which calendar was in use).

jel0sh- you're theory of what 2012 means is much more in line with ancient Mayan beliefs than all the rumors going around the net. 2012 is merely the end of the largest cycle in the Mayan calendar.

(sometimes I wonder if people HOPE for the end of the world because they're bored)

*sigh* I hate to lecture on the obvious but it has always been my understanding that calendars mark the passage of a period of time AND mark the locations of key events of significance; or am I just wierd for thinking that? To ask a question, who does NOT mark birthdays, important dates and things to remember on THEIR calendar? Why could the Maya have not done the same eh?

I think the point of representing time in any concrete form is to be able to mark and indicate the positions of events within that passage of time?

Perhaps a semantic point but a valid one to my mind

Like several people here though, I do hope that some things will change because our society today is a not really worth preserving in it's current state; humanity has forgotten what it means to be human after having pretty much wiped out any peoples who still knew how to do it....pathetic

Edited by tinieblas

:lol:

So why do you think any differently? If you can't give him anything to provide facts for why would you assume that its ignorance?

Edited by lookingfortruth

A: no the mayans did not they put no more significance to the end of this calender (thats what it is like the one u got on your wall only bigger) than any other, In other words they may have been planning a celebration but thats about it. It just a calendar like all the other calendars they used. but i guess this is just what respected historians archaeologist and modern mayans think so I guess it doesnt count

the modern Mayans i work with here say different; in their culture, as it remains today (do some more research and find out about the modern Maya in Guatemala and Honduras for example

B: Merlin? like the wizard? like the wizard who first appears in Geoffrey of Monmouth fictional arthurian tales while Arther may have been based on celtic and welsh legend the exact roots are lost

hahaha do some research silly! There was more than one Myrddyn ; we only remember the Geoff and Mallory King Arthur version but there were a number of people named Merlin or Myrddyn hence the mythology about him being immortal

C: Mother shipton is never mention 2012 specifically in any prediction and is likely a fictional construct

be that as it may, she got several things right before and her books are terribly interesting

D: Nostradamus ahhh at least u can rely on him, so what the 1982 book contains 3 completely different styles of handwriting or that it is a copy of an original so damaged most of it could not be deciphered it 1992-2012 prediction fits in nicely and your sort of right it only indicated the world will end it doesn't specifically say it will

[that's why I sought out the older copies which you can find in the old bookstores popular in England, the ones with the Latin quatrain followed by English translations [/b]

to follow on also, here's some info on Myrddyn for you; there are at least 3 merlin characters in Celtic folklore; two of which Geoffory of Monmout combined; Myrddin Wylt, Myddyn Emrys & Myddyn Ambrosius; all of whom existed in descrete periods of time.

The others are up to you to research ;)

You're right tinieblas, calendars are important devices for measuring time and making culturally important predictions like when to plant, when to harvest, and when to celebrate. There is no evidence that any predictions are associated with the Mayan calendar.

If people wanted to make weird claims with the Gregorian calendar they should have made claims of the end of time associated with the missing leap day in 2000.

the modern Mayans i work with here say different; in their culture, as it remains today (do some more research and find out about the modern Maya in Guatemala and Honduras for example

I enjoyed reading this quote since I've spent a bit of time in Guatemala. An important observation is that the locals do not use the Mayan calendar, don't speak or write Mayan. If they did it would be much easier to decipher Mayan texts when they are found.

*sigh* I hate to lecture on the obvious but it has always been my understanding that calendars mark the passage of a period of time AND mark the locations of key events of significance; or am I just wierd for thinking that? To ask a question, who does NOT mark birthdays, important dates and things to remember on THEIR calendar? Why could the Maya have not done the same eh?

I think the point of representing time in any concrete form is to be able to mark and indicate the positions of events within that passage of time?

Perhaps a semantic point but a valid one to my mind

Like several people here though, I do hope that some things will change because our society today is a not really worth preserving in it's current state; humanity has forgotten what it means to be human after having pretty much wiped out any peoples who still knew how to do it....pathetic

I agree with you.

It better be a "good" age. Sick of the world how it is.

You're right tinieblas, calendars are important devices for measuring time and making culturally important predictions like when to plant, when to harvest, and when to celebrate. There is no evidence that any predictions are associated with the Mayan calendar.

If people wanted to make weird claims with the Gregorian calendar they should have made claims of the end of time associated with the missing leap day in 2000.

I enjoyed reading this quote since I've spent a bit of time in Guatemala. An important observation is that the locals do not use the Mayan calendar, don't speak or write Mayan. If they did it would be much easier to decipher Mayan texts when they are found.

you do know that there are different kinds of Guatemalans though yes? The paler-skinned "europeos" (Europeans) and the smaller, darker-skinned "indios" yes? The Indios are the ones who speak and preserve the old languages, where as the more European-looking 'Guates' speak Spanish only. The Indios are the ones you want to speak to but they tend to keep themselves to themselves and not be high up in society. I assure you that the Indios do indeed speak Maya dialects or dialects at least inspired by or related to the Mayan tongues.

www.caske2000.org/countries/guatemala/guatemalatravel.htm

for more information :)

you do know that there are different kinds of Guatemalans though yes? The paler-skinned "europeos" (Europeans) and the smaller, darker-skinned "indios" yes? The Indios are the ones who speak and preserve the old languages, where as the more European-looking 'Guates' speak Spanish only. The Indios are the ones you want to speak to but they tend to keep themselves to themselves and not be high up in society. I assure you that the Indios do indeed speak Maya dialects or dialects at least inspired by or related to the Mayan tongues.

My daughter is an Indio as you call it. And although the people may speak Mayan derived languages they do not speak the Mayan of the calendar makers. And they certainly do not read or write the language of the calendar makers.

Glad you brought the point to light. There are many people who read these forums who are unaware of the peoples of Guatemala. My wife and I used to joke that you can tell the Spanish speakers by their Madonna tee shirts.

It's a beautiful place with very nice people. I hope you are enjoying being there.

well what makes that set of mayans correct over another also this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6300744/2012-is-not-the-end-of-the-world-Mayan-elder-insists.html 1 Guatemalan chief quote as saying its not going to end

hahaha do some research silly! There was more than one Myrddyn ; we only remember the Geoff and Mallory King Arthur version but there were a number of people named Merlin or Myrddyn hence the mythology about him being immortal

you said merlin, merlin is a fictional construct based on celtic and welsh mythology Myrddyn may have existed (there are certainly references to Myrddyn in folklore) but as far as I know (and as far as I can find on any non 2012 based site) no of the Myrddyn ever made any form of 2012 based prophecy its like mother shipton no 2012 prophecy but people like to throw that in there just to make it sound more legitimate

lets see Myrddin Ambrosius (aka Aurelius Ambrosius) prophesied the defeat of the saxons........ nope no 2012 there, also Aurelius Ambrosius never existed he's a highly fictionalized version of Ambrosius Aurelianus who merely won battles not prophesied about them

Myrddin Wylt prophesied many things including his own death but again no 2012, problem here being he's first mentioned in 13th century nearly 700 years after he supposedly died so could easily be a fictional construct, also there is a near identical story called where he's called Lailoken

Myrddin Emrys is another name for Myrddin Ambrosius (aka Aurelius Ambrosius) who i've discussed above

be that as it may, she got several things right before and her books are terribly interesting

well why include her then the only prophecy she apparently made about then end of the world was the 1881 one and even that was a fake (see Harrison, W. H.: Mother Shipton Investigated, 1881)

[that's why I sought out the older copies which you can find in the old bookstores popular in England, the ones with the Latin quatrain followed by English translations [/b]

fancy giving this book a name? The only one I know of that says anything even vaguely 2012 related in the lost manuscript but I would happily be proved wrong

to follow on also, here's some info on Myrddyn for you; there are at least 3 merlin characters in Celtic folklore; two of which Geoffory of Monmout combined; Myrddin Wylt, Myddyn Emrys & Myddyn Ambrosius; all of whom existed in descrete periods of time.

The others are up to you to research ;)

I'm still looking up other names for prophets named Myddyn

Myrddin Wylt prophesied many things including his own death but again no 2012, problem here being he's first mentioned in 13th century nearly 700 years after he supposedly died so could easily be a fictional construct, also there is a near identical story called where he's called Lailoken

woops bit of a typo there I meant he was first mentioned in the 10th century and 500 years not the 13th century

Very true. It is more ignorant to think that the Mayan calander running out is the end times LOL Damn when my calander expires I throw it out and get another one LOL Simple as that. Same will happen 12/22/12 and the following week bang Mayan calander expires with no Myans around to make another.

Very true. It is more ignorant to think that the Mayan calander running out is the end times LOL Damn when my calander expires I throw it out and get another one LOL Simple as that. Same will happen 12/22/12 and the following week bang Mayan calander expires with no Myans around to make another.

or possibly a new age will begin and the new calendar-makers will come along; that the time of the Mayan influence will be over and the age of prophets complete....time for a new philosophy and a new way of living?

It's possible that something could happen. Just that most people are afraid to say anything in case nothing does and they end up looking stupid. The difference between the ones who dare not speak and those who do is that the latter group don't actually care what other people think of them (at least I don't) :)

So now this thread has disintegrated into speculations about nothing. I recommend that this thread be locked unless something substantial is posted.

just my opinion here....but the world has enough people committing suicide and joining cults that end up freaked out over the supposed end of the world and aliens being *out there*......the world is no where near....nor do i think will ever be...ready to be faced with the knowledge there are other life forms out there. :alien: