Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

new footage of lake champlain monster

Matt121

Here is the ABC news article

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AmazingAnimals/story?id=7760355&page=1

now here is the video what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT49LQMxthg

at first I thought it could be a dog swimming or something but it does look like there is more behind it but it's to hard to tell really. Ever since I first heard the echo location recorded by a marine biologist I've been wondering if there is something really in lake champlain.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miles powers

• Matt121

• Cryptid_Control

• NatureBoff

That is really weird. I agree, at first it looked like a dog but as the video goes on it becomes apparent - that ain't no dog!

Whatever it is, it's interesting...

Here is the ABC news article

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AmazingAnimals/story?id=7760355&page=1

at first I thought it could be a dog swimming or something but it does look like there is more behind it but it's to hard to tell really. Ever since I first heard the echo location recorded by a marine biologist I've been wondering if there is something really in lake champlain.

ever since the echolocation findings I have been on board with the lake champlain monster idea there must be at least something undiscovered in the lake as there are no known bio sonar producing animals in the lake but I'm with the freshwater whale theory (or at least a member of the order cetacea) rather than the its a plesiosaur theory as whales were known to live in the area up to the time lake champlian became separated from the sea

It's not very active... I wish it would do something other than bob up and down... Still a good video. :tu:

Having a realistic wake might be nice too.

ever since the echolocation findings I have been on board with the lake champlain monster idea there must be at least something undiscovered in the lake as there are no known bio sonar producing animals in the lake but I'm with the freshwater whale theory (or at least a member of the order cetacea) rather than the its a plesiosaur theory as whales were known to live in the area up to the time lake champlian became separated from the sea

Well, if the accounts of some of the local are true, and they've seen it walking on land, it is neither a whale or a plesiosaur. One theory of such creatures is a BIG, long necked, prehistoric type seal. Leopard seals already have a reptilian looking head, and many "sea monster" accounts describe manes of hair.

Edited by draconic chronicler

I've seen this before. I think the general consensus was it was most likely a log or a turtle, because it's not very far off shore and it doesn't move actively. If a "champ" were that close to the person videoing, it would be considerably larger, I'm guessing, based on the size of the wake going out/coming in. You would also probably see body movement, such as a bobbing head or rolling back, to indicate swimming. Here, there is nothing.

Edited by Ebonykrow

soooo.... your claiming it was a fake?

I think it is likely.

I could be a toy or something being pulled by someone on shore, it does go pretty close to shore. Also, it looks pretty small compared to the estimated size that other eye witnesses claim. Plus, the photographer seems way to calm for someone filming Champ.

One thing I noticed that it seems to be "kicking." Similar to a dog, but a lot larger. I'm curious what camera it was recorded on, because the zoom seemed very restricted. A log seems odd for that, because of that slight propulsion "kick" from what I see. Just my thoughts, I will be doing some analysis later tonight.

-Tim G

This footage has been discussed extensively in a previous thread (I cannot find it, though). It was less blurry then, this youtube footage appears to have been deliberately blurred.

One of the suggestions in that earlier thread was that this water monster was a dog or moose that walked on a shallow ridge to the shore; of course the camera man cut the film when the animal was about to go ashore.

Edited by Ell

Thy wake was indeed puzzling at times. I suppose it could have been a kick first impression was it seemed to have a little serpent action the head out was interesting could pass for mammalian. I don't know but at least I know from the article that it is a protected whatever it is. Assuming its not a deer during deer season.

Here is a pretty good stabilized version:

the person that posted that video called that the best evidence of champ? it is strange but the stabilized version makes it look like a log or something it doesn't really look like it's something that is alive on repeat viewings.

One thing I noticed that it seems to be "kicking." Similar to a dog, but a lot larger. I'm curious what camera it was recorded on, because the zoom seemed very restricted. A log seems odd for that, because of that slight propulsion "kick" from what I see. Just my thoughts, I will be doing some analysis later tonight.

-Tim G

Yes, the zoom is restricted and you can hear the mechanical detents in the zoom as the operator dials it up. The camera must be pretty old and primitive. The "monster" does appear to be close to the shore so someone pulling it along could be possible. Interesting though.

Edited by sinewave

• 3 months later...

-Tim G

Tim, nice to hear someone with similar thoughts on it. The wake is interesting and suggests that the body is a lot longer than seen imo. Also the movement dosen't indicate a serpentine motion, either vertically or horizontally.

1. It could be the same flippered creature as washed up in Stronsay 1808 Stronsay Beast.

2. The Daedalus report of a 'sea-serpent' is also relevant since it swam past the ship in a straight line Sea Serpent.

3. The 'horse-head' and 'walking over land' are the same reports as those of the Loch Ness monster.

Fresh water flippered giant eel is my guess.

post-94765-126597315731_thumb.jpg

post-94765-126597341672_thumb.jpg

post-94765-126597342301_thumb.jpg

Tim, nice to hear someone with similar thoughts on it. The wake is interesting and suggests that the body is a lot longer than seen imo. Also the movement dosen't indicate a serpentine motion, either vertically or horizontally.

1. It could be the same flippered creature as washed up in Stronsay 1808 Stronsay Beast.

2. The Daedalus report of a 'sea-serpent' is also relevant since it swam past the ship in a straight line Sea Serpent.

3. The 'horse-head' and 'walking over land' are the same reports as those of the Loch Ness monster.

In Scotland they call them 'water horses' Wiki Water Horse

post-94765-126598457419_thumb.jpg

I do recall reading some type of information on the Plesiosaur sightings and how it's possible that there's still a couple around since whatever they eat is still accessible here in some places. I think the closest answer we are ever going to get at is the possible existance of a Plesiosaur. :hmm:

its fake ive seen something like this before in the loch ness from a couple of students diving with air tanks with a rubber skinned mock up of nessy on there backs bobbing up and down then going fully down to finish off they also did an anomatronic model for a more realistic nessy i dont know how that turned out though

I started a topic about the Sonstray Beast a while back, il see if I can dig it up. They ruled it was a Basking Shark.

The video where you can see the head under the water is a fake. I recall it being from a movie..? Correct me if im wrong. It could have been from a student film.

The most common answer is a pleseosaur as in Loch Ness and Lake Champlain there are large sfish and sturgeons.

sturgeon-370_12664_1.jpg

Edit: Aha, I found it!Stronsay Beast thread!

Edited by Cryptid_Control

Last I heard, the large fish and sturgeon in Loch Ness were seasonal, aye?

Last I heard, the large fish and sturgeon in Loch Ness were seasonal, aye?

There still would be other fish. Even though there MIGHT be a food source I still dont belive it could go undetected other than some grainy photos and a short video clip.

Edit: Punctuation

Edited by Cryptid_Control