Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nasa debunks-why world will NOT end in 2012

Owlscrying

Fears that the world is due to end in December 2012 is just a myth fuelled by internet rumour, according to a leading Nasa scientist.

In an article published by the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, Dr Morrison has answered the top 20 questions in an attempt to assuage these fears.

According to the theories on the internet, the calendar used by the ancient civilisation of the Mayans is due to come to an end in December 2012.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• Hazzard

• Captain Zim

• Legaia

I don't think it matters anymore people who wrote these 2012 books and this new movie thats comming out already got its moneys worth!

Finally. And I agree with A. But I wonder how many will say he's just another of the conspirators...

It's because the Mayan OS couldn't handle numbers beyond 2012. Seriously though, the Mayan "prophecies" really talk about the end of an era.

As for doomsday scenarios, we are already staring down the barrel of catastrophic global warming. Won't blow up the world, but widespread drought, flooding etc. will pretty much take a large chunk of civilisation with it.

It's because the Mayan OS couldn't handle numbers beyond 2012. Seriously though, the Mayan "prophecies" really talk about the end of an era.

As for doomsday scenarios, we are already staring down the barrel of catastrophic global warming. Won't blow up the world, but widespread drought, flooding etc. will pretty much take a large chunk of civilisation with it.

Yeah.... So does just about every religion and their books too.. whats your point? I actually believe 2012 marked an anniversary for some amazing celebration that they planned to have every five thousand-some years, the last one being that many years ago.

I don't really have the energy to get into this right now, but climate change has been a part of the earth's history forever - it fluctuates. I definitely support all efforts to make for a 'greener' world, but only because it is better for the environment and for us, but not because the world will end if we don't.

Edited by Legaia

What's utterly distressing is that a scientist had to come out and actually address this nonsense.

Classical Mayan scholars agree that this doomsday 2012 end of the Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar is nonsense.

And besides, it didn't really matter if the calendar ended in 2012 (and that is also not something agreed upon by scholars in the field); it didn't serve the classical Mayan civilization beyond its demise, over 1100 years ago, and Maya today have no idea what all the hoopla over this is about.

Even if there was some association with the end of the world and the termination of the Long Count Calendar's cycle...the classical Mayans were wrong, as their world ended over a millennium before their calendar allegedly ran out.

The calendar is archaic and obsolete and inapplicable to anyone but archaeologists and anthropologists.

The 2012 nonsense is related to the 2000 nonsense, and all the other nonsense associted with numerological interpretations of dates (like 6-6-06, 7-7-07, 10-10-10, etc...). It's all really just people not using their energies to learn, but rather being lazy and believing too much.

Maybe the Mayans managed to figure out when the Age of Aquarius would begin.

What's utterly distressing is that a scientist had to come out and actually address this nonsense.

Classical Mayan scholars agree that this doomsday 2012 end of the Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar is nonsense.

And besides, it didn't really matter if the calendar ended in 2012 (and that is also not something agreed upon by scholars in the field); it didn't serve the classical Mayan civilization beyond its demise, over 1100 years ago, and Maya today have no idea what all the hoopla over this is about.

Even if there was some association with the end of the world and the termination of the Long Count Calendar's cycle...the classical Mayans were wrong, as their world ended over a millennium before their calendar allegedly ran out.

The calendar is archaic and obsolete and inapplicable to anyone but archaeologists and anthropologists.

The 2012 nonsense is related to the 2000 nonsense, and all the other nonsense associted with numerological interpretations of dates (like 6-6-06, 7-7-07, 10-10-10, etc...). It's all really just people not using their energies to learn, but rather being lazy and believing too much.

Amen to that!!

Even if Pythagoras, Plato, Kepler, Galileo, and Einstein were all numerologists it would not make the theory of numerology one iota more plausible.

Amen to that!!

Even if Pythagoras, Plato, Kepler, Galileo, and Einstein were all numerologists it would not make the theory of numerology one iota more plausible.

True enough.

Mark my words...a year from now, some insane thing will be slated to occur on 10 October, 2010.

The same will follow on 11 November, 2011, and of course on 12 December, 2012.

Can you imagine what will occur on New Year in the year 2222???

:w00t:

Can you imagine what will occur on New Year in the year 2222???

:w00t:

Yes I can.... the year 2222...

2 aliens will take 2 hours to explain to 2 believers that they never visited the Earth until 2 day. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hazzard

sooooooooooo i wonder what all these pple who believe in the 'end' on dec 21, 2012 believers are gonna say when they wake up to same old same old on dec 22 2012?

prolly regret not buying xmas pressies for dec 25 and be out doing their late min shopping with red faces.

sooooooooooo i wonder what all these pple who believe in the 'end' on dec 21, 2012 believers are gonna say when they wake up to same old same old on dec 22 2012?

prolly regret not buying xmas pressies for dec 25 and be out doing their late min shopping with red faces.

A plausible scenario...

A plausible scenario...

even in the bible. the so called end of the world isn't the end. but a beginning new earth, new heaven and all that stuff.

and according to the bible no one but god knows when that will be, not even christ.

so i am not going to worry about it until the dome of the rock is destroyed by what ever means it is destroyed.

2012 is the end of an era and that's all. The Mayans should have extended their calendar, but didn't.

YES.

People just need something to be scared of and/or something to start fear mongering about.

YES.

People just need something to be scared of and/or something to start fear mongering about.

It's that "need" which is the real issue...something definitely worth studying.

If past experience is anything, their beliefs will be strengthened. Similar things have happened when the prophecied End of the World didn't happen for all sorts of religious groups, and yet the same groups survive today.

The strongest explanation is that their prayers averted the end of the world: "See why you should join us? The world didn't end today because of our actions." Alternatively, the calculations were wrong, and the REAL end of the world will be in XXX days/years/centuries.

So if the Earth isn't torn apart by Nibiru in 2012, it's because: 1 - Some stronger force turned Nibiru aside, this stronger force either being the psychic powers of humans, or a second alien race; 2 - Nibiru will actually be returning with asteroid Apophis in 2029; 3 - Believers will claim that they were tricked into believing in Nibiru by some secret government conspiracy. *

* In my hubris, I'll ask people to keep track of this page and see if the exact words of any of these explanations appear in early 2013.

I always get this image of the Mayans having this one guy write out the whole calendar because he is the only one who can write.... but then he falls ill and dies before he can carry on...

Thousands of years later and everyone is screaming about the end of the world. LMFAO