Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
questionmark

Hate crimes bill goes to Obama for signature

questionmark
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate passed groundbreaking legislation Thursday that would make it a federal crime to assault an individual because of his or her sexual orientation or gender identity.

The expanded federal hate crimes law now goes to President Obama's desk.Obama has pledged to sign the measure, which was added to a $680 billion defense authorization bill.

President George W. Bush had threatened to veto a similar measure.

arrow3.gifRead more...

preacherman76

Here comes the thought crime police.

AROCES

Bravo, we pass a hate crime bill just about every other month.

Obama is on a roll now, Great President!wacko.gif

questionmark

Bravo, we pass a hate crime bill just about every other month.

Obama is on a roll now, Great President!wacko.gif

See the bright side: If they keep up at this rate b****ing 'bout your hero will be a hate crime too.

AROCES

See the bright side: If they keep up at this rate b****ing 'bout your hero will be a hate crime too.

Oh Gee, so we have another one? So when will you have Obama sign your hate crime, next month?

Wickian

I don't think race/sexual orientation crimes should be treated any different than any other crime. You punch a guy in the face because you hate him(at the time at least), may as well make every non-pleasant emotional crime towards another person a hate crime while we're at it.

Drego

I don't think race/sexual orientation crimes should be treated any different than any other crime. You punch a guy in the face because you hate him(at the time at least), may as well make every non-pleasant emotional crime towards another person a hate crime while we're at it.

I agree, but I support this bill, because, although I'm critical of the necessity for hate crime legislation, if it has to be there, then it MUST include sexual orientation.

The Silver Thong

I'm of the opinion there should be one law for all. We can't give special groups special laws. It will become a nightmare.

Ufo Believer

I'm going with TST, there should be one law for all. :) But I also agree with Drego, how many people get beat up for being stright.