Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

6 year old talks about end of the world

Amariel

I agree, that didn't seem all that helpful. Let's refrain from wording things in that sort of accusative way.

Edited by Paranormalcy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amariel

• Rosewin

• skya

• HerNibs

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for some advice about my 6 year old sister. She came home from school last week talking about how she read a book that told her the world was going to end and that everyone was going to die. My dad just assumed it was something she heard her teacher say, and he asked her why her teacher would say something like that. My sister looked at him like he was stupid and said "Mrs. 'G' doesn't have the book - I found it. She wouldn't like to read the book because it says that she dies". We thought it was a little strange, and morbid, but just put it down to her having a vivid imagination along with picking up something about the Mayan's at school somehow. A few days later, however, she came into my room and told me she was really scared to tell my dad that the book says that he dies. I asked her what she was talking about and she told me that almost all of the adults will die, and even some of the kids, and that all the people who are left are going to go to America (we live in Australia). She looked so serious that at this point she started to scare me a little. I asked her when all of this is going to happen, and she said 2 years or a little bit longer, so I asked her if I was going to die too and she said that she didn't know - the book hasn't told her yet. I also asked her where she found this book and she told me down at the back of the oval (which, might I add, is out of bounds at their school) and she also said that she's the only one who can see it. I told my dad what he said, and he just insisted that she has a very overactive imagination (which, I'm inclined to agree with at times). At the start of this week, my dad went in to drop my sister off at school and mentioned to her teacher about the end of the world talk and how he didn't think year 1's were taught anything like that. The teacher apparently looked at my dad as if he were crazy and said that the end of the world isn't even close to any of the curriculum taught at the school and she has no idea where a 6 year old would pick up such an idea. We're now all stumped as to how my sister is coming out with all this talk of the end of the world, and to be honest it's starting to scare me. Does anyone have any advice or any explanation as to what's going on with her?

**Just as a side note, she's 6 so she can't even read all that well

Dear Amariel,

Your dad did the right thing by first questioning the teacher. I would have done exactly the same thing but maybe taken it a bit further... I would have asked for permission to go to "The back of the oval" and look around. If there is an actual book maybe it is tucked away behind another book or fallen behind or under a shelf where others wouldn't readily notice it? Maybe that's what she means by "no one else can see it" . Also, since she isn't suppose to be in that area maybe she can only find a little time to slip away and look at a little bit of the book at a time? Maybe that's what she meant by " the book hasn't told me yet"? If they would allow you to do this be sure and get on your knees to look around so you will be at her level. This would be the first course of action to pursue. The logical, try to find actual concrete proof you can see.

Also, Others are correct when they say that kids absorb a lot more than we realize from many sources. Do you watch the show Ghost Whisperer? The is a running storyline right now that involves a magical book that writes and re-writes the future. In the book there are names of people who are going to die.

If all else fails. There is nothing wrong w/ taking your sister to someone to talk w/ her. She may feel more comfortable talking w/ someone not so close to her actually. Even If you find a real book, something about all this is obviously really bothering her. I once had such a horrible vivid nightmare about someone I love dying that I wouldn't even tell anyone about it for years for fear that saying it out loud would make it real. And I was grown at the time. lol.

She may indeed be gifted. I am open minded, I believe there are many things that may exist (psychics, profits, Aliens, ghost, ect..). Not having personal experience w/ these things dose'nt mean they aren't real. And if this is indeed the case here.. She could still benefit from talking w/ a counselor. Just make sure that they actually spend more time w/ your sister than they do w/ her family. My oldest saw a few different ones and a lot of them want to spend 75% of the session talking w/ the family and I found this very UN-productive.

At any rate, please let us know how she's doing. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and your family.

One possibility is that your sister is apart of the new race of super psychic children. The phenomenon is worldwide and seems mainly to be present in children currently aged between 5 and 12 years old. These children are said to have the qualities to endure the holocaust type changes between the years 2010-2012. More information about these children can be found on the web. Just do a search on china's super psychic kids, indigo children, crystal children, children of the new earth, or star children.

I'm not saying I believe this one-hundred percent, but I've seen home videos of two of these kids and it's very interesting to say the least.

Thats a bit below the belt Walt :no:

The OP is only worried and trying to make sense of whats going on with her kid sister,

I'm sure we aren't the only resource shes using to help the Kid.

so lets try to keep it constructive for her eh! :tu:

re reading that I did come off a bit dickish sorry I was trying to point out that we can be an influence in those younger than us (who look up to us) even when we don't realize it.

my bad

re reading that I did come off a bit dickish sorry I was trying to point out that we can be an influence in those younger than us (who look up to us) even when we don't realize it.

my bad

Takes a big man to admit his mistakes Walt - you did good! :tu:

I believe that the word Apocalypse actually means to " unveil " or a A prophetic disclosure; a revelation. So no worries k :yes:

This is true.

Some people have asked to have a few things clarified - my parents are divorced and my dad has since remarried. My sister is in joint custody and spends time with both our parents as well as with our step mother, and she is very lucky to have a good relationship with all 3 parental figures. As just a side note, the divorce happened years ago - my sister was still a baby; for her my parents have always been separated. In regards to TV shows that she may have picked up on, my dad and step mum are very careful with what's on TV (as they also have an almost 2 year old) and make sure that nothing that is overly violent or frightening is on when the kids are awake. Also, the times that shows such as Ghost Whisperer (starlight64) are on in Australia, my sister is long asleep.

The reason I haven't posted in a while is because my sister has since had her first few counselling sessions and we were waiting to see if anything changed and what the counsellor had to say. She seems happier now that she has someone to talk to (the counsellor) and we think this is because we seemed worried or concerned whenever she brought it up with us, but the counsellor doesn't. The counsellor so far has been unable to give us any hints about why my sister has started this end of the world talk, she says that at the moment she's just trying to understand what exactly it is my sister is thinking.

Well thank you for the update, and it does sometime get lost in paranormal forum discussions, but in cases like this, at the end of the day, the truly IMPORTANT thing is that your sister is doing okay, whatever the end of the world stuff is about is secondary. It will likely just take time, if she EVER makes it clear as to what this was all about. Still, it IS a puzzle.

Some people have asked to have a few things clarified - my parents are divorced and my dad has since remarried. My sister is in joint custody and spends time with both our parents as well as with our step mother, and she is very lucky to have a good relationship with all 3 parental figures. As just a side note, the divorce happened years ago - my sister was still a baby; for her my parents have always been separated. In regards to TV shows that she may have picked up on, my dad and step mum are very careful with what's on TV (as they also have an almost 2 year old) and make sure that nothing that is overly violent or frightening is on when the kids are awake. Also, the times that shows such as Ghost Whisperer (starlight64) are on in Australia, my sister is long asleep.

The reason I haven't posted in a while is because my sister has since had her first few counselling sessions and we were waiting to see if anything changed and what the counsellor had to say. She seems happier now that she has someone to talk to (the counsellor) and we think this is because we seemed worried or concerned whenever she brought it up with us, but the counsellor doesn't. The counsellor so far has been unable to give us any hints about why my sister has started this end of the world talk, she says that at the moment she's just trying to understand what exactly it is my sister is thinking.

Amariel,

Thanks so much for the update. I too am very happy to hear your lil sis is doing better. I hope all continues to go well for her and your family.

take care ;)

:tu: good to here she is ok. i can't lie tho im still pritty interested in "the book" she got it from. but thats just me being curios and nosey.. hope she remains happy :yes:

The only thing that kinda worries me here is the fact that I've never heard of a mere child 'just picking up ideas on her own' about the world ending and, worse yet, family members dying.

I dunno. When I was in the first grade we all knew that "an old man with a big knife" hid in school restrooms, chopped little kids into pieces, and then threw the remains down the nearest sewer.

I didn't realize until nearly a decade later that our "old man" had been the recently-convicted 16-year-old (!) William Hierens, the "For God's Sake, Catch Me Before I Kill More" slayer who'd then only recently been convicted for doing almost exactly that to five-year-old Susanne Degman.

Likewise, the "Phantom Clown" scares which erupted across the Eastern United States during 1981 seem to be stories of serial killer John Wayne ("Pogo the Clown") Gacy, apprehended in December, 1978, percolating (and indeed festering) down to childhood level.

Edited by OldTimeRadio

It is true that a child will pick information from virtually anything. However, it is more of a question if she see's this as a good or bad thing. Legally speaking a child can only be criminally charge at 12 which is assuming that that's when they truly know the difference between good and evil (bad). Notwithstanding this fact at the age of 6, would her mind be developed enough to interpret this book of the end of the world where your family member will die? This is a big subject, Death is a big subject that most children don't understand until they are a certain age.

This story however reminds me a lot of the Movie, Knowing.

It can be an arguable subject that if she was exposed to this movie, that she might have been able to interpret that into her own little story, With Dad and older sister as characters.

This story however reminds me a lot of the Movie, Knowing.

It can be an arguable subject that if she was exposed to this movie, that she might have been able to interpret that into her own little story, With Dad and older sister as characters.

I guess it would be possible for her to do this, but I've never actually even heard of this movie and I definitely haven't seen it. And like I've said in the past, my parents are very careful with what they let my sister watch, mostly for the purpose of not scaring her with stuff she is too young to understand or to know is not real.

I guess it would be possible for her to do this, but I've never actually even heard of this movie and I definitely haven't seen it. And like I've said in the past, my parents are very careful with what they let my sister watch, mostly for the purpose of not scaring her with stuff she is too young to understand or to know is not real.

True, does she ever go to other people's house's like a friend, to have sleep overs?

perhaps she got it from there, or as one person has stated, from the store on the TV for sale. Since it's a new release, they play movies like that.

Oh and the movie is called Knowing with the the star, Nicolas Cage, his sun finds this page, where it contains numbers in it, (not a spoiler, was in the preview.

When nick looks carefully at the page, he discovers that the numbers are date of when great disaster happens, and how many people will die.

And when also coordination to location of where it will happen. When the number run out, it's the end of the world.

I placed spoilers because I explain the plot of the story. And some people have yet to watch it.

Now using that plot scenario, replacing that page of numbers with a book found at school, which by the way, the page was found in school.

It is in my belief she could have used that with her own imagination.

But alas, this is but a mere hypothesis, and but one out of millions of possibility.

I wish you luck on finding out more Friend, please continue to update us of the situation and we are all worried for your sister as well :)

This happens alot she probably is just getting all this stuff from her friends that perhaps got it from there parents or tv. This kind of stuff happens alot.

In answer to SolidSnake's question, she does occasionally play at friend's places, never sleep overs (my parents still feel she's a bit young for that), and generally my step mum (who is friends with my sister's friend's parents) is there too and I feel that, if the kids were going to watch something that was too old for them, she would speak up and say she'd prefer my sister not to.

And Mr ET, she may have gotten it from her friends, but all in all, 6 year olds talking about their family members dying and the world ending is a pretty morbid topic. I'd be worried if any child began talking like that. She hasn't mentioned about any of her friends reading this 'book' or about them at all in connection to the world ending, and we have asked her on the chance that maybe she has gotten it from her friends, but so far it seems to just be something she is talking about.

As an update on the counselling issue, the counsellor and my dad sat down a few days ago to talk about the sessions; the counsellor feels that my sister has no psychological problems that may have triggered these ideas, although she does want to talk to her more about my parent's separation. Other than that, she says that my sister is well-adjusted and is a fairly normal 6 year old and can see no reason for her to believe that the world is going to end. Now she's just hoping to figure out if my sister hasn't picked these ideas up from school or her friends and just interpreted them in her own way, but the next few sessions should tell us that.

I haven't had any dealings with psychiatrists but I have had with psychologists. The main thing they impressed me with were that they were the craziest people I ever met. I really don't see how they stayed out of the insane asylum. KB

In answer to SolidSnake's question, she does occasionally play at friend's places, never sleep overs (my parents still feel she's a bit young for that), and generally my step mum (who is friends with my sister's friend's parents) is there too and I feel that, if the kids were going to watch something that was too old for them, she would speak up and say she'd prefer my sister not to.

And Mr ET, she may have gotten it from her friends, but all in all, 6 year olds talking about their family members dying and the world ending is a pretty morbid topic. I'd be worried if any child began talking like that. She hasn't mentioned about any of her friends reading this 'book' or about them at all in connection to the world ending, and we have asked her on the chance that maybe she has gotten it from her friends, but so far it seems to just be something she is talking about.

As an update on the counselling issue, the counsellor and my dad sat down a few days ago to talk about the sessions; the counsellor feels that my sister has no psychological problems that may have triggered these ideas, although she does want to talk to her more about my parent's separation. Other than that, she says that my sister is well-adjusted and is a fairly normal 6 year old and can see no reason for her to believe that the world is going to end. Now she's just hoping to figure out if my sister hasn't picked these ideas up from school or her friends and just interpreted them in her own way, but the next few sessions should tell us that.

Well I'm just happy to hear your lil sister is ok. That after all is the most important thing in all this.

Where she might have heard or read these things, is something that you'll find out in time I suppose.

She seems happier now that she has someone to talk to (the counsellor) and we think this is because we seemed worried or concerned whenever she brought it up with us, but the counsellor doesn't.
the only thing you can do it not panic so your sister is not panicked as well, saying 'do not panic' will only make things worse since children follow by example.

Told you so. Not like you cannot help being worried or concerned for her though.

More importantly though, since you are dismissive of every suggestion offered of what it all might possibly be, is this question: What do you think it could all be about? The book and such? What is your personal theory...we all have hunches whether they are just that, flimsy hunches without any proof.

Edited by Rosewin

More importantly though, since you are dismissive of every suggestion offered of what it all might possibly be, is this question: What do you think it could all be about? The book and such? What is your personal theory...we all have hunches whether they are just that, flimsy hunches without any proof.

I don't feel that I have been dismissive of every suggestion that people have offered. I don't feel that I have been dismissive at all. It's just that everyone has been going straight for the 'Oh, she picked it up from her friends/school/tv' theory. It could very well turn out that it is all just a fantasy she has created for herself based on ideas she got from tv or her friends - and if this is the case, I'll accept it. My original post was all to do with the fact that I thought it strange a 6 year old would say something like this, especially with the supposed end of the world 2 years from now (just as she told us it would be). I've said before that I don't believe the world is going to end in 2012, and it's not really a topic of conversation amongst people that I know, so to me, my sister saying something like this seemed totally out of the blue and pretty unusual. I don't have a particular theory about this scenario at all, which is why I created a post to see what others thought.

holy crap she found the book of life!

man are some of the old ones are gonna be p***ed!

to think it was in a school library all along.

I don't feel that I have been dismissive of every suggestion that people have offered. I don't feel that I have been dismissive at all. It's just that everyone has been going straight for the 'Oh, she picked it up from her friends/school/tv' theory. It could very well turn out that it is all just a fantasy she has created for herself based on ideas she got from tv or her friends - and if this is the case, I'll accept it. My original post was all to do with the fact that I thought it strange a 6 year old would say something like this, especially with the supposed end of the world 2 years from now (just as she told us it would be). I've said before that I don't believe the world is going to end in 2012, and it's not really a topic of conversation amongst people that I know, so to me, my sister saying something like this seemed totally out of the blue and pretty unusual. I don't have a particular theory about this scenario at all, which is why I created a post to see what others thought.

That is fair and there is nothing wrong with being dismissive either especially when you feel it does not fit. I was more asking if you felt like a weird feeling or something about it all, you know a gut feeling, an instinct, we should always listen to those. I'm guessing though that you just do not know what to make out of it and do not feel anything strange within yourself though either?

Might ask her, if you lean this direction, to read the cover or inside and find out what the name of the book is, and who wrote it, what it looks like, etc.? That could help determine validity or non- of what she's saying. I remember having a dream about a clown telling me he was going to kill me dad, when I was terribly young, and for weeks I went around horrified and sick with concern, like it absolutely was real and a threat. I'd say your sister heard all this apocalypse nonsense from probably more than one various place(s) in their daily routines, and has incorporated it into some of her mental processes.

Excellent deductive reasoning!

That is fair and there is nothing wrong with being dismissive either especially when you feel it does not fit. I was more asking if you felt like a weird feeling or something about it all, you know a gut feeling, an instinct, we should always listen to those. I'm guessing though that you just do not know what to make out of it and do not feel anything strange within yourself though either?

You're pretty much spot on with that actually. I don't really know what to make of what she's saying, especially as it's something I don't overly believe in myself.