Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Buddha real or just a statue?

joc

Edited remark Is he a God or a statue? Discuss. wink2.gif Edited by Magikman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chauncy

• Ozmeister

• Falco Rex

• Stellar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the winner of the Most Likely Thread to get locked is..... laugh.gif

Edited inflamatory remark Edited by Magikman

Is he a God or a statue? Discuss

The most basic role of Buddha images is to convey the feeling of calm and detachment that reflects proper mental discipline with control over the negative emotions of fear and greed. The Buddha's serene appearance sets an example for his followers.

Buddha statues and other Buddhist art also serve an important role in conveying teachings, particularly in traditional societies with low rates of literacy. Classic postures are associated with particular lessons and/or moments in the Buddha’s life. Production of religious art is considered a generous or “merit making” activity because it helps spread Buddhist teaching and reduce people’s suffering

Edited by Magikman

I think that several are missing the point that joc is attempting to make some sort of a statement... rolleyes.gif

I'm not missing the point.... look at my reply.... its as constructif as his original.gif

He is? What could it be? rolleyes.gif

Now we're bordering on the ridiculously facetious, joc. All this thread is, is just an attempt on your part to be "smart" about the Jesus thread.

FYI....."Buddha" was a real person, just like Jesus. His name was Guattama Siddhartha and he was born around the middle of the 6th Century BC. No, he is not a god but he is venerated as a wise holy man. He, in fact, is one of several "Buddhas", or elightened people. Another funny "coincidence" is that Jesus' own teachings bear an uncanny resemblance to what Siddhartha taught. I wonder why...hmmmmmm??.

Right now he's almost trolling.

The best part of all the other beliefs you sighted is not a single one of them tries to SELL their beliefs to others, indeed they do not FORCE it on others.

The best part of all the other beliefs you sighted is not a single one of them tries to SELL their beliefs to others, indeed they do not FORCE it on others.

Tell that to the Taliban. ohmy.gif

Do you mean that you don't get the Budhists knocking at your door on Sunday morning handing out literature and telling you that you will go to hell if you don't convert? Hmmm...

But there was the Inquisition were all of the hindus tortured the peasants until they converted...oh wait that wasn't the hindus, nevermind.

But with the crusades...umm...right.

You have a point. thumbsup.gif

....and the Taliban (and other sects of Islam), are an extension of Judeo-Christianity, with the cultural and tribal beliefs of the Arabs thrown in for good measure. Of course it has evolved over time, but in essence it is nothing more than that.

Just as Christianity is an extension of Judaism.

i'll have to admit though that when I read that this thread name I almost had a cow laughing so hard.....sounded like something my nephew would ask.....lol

We could use these threads to educate each other on these beliefs as well.

One of the Buddha's disciples asked him oneday "What is the meaning of existence??".....the Buddha picked up a lotus flower and held it in his hand, smiling. He sat there like that for awhile admiring the flower and when his followers asked why he hadn't answered the question, he replied "but I just did".

Do you know what the answer is??

Jesus tried to teach the same, but as with Guattama, it was lost on his followers for the most of it.

What is the meaning of existence??".....

Could he have meant that the meaning of existence is to appreciate the beauty of existence?

That is a small part of it, but not the most important part. The appreciation of beauty is the recognition of the importance of love in the makeup of existence.

The appreciation of beauty is the recognition of the importance of love in the makeup of existence.

Makes sense, how could someone love if they don't see beauty.

There was a story I remember about a girl that asked Buddha if he was hungry or brought him food because she thought he was hungry, but what he was was spiritually hungry. Anyway I remember it being a very enlightening story.

user posted image

Right now he's almost trolling.

Almost?

He's bloody down right trolling.

Here's the story I was talking about , with the girl bringing Buddha food. Seems this is where he reaches the state of enlightement called Nirvana.

Once Buddha was in a dejected mood as he did not succeed in his Yogic practices. He knew not where to go and what to do. A village girl noticed his sorrowful face. She approached him and said to him in a polite manner: "Revered sir, may I bring some food for you ? It seems you are very hungry". Gautama looked at her and said, "What is your name, my dear sister ?". The maiden answered, "Venerable sir, my name is Sujata". Gautama said, "Sujata, I am very hungry. Can you really appease my hunger ?"

The innocent Sujata did not understand Gautama. Gautama was spiritually hungry. He was thirsting to attain supreme peace and Self-realization. He wanted spiritual food. Sujata placed some food before Gautama and entreated him to take it. Gautama smiled and said, "Beloved Sujata, I am highly pleased with your kind and benevolent nature. Can this food appease my hunger ?". Sujata replied, "Yes sir, it will appease your hunger. Kindly take it now". Gautama began to eat the food underneath the shadow of a large tree, thenceforth to be called as the great 'Bo-tree' or the tree of wisdom.

Gautama sat in a meditative mood underneath the tree from early morning to sunset, with a fiery determination and an iron resolve: "Let me die. Let my body perish. Let my flesh dry up. I will not get up from this seat till I get full illumination". He plunged himself into deep meditation.

At night he entered into deep Samadhi (superconscious state) underneath that sacred Bo-tree (Pipal tree or ficus religiosa). He was tempted by Maya in a variety of ways, but he stood adamant. He did not yield to Maya's allurements and temptations. He came out victorious with full illumination. He attained Nirvana (liberation). His face shone with divine splendour and effulgence. He got up from his seat and danced in divine ecstasy for seven consecutive days and nights around the sacred Bo-tree.

Then he came to the normal plane of consciousness. His heart was filled with profound mercy and compassion. He wanted to share what he had with humanity. He traveled all over India and preached his doctrine and gospel. He became a saviour, deliverer, redeemer http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/saints/buddha.htm

The Maya that tempted him seems to be a female personification of all earthy desires or aspirations from what I can gather. I really dig this Buddha dude he offers sound advice!!

Joc,

Starting threads which incorporate deliberately denigrating titles and opening comments is inappropriate and inexcusable. You might feel justified, but you've gone beyond the limits of decency and civility by trying to make your point. While I might understand your frustration, I have little tolerance for spiteful, inflammatory behavior. There are more constructive, non-derogatory ways to express your opinion, it appears you'll need several days to ponder how to formulate them.

Additionally, Stellar, this is a warning to you to refrain from making offensive, spiteful remarks which only inflame an already volatile subject. You'd have been better served reporting the post rather than posting a sarcastic comment.

Magikman

A very interesting story, Chauncy.

A few years back, the present Pope released a Papl Bull on other religions, especially Buddhism, in which he said that the attainment of Nirvana as a core of Buddhism was wishy washy and such. It just goes to show you how much the Pope misunderstood the whole concept. Like a lot of things which Christians seem to misunderstand.

It just goes to show you how much the Pope misunderstood the whole concept.

From what I've been reading the buddhists beliefs are very intune with humanity and the world, Any person of any culture could relate with this belief.

Its funny though, alot of these beliefs if we were to take a bit from each one and live by those codes .....man....this would be a great place to live......not saying this world is so bad I want to leave, but I do want to see things get better. It seems that people wanted to see this long ago as well.

user posted image

They are......I find myself drawn to the ideas and teachings of the Buddha, although I have no want of becoming a Buddhist as such. The teachings have a very strong resonance with me. His own ideas of the nature of reality accord quite strongly with my own. However there are differences.

But his ideas of how everyone should strive to be would do this planet in good stead.

But his ideas of how everyone should strive to be would do this planet in good stead.

Have you ever read anything by the Dalai Lama? One of my favorite books:

post-14-1085638490.jpg