Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wicca: Fact or Fiction?

joc

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• Chauncy

• KevinM

• zandore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you CloudedMoon thumbsup.gif I know I might seem wacked out to most people, but I think you can believe in a higher power without getting it mixed up with hard science. Since no religion fit my beliefs, I made up my own set of rules..

OK, so that does sound weird now that I've read it.. wacko.gif

This may have been mentioned, as I haven't read the entire thread, but am I the only one who thinks if this was 'Christainity: Fact or Fiction?' it would have locked by now? huh.gif

This may have been mentioned, as I haven't read the entire thread, but am I the only one who thinks if this was 'Christainity: Fact or Fiction?' it would have locked by now? 

Me thinks ye maybe right about that. Worse get ye booted off the site. It is hard not to talk about mysteries and history and not include some religion. It is like looking for Noah's ark. If you believe the story it is there, if you don't it is not.

But when you ask is Wicca: Fact or Fiction you are stepping on someones toes. On top of that it is a nonsensical question. There is no way to prove or disprove. It is a waste of TIME.

cloudedmoon

Thank you CloudedMoon thumbsup.gif I know I might seem wacked out to most people, but I think you can believe in a higher power without getting it mixed up with hard science. Since no religion fit my beliefs, I made up my own set of rules..

OK, so that does sound weird now that I've read it.. wacko.gif

If we can avoid too many peanuts from the gallery comming from the low IQ fundie Xian nutballs, perhaps a theological challenge of sorts would prove a fun debate.

Each taking it in turns to set some portion of either scientific fact OR unexplained mystery for the other to explain how it fits into their theological outlook.

Of course there are no 'right or wrong' answers where you are talking about 'belief' but you do have to ensure your theological standpoint is coherent as any contradictions in your answers are guarenteed to be pointed out in a place like this?

Are you game Falco? cool.gif

If so, what forum would you consider it best placed in?

Talon S. Posted on Jun 7 2004, 03:50 AM

This may have been mentioned, as I haven't read the entire thread, but am I the only one who thinks if this was 'Christainity: Fact or Fiction?' it would have locked by now? 

And to CloudedMoon, this has not turned into a flame war.. (rest assured it is being watched) seems that when it comes to subjects like this people are more tolerant, wanting willing to listen to others views, rather than stick stubbornly to thier own Dogma...

Maybe few could learn from this??? devil.gif

And a suggestion to Falco and Fenris... the debates part might be good if you speak to SaRuMaN about it... thumbsup.gif

Edited by Celti

seems that when it comes to subjects like this people are more tolerant

I'm guessing because hardly anyone here's a Wicca so there's no 'must defend viewpoint to the end' line of thought by the majority of posters.

I'll just say I think it's as valid as any other religion then, and we'll all find out which is the right one when our time comes.

Edited by Talon S.

Talon S. Posted on Jun 7 2004, 03:33 PM

I'm guessing because hardly anyone here's a Wicca so there's no 'must defend viewpoint to the end' line of thought by the majority of posters.

That's a pretty big assumption my freind, and you are wrong..There are quite a few if you look and see. thumbsup.gif

I'll just say I think it's as valid as any other religion then, and we'll all find out which is the right one when our time comes.

Why does there have to be a 'right one' or a 'wrong one'?

It would seem that if any belief set promotes good and stresses harmony with nature and all its creatures is in fact a 'Right one'.

The only time I could see a belief set or religion as being the 'wrong one' would be if it proves detrimental to society and to progression.

Mankind needs to stop teaching the idea of a final judgement where salvation is rewarded for deification......it is this mentality that forces people to say that either its the 'right one' or its the 'wrong one'. This is a mindset that prevents objectivity and acceptance of others!!......thus it is this mentality which proves to be 'The Wrong One'

That's a pretty big assumption my freind, and you are wrong..There are quite a few if you look and see. 

Ah, but I bet you not as many as Christian and Athiests, grin2.gif whom are usually provide most of the stubborn arguements in the other religious threads thumbsup.gif

I think in those what religion are you threads its normally Christain - 50%, Athiest 30% Wicca - third place, then Jews, Islam, then others huh.gif

thumbsup.gif Well said Chauncy...

Talon S. Posted on Jun 7 2004, 03:55 PM Ah, but I bet you not as many as Christian and Athiests,  whom are usually provide most of the stubborn arguements in the other religious threads 

Far be it for me to cast aspertions on groups of people, but stubborn, is not quite the word I'd use thumbsup.gifdevil.gifwhistling2.gif

Edited by Celti

Chauncy pretty much summed it all up. I've never understood the need to be absolutely right about something we can't prove on any higher level than circumstantial evidence or gut feeling. Everyones' personal beliefs belong to them and are slightly different than everyone elses'.

I've always felt that should be good enough. We don't need Crusades and Jihads about things that are pretty much open to individual interpretation anyway..

It boils down to wether religion is about the individuals relationship to the divine (In whatever form they relate to it) or about a dogma that is imposed on others. To those who see it as the former it makes no diffrence what someone else believes, to those who see it as the latter.... well maybe they need to have a good hard look at what it is they are doing SO wrong! wink2.gif

I agree with your notion Fenris!

I think the age old adage applies here.

'When you point your finger at someone there is three pointing back at you'

post-14-1086627851.gif

'When you point your finger at someone there is three pointing back at you'

i said this to someone once, i had just heard it myself, and they did not understand how it worked. i showed them, and they still didn't understand. it made me feel old.

The only time I could see a belief set or religion as being the 'wrong one' would be if it proves detrimental to society and to progression.

Mankind needs to stop teaching the idea of a final judgement where salvation is rewarded for deification......it is this mentality that forces people to say that either its the 'right one' or its the 'wrong one'. This is a mindset that prevents objectivity and acceptance of others!!......thus it is this mentality which proves to be 'The Wrong One

'Well, how do you decide which one is detrimental to society and to progression? One could say that of christianity. The church has always stood in the way of science, case in point Galileo. He had to deign his science to stay out of jail or death. Would you say that slowed the progression of society? A lot of science has been put on hold in the name of religion. Christianity is not the only one guilty of this. How do you make that decision of right or wrong? And when you do what can you do about it?

'Well, how do you decide which one is detrimental to society and to progression? One could say that of christianity.

One could definetly come right out and say this...or one could leave that message hidden as to allow the point to be read 'between the lines' as to not turn a Wicca thread into one about christianity.

How do you make that decision of right or wrong?

You make that decision based on what I said, you make that decision based on what you are quoting me of saying. wink2.gif

Why does there have to be a 'right one' or a 'wrong one'?

It would seem that if any belief set promotes good and stresses harmony with nature and all its creatures is in fact a 'Right one'.

One could definetly come right out and say this...or one could leave that message hidden as to allow the point to be read 'between the lines' as to not turn a Wicca thread into one about christianity.

But I wasn't trying to turn it into a Christianity thread sad.gif , I was standing up for the Wiccans by tried to point out that if their religion was more mainstream would we even be having this convo.

And as for right and wrong one, I wasn't trying to start a fight over which religion is the correct one, I was trying to avoid that issue. I'm an athiest, I don't have a religion, I have nothing invested in that, I was only using a quote I've seen religious people use to try and avoid a conflict. crying.gif

Hard to have a religion mainstreamed, when a good chunk of society either,

A: has never heard of it.

B: has heard of it, but on gross missinformation and there for fear and belittles it.

C: Spreads such gross missunderstandings.

Well thats was kinda my point. Wicca, Christainity, Islam etc all have gods (at least I think Wiccans have gods, I'll admit the only thing I know about Wicca was in Buffy, and I'm guessing that was a sterotype), magic, mircles, stories which defy scientific explaination, and are built on a a great deal of faith etc Now were Christainity and Islam are accepted because they have a mass following. Meanwhile, Wicca, despite being just as valid as the other two is being questioned if its fiction as its not as well known.

My point isn't about why isn't it mainstream, mine is about why accept one religion without question, yet start debating if another is fiction. I just don't get it.

Edited by Talon S.

Wicca is a peacefull religion . Whats wrong here ? blink.gif

I am interested to see those who normally argue against religion somewhat defend it in a way when its no longer christianity . tongue.giftongue.gif

I am interested to see those who normally argue against religion somewhat defend it in a way when its no longer christianity

Well this is because you can't paint religions with the same brush. We have to look at the facts, look at the observed behaviour of its proponents, look at its doctrine and how this affects society.

Not every religion is the same, not every religion has the same goals or methods.

There is no contradiction in defending one belief set while you find another not so desirable. This is the beauty of freedom. thumbsup.gif

I am interested to see those who normally argue against religion somewhat defend it in a way when its no longer christianity

Oh its not that I'm claiming Wicca is more real than Christianity, as an athiest I'm obviously sceptical of both, rather I'm defending on the basis that Wicca doesn't seem to be treated with the validity as Christainity even though either is just as likely to be real as the other. I just feel sorry that because it isn't considered mainstream they don't seem to be treated as seriously as Christianity.

Don't worry Xeno, I'm not saying Wicca is more plausable than Christianity, as I still hold that science is best (but thats a debate for any other time which has been done to death) grin2.gif

wasnt worried about anything really . Just pointing out a few thingy's .

here are some more points -

*why is this thread still open ?

*why was it started by a religious person ?

blink.gif

Well thats was kinda my point. Wicca, Christainity, Islam etc all have gods (at least I think Wiccans have gods, I'll admit the only thing I know about Wicca was in Buffy, and I'm guessing that was a sterotype), magic, mircles, stories which defy scientific explaination, and are built on a a great deal of faith etc Now were Christainity and Islam are accepted because they have a mass following. Meanwhile, Wicca, despite being just as valid as the other two is being questioned if its fiction as its not as well known.

My point isn't about why isn't it mainstream, mine is about why accept one religion without question, yet start debating if another is fiction. I just don't get it.

Buffy is *SO* far from the truth it's not even funny.

I cought an episode that showed Willow's "wiccan magic" and my head nearly imploded... >.<