Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eye for an EYE

imorningsun

Alot of people,even I believe that some of the judicial punishments are not severe enough. This allows some criminals to walk away with just a slap on the hand. Depending on the crime commited, do you believe that we should enforce some of the ancient code? Here is a link for those of you unfamiliar with it. You will have to scroll down to the numbered laws, there are a total of 282 written laws of Hammurabi. http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/hamcode.html I would like to hear your point of view and some laws that you would recommend. Feel free to invent your own based on the code. grin2.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chauncy

• imorningsun

• Fluffybunny

• Stellar

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez eh!!...majority of the laws end with...."shall be put to death"...no messing around!!

" If a "sister of a god" open a tavern, or enter a tavern to drink, then shall this woman be burned to death" This law would make for a boring bar scene!!!

In general your right that alot of the offences that take place in society go un-punished or trivial punishments for serious crimes. It works both ways though because there are a lot of people who have been imprisoned on minor offences with major sentences.

The problem goes much deeper than our laws not being stiff enough, there is a deterrent factor involved for sure, but we have to whatch that our born freedoms are not tread upon while trying to make society better.

user posted image

" If a "sister of a god" open a tavern, or enter a tavern to drink, then shall this woman be burned to death" This law would make for a boring bar scene!!!

I'm thinking that "ladies night" didn't happen too often back then.

Just a guess.

I'm thinking that "ladies night" didn't happen too often back then

Or if it did it was frought with a more ominous connotation than what we would prefer...or the ladies for that matter.

Hmm... got me thinking... what if any crime committed, no matter what it was, was punished by death.... wouldnt that be a great deterrant?

I am not suggesting that all crimes be punished by death, but that sure would help the population problem too! Suppose, Joe Shmoe gets picked up for the 3rd time for burglary. Would cutting one of his hands off keep him from doing it again? Would he have done it, if he knew he would lose a hand? Some of the laws in this code realy aren't that ancient. Paying taxes, restitution,divorse, except the part about drowning a bad wife, even though some men would like that. grin2.gif

Would cutting one of his hands off keep him from doing it again?

There are many,many people that commit crimes in their youth, then grow wiser and never commit a crime again. To cut someones hands off you are basically preventing that person from ever having the remotest possibility of being a contributing citizen again.

Chauncy, OK, your right about that. We can put an age limit on this. I believe that there was one in the original code. I myself have been victum to juvenile mistakes. The thought of losing a limb for stealing a piece of candy, or getting involved with the wrong crowed scares me. I fell prey to a psychotic stalker. Yes, I would love to see his eyeball cut out. When a person can't get help from thier local law enforcement, then there is a problem with the law. I would never want to jepordize my freedom. But when your being stalked, robbed, raped, ect..... You have no freedom! If punishments were to fit the crime better, we would have less of it.

But when your being stalked, robbed, raped, ect..... You have no freedom! If punishments were to fit the crime better, we would have less of it.

Yes I realize what your saying, and I'm also sorry for your unfortunate experience.

When the law is unable to help,*whispering*...there are other alternatives.

Sally field in that movie 'Eye for an Eye" is a good example. Now mind you this type of vigilantism should never be made a law because it is left up to interpretation and people will exploit this fact.

I think you would have been justified to allow a big brother or another friend to have a talk with the stalker. Sometimes implied reprecussions for continued behaviour is enough to stop such a thing. Mind you every situation is different from others.

'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.'

-Ghandi

dontgetit.gif Not quite sure if this had much to do with where the discussion was going...but just thought I'd throw that in there.

Either that or we will all have the nickname"Old one eye"!