Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British children 'unable to identify wild

Still Waters

More than half of British children can't identify a crocodile while just one in five can name four basic wild animals, a new study has found.

The shocking survey found that when asked to name a series of animals, more than half of children aged between four and 12 struggled to recognise a crocodile while 44 per cent were unable to identify a leopard.

Many children also had difficulty recognising gorillas and chimpanzees while others could not tell the difference between a male and female lion.

In another disturbing statistic that could perhaps explain the lack of animal knowledge, the research found nearly a quarter of children had never visited a zoo or animal park.

As a result, just one in five of the 1000 children surveyed were able to correctly identify up to four basic wild animals.

TV presenter and wildlife expert Michaela Strachan said the trend was shocking.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• SilverCougar

• DevilDogPratt

• Space Commander Travis

Wow I just about hit a deer a coyote a bear and a mountian lion on my way to work this morning LOL ok all I saw was a damn rabbit on the road. Thats pretty bad statistic and I can't really put a lot of stock in it. Don't people in Britian like David Attenburrow ;)

am not surprised. i was roped into going on my nephews school trip and the kids couldn't even recognise a squirrel or even a duck. they couldn't even name the most common farm yard animals. but am not surprised.

That is really shocking. I sort of understand the leopard seeing how jaguar and cheetah look vaguely similar and either of those options would have been a 'wrong' answer and you wouldn't expect a four year old to know the difference but the rest is really scary!

Saying that I shouldn't be surprised, when I did my research at the bear sanctuary in Germany, one kid pointed at the wolves and went; Wow, mum, look at the tigers :unsure2: According to the keepers the wolves have also previously been described as badgers, foxes, dead huskies, hyenas and lions....

Similar thing when I did my BSc. at Chester Zoo, the otters were regularly identified as beavers and meerkats...

You have to wonder with the amount of information available, how kids can know so little? I mean zoos, books, even TV. I'm not saying Disney films are the way to learn your natural history but Jungle Book at least highlights the differences between wolves, tigers and bears...

That is really sad, but it is also happening here in the states too. Some kids who live in cities don't ever know what a cow looks like. We only have our selves to blame. As a parent you have to take the time to teach your kids about the natural world. I don't mean just take them to a zoo, but take them for a hike in the woods, take them camping and to a farm and show them were their food comes from. You will be amazed at how much fun it is to do that with your kids.

That is really sad, but it is also happening here in the states too. Some kids who live in cities don't ever know what a cow looks like. We only have our selves to blame. As a parent you have to take the time to teach your kids about the natural world. I don't mean just take them to a zoo, but take them for a hike in the woods, take them camping and to a farm and show them were their food comes from. You will be amazed at how much fun it is to do that with your kids.

Good advise. Living in the Rockies then moving to Calgary or Cowtown as we call it were there is cattle ranches as far as the eye can see and beyond. I had a great time exploring and learning about my local wild life. My Aunt has a large ranch outside of town and for the life of me I can't rope a cow let alone a fence post LOL

"British children 'unable to identify wild animals like crocodiles and leopards'"

Well, let's just hope that natural selection comes into play, and those who wouldn't recognise a croc if they tripped over one do trip over one one day, or a leopard. Either way, that'd be one less of the stupid to use up valuable oxygen.

The survey was carried out by videogame publisher THQ to mark the launch of childrens' game World of Zoo.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225445/What-wild-things-British-children-unable-identify-crocodiles-leopards.html#ixzz0W1fV65RM

OK, why did they pay for this survey?,cynical old me,that's the first question I ask about any survey,poll etc,second question is,was it cherrypicked or truely representive .Surveys if done properly are not cheap,always a vested interest,go figure.

that is just sad. why dont teachers stop teaching their fake global warming and green peace agendas and start teaching about the REAL world around us. one kid in my class was asked to draw a duck and drew a white body with an orange bill, which might not be such a big deal, but we live right next to a river and there are literally hundreds of ducks flying through there. yet he didnt know ducks looked any different than that. i drew a mallard for mine, with a green head and brown body, and he thought i was making a joke :rolleyes:

The survey was carried out by videogame publisher THQ to mark the launch of childrens' game World of Zoo.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225445/What-wild-things-British-children-unable-identify-crocodiles-leopards.html#ixzz0W1fV65RM

OK, why did they pay for this survey?,cynical old me,that's the first question I ask about any survey,poll etc,second question is,was it cherrypicked or truely representive .Surveys if done properly are not cheap,always a vested interest,go figure.

Sounds like some independant marketing research, probably more acurate than an actual paid for study LOL

that is just sad. why dont teachers stop teaching their fake global warming and green peace agendas and start teaching about the REAL world around us. one kid in my class was asked to draw a duck and drew a white body with an orange bill, which might not be such a big deal, but we live right next to a river and there are literally hundreds of ducks flying through there. yet he didnt know ducks looked any different than that. i drew a mallard for mine, with a green head and brown body, and he thought i was making a joke :rolleyes:

Wow conspiracy much? Schools arn't teaching "fake global warming" and all that insane agenda you think. Most of why teachers are having a hard time teaching is because their hands get tied by concervative soccor moms who don't what their kids learning the stuff we learned way back when. I notice you don't seem to have an issue with the religious right trying to push their creationalist agenda into science/biology classes.. where these kids *SHOULD* be learning about animals and wildlife.. not what "God" did. That's irrelivent in schools.

Well, let's just hope that natural selection comes into play, and those who wouldn't recognise a croc if they tripped over one do trip over one one day, or a leopard. Either way, that'd be one less of the stupid to use up valuable oxygen.

Isn't that a tad harsh? Can't we just improve their education by showing them pictures in books?

Wow I just about hit a deer a coyote a bear and a mountian lion on my way to work this morning LOL ok all I saw was a damn rabbit on the road. Thats pretty bad statistic and I can't really put a lot of stock in it. Don't people in Britian like David Attenburrow ;)

I would be sad in the face had you hit a cougar =( SAD IN THE FACE!! *points*

Isn't that a tad harsh? Can't we just improve their education by showing them pictures in books?

perhaps, but my way might be more entertaining, and perhaps make good TV.

That's a good point, actually.

Fast Animals - Slow Children!

I would be sad in the face had you hit a cougar =( SAD IN THE FACE!! *points*

Happy to say I have never seen a cougar close to any main roads here so no worries Silver ;) Those cats are pretty damn sly I have only seen one in the wild my entire life. *Scratchs kitty's chin* ;)

when my brother went to 3rd grade, there was a teacher whose son was in green peace, and she wouldnt teach anything but green peace, the kids would have to do everything at home, it would go on for months, yet the school did nothing. also, i never made any comments against the "religious right trying to push their creationalist agenda into science/biology classes" just so you know, i dont agree with that either. religion and politics should stay away from school. teach facts at school, not some screwed up opinion

when my brother went to 3rd grade, there was a teacher whose son was in green peace, and she wouldnt teach anything but green peace, the kids would have to do everything at home, it would go on for months, yet the school did nothing. also, i never made any comments against the "religious right trying to push their creationalist agenda into science/biology classes" just so you know, i dont agree with that either. religion and politics should stay away from school. teach facts at school, not some screwed up opinion

Yeah, everyone believes this. :rolleyes:

So that *one* case of a greenpeace teacher and suddenly you jump to evil left wing conspiracy agenda.. hmm...

Atleast we're on the same page with the religious right as well.

Siiiilver *Purrrrrrrs* Damned straight we're sly ;) How else would you know we's comeing?

I am amazed... Children should actually learn about the animals we're pushing to extinction, using for food and products. After all, they're going to take the reigns eventually (terrifying thought).

Mattshark: LMAO! I'd watch that show :lol:

religion and politics should stay away from school. teach facts at school, not some screwed up opinion

You might be surprised to learn that this is why Global Warming is being taught in schools.

Fast Animals - Slow Children!

Man I remember the good old days when it took three children to feed a bear, now it only takes one LOL