Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?

NatureBoff

Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?

There's a long thread about the many eye-witness accounts. Do you believe there is something genuine behind it all?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Night Walker

• NatureBoff

• Tia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not think a poll in a forum where people go to look for mysteries is going to offer a general outcome is it ;)

No, the Yowie is indeed a construct. A Hominid of such dimensions cannot survive the climate.

Yesterday was the 5th here, it reached 38 Degrees C where I am. Summer is going to be hot. January is usually the hottest month. That would kill a hominid that weighs 800 pounds (death due to organ placement) and is covered in hair. I am not even Top End.

It makes as much sense as looking for an African Elephant in Antarctica.

Edited by psyche101

The claims of Yowie in Australia are even more ridiculous than the claims of bigfoot in North America.

No, the Yowie is indeed a construct. A Hominid of such dimensions cannot survive the climate.

You sure because Homo erectus survived in temperatures that in some cases were 38 degree above today's and they actually thrived. Warmer Climates make you adapt it does not necessarily make you extinct. Also; Homo erectus came in more than one size, even pygmy sized. Australia's climate is varied as well. Some mountainous areas are so thick that when your under the thick canopies the temps can be quite normal. As the Great Divide stretches most of the east coast there is your habitat and it isn't always extreme. If Australia's temperatures are too hot for the Yowie then it was too hot for "Out Of Africa" too *grin*..How does the Orang u-tang Survive in the hot jungles of Sumatra? In fact they thrive and don't look too hot and bothered do they??

Humans have thrived in these extreme temps in Australia, it is the zero temps that are more a worry. What dimensions are you talking about also?? If the Yowie survived alongside the Aborigines in many cases in severe heat and then an ice-age-although Australia wasn't glaciated like Europe for instance, (judging by cave art, legends etc..) then why not the Yowie into modern times?

Yesterday was the 5th here, it reached 38 Degrees C where I am. Summer is going to be hot. January is usually the hottest month. That would kill a hominid that weighs 800 pounds (death due to organ placement) and is covered in hair.quote]

Just curious... where does the 800 pounds come from? Based on height estimates, or.... from footprints?

You sure because Homo erectus survived in temperatures that in some cases were 38 degree above today's and they actually thrived. Warmer Climates make you adapt it does not necessarily make you extinct. Also; Homo erectus came in more than one size, even pygmy sized. Australia's climate is varied as well. Some mountainous areas are so thick that when your under the thick canopies the temps can be quite normal. As the Great Divide stretches most of the east coast there is your habitat and it isn't always extreme. If Australia's temperatures are too hot for the Yowie then it was too hot for "Out Of Africa" too *grin*..How does the Orang u-tang Survive in the hot jungles of Sumatra? In fact they thrive and don't look too hot and bothered do they??

Humans have thrived in these extreme temps in Australia, it is the zero temps that are more a worry. What dimensions are you talking about also?? If the Yowie survived alongside the Aborigines in many cases in severe heat and then an ice-age-although Australia wasn't glaciated like Europe for instance, (judging by cave art, legends etc..) then why not the Yowie into modern times?

I agree with this viewpoint entirely. The others probably haven't even read the famous and comprehensive study of clear vision cases (often from mountain homesteads incidentally). Why would hundreds of otherwise sincere people make this up? It only causes them social stigmization. They would have known that from the start surely?

I agree with this viewpoint entirely. The others probably haven't even read the famous and comprehensive study of clear vision cases (often from mountain homesteads incidentally). Why would hundreds of otherwise sincere people make this up? It only causes them social stigmization. They would have known that from the start surely?

Its called confabulation.

But you haven't read the books or accounts, right?

Accounts have no value. No witness is reliable in science, your talking about wildlife, so it is science. If you want meaningless stories, have all the witnesses you want, if you want it to be taken seriously witnesses are no use.

I doubt it exists. Like most of it's kind it seems to rely upon witnesses for evidence and on mystical ninja powers to stay away from those hunting it.

Does anyone know if the Yowie sightings coincede with Robin Williams tours in Australia?

Just curious. Is it something about hominids that make it unable to survive in the heat, or just a large, hairy animal in general. I'm certainly not using this as evidence of Yowie, but black bears, for example, can weigh 500 pounds and live in New Jersey, which can reach those temperatures as well.

Just curious. Is it something about hominids that make it unable to survive in the heat, or just a large, hairy animal in general. I'm certainly not using this as evidence of Yowie, but black bears, for example, can weigh 500 pounds and live in New Jersey, which can reach those temperatures as well.

Placement of the organs in a Hominid. Heat dissipation is not rapid enough.

This National Geographic special seems common, it explains the situation well as they do a physical reconstruction of Meganthropus to prove the point.

natgeolastmanstanding.jpg

It is a good watch if you get your hands on it. It also has a re-construction of Homo Florensis. Quite entertaining as well as educational.

The PNW "Patty" example of a Bigfoot manages to elude the problem somewhat by way of the Northern cool climate.

Are you speaking of a study of alleged Yowie sightings? I have seen no such thing. Please offer it for us all to see and discuss. Hundreds of clear vision cases? I'd like to see that list. Did Rex let a whole heap of you loose for the weekend? Why do people claim a thrown rock is a Yowie?

I doubt it exists. Like most of it's kind it seems to rely upon witnesses for evidence and on mystical ninja powers to stay away from those hunting it.

Does anyone know if the Yowie sightings coincede with Robin Williams tours in Australia?

Now there is the most sensible theory I have seen to date associated with the yowie :tu:

Thanks for the info and recommendation! :tu:

You are most welcome. I do hope you get the opportunity to see that documentary :tu:

Here's a question for consideration:

Q. How many people in Australia could say they have seen a yowie?

100, 1000, 10,000?

What would be a realistic, generous, or conservative estimate?

But you haven't read the books or accounts, right?

I do not agree with Mattshark that eye-witness testimonies have no value. However, I do agree with his confabulation stance.

Nearly or all USA bigfoot sightings are hoax or confabulation. This does not bode well for the reliability of similar sightings in other parts of the wordl.

Placement of the organs in a Hominid. Heat dissipation is not rapid enough.

This National Geographic special seems common, it explains the situation well as they do a physical reconstruction of Meganthropus to prove the point.

natgeolastmanstanding.jpg

It is a good watch if you get your hands on it. It also has a re-construction of Homo Florensis. Quite entertaining as well as educational.

The PNW "Patty" example of a Bigfoot manages to elude the problem somewhat by way of the Northern cool climate.

According to descriptions and reports of the Yowie, the Yowie seems to look different from the description of the extinct Meganthropus.

According to reports, not necessarily only Northern cool climate seems to contain Bigfoot, but also indeed in hot climate as well. There are reported Brazilian Bigfoot, Florida's Bigfoot, India's Bigfoot and Africa's Bigfoot as well:

http://www.crystalinks.com/bigfoot.html

Edited by Ra_Sun-God

I do not agree with Mattshark that eye-witness testimonies have no value. However, I do agree with his confabulation stance.

Nearly or all USA bigfoot sightings are hoax or confabulation. This does not bode well for the reliability of similar sightings in other parts of the wordl.

Is there a single word which encompasses hoaxing, confabulation, false reporting, pranking, exaggeration, misrepresentation, etc? Because combined these are the major source of hairy man reports. It's a problem perpetuated by many "researchers" and their followers, not just the general public, and for a wide variety of reasons. Hence, it is the major problem for cryptozoology as a whole.

Assuming there are a generous 10,000 people in Australia who could lay claim to seeing a yowie that number doesn't compare favourably with 40,000 Australians officially diagnosed with schizophrenia, 70,000 Australians who listed their religion as Jedi on the national census, and 1.5% of the entire population (some 300,000 people) who will experience a schizophrenic episode during their lifetime. The number of alleged yowie sightings needs to be kept in perspective.

http://www.florey.edu.au/the-brain/brain-disorders/schizophrenia/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2218456.stm)

Let's not forget hairy man reports from New Zealand (http://www.bigfootencounters.com/creatures/moehau.htm) and England (http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/britishbf.htm). Wherever there are people there is "storytelling".

Is there a single word which encompasses hoaxing, confabulation, false reporting, pranking, exaggeration, misrepresentation, etc? Because combined these are the major source of hairy man reports. It's a problem perpetuated by many "researchers" and their followers, not just the general public, and for a wide variety of reasons. Hence, it is the major problem for cryptozoology as a whole.

Assuming there are a generous 10,000 people in Australia who could lay claim to seeing a yowie that number doesn't compare favourably with 40,000 Australians officially diagnosed with schizophrenia, 70,000 Australians who listed their religion as Jedi on the national census, and 1.5% of the entire population (some 300,000 people) who will experience a schizophrenic episode during their lifetime. The number of alleged yowie sightings needs to be kept in perspective.

http://www.florey.edu.au/the-brain/brain-disorders/schizophrenia/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2218456.stm)

Let's not forget hairy man reports from New Zealand (http://www.bigfootencounters.com/creatures/moehau.htm) and England (http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/britishbf.htm). Wherever there are people there is "storytelling".

According to Yowiehunters there should be about 10,000 reported Yowie sightings, and i say that's a lot. And then how many unreported sightings have there been? Good question. There are sightings that remain unreported because these people are afraid to come forward, they are afraid it will make them look stupid.

Hairy man reports from New Zealand and England? Even from England???????? I will take close look on that...

Edited by Ra_Sun-God

According to Yowiehunters there should be about 10,000 reported Yowie sightings, and i say that's a lot.

10,000 reported sightings is a lot. Where are they all? That equates to 1 sighting per week for the last 200 years. When it comes to the yowie - exaggeration is rampant and all part of the storytelling. This year there have been 6 alleged yowie encounters reported by the media, 5 are bogus and the remaining one needs further investigation before conclusions can be drawn one way or the other. A similar amount may be reported directly to "yowie researchers" but does that make them more or less reliable considering Yowiehunters are the most successful Yowie-hoaxers in Australia?

See the yowie footprint cast from the alleged yowie attack in the other yowie thread - it is the Yowiehunters own foot. Also see Green's history of fabricating evidence. How can these "researchers" be taken seriously?

According to Yowiehunters there should be about 10,000 reported Yowie sightings, and i say that's a lot. And then how many unreported sightings have there been? Good question. There are sightings that remain unreported because these people are afraid to come forward, they are afraid it will make them look stupid.

I agree. I suspect the majority of sightings of mysterious nature... ie, ghosts, crypto creatures, UFOs, ect... do not get reported. If I saw Bigfoot outside my house, why the heck would I report it? Unless, I needed to file some kind of homeowners insurance claim, "Bigfoot smashed my trashcans!", or unless I had some kind of evidence, such as hair or a picture. Otherwise the report has no value to it.

I suspect that some people keep putting in these reports to the various Bigfoot sites because they think that more reports equals more evidence. And this is not entirely untrue.

If I was the Australian authorities, I would take these Yowie sightings and begin plotting them in order to perhaps catch the prankster or to find the large, hairy, naked homeless man and help him to get help. People are seeing something, the only question is what is it?