Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2012 Doomsday

TheMysteryDistrict

Hey there,

I have been searching for about three hours for a website that has explanations etc regarding the End of the World 2012 stuff, and why people think the world is ending.

Can someone here share details as to why that is the belief and post links to any websites that explain it?

Sorry for sounding so stupid.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• JayRob303

• SRCivic98

• TheMysteryDistrict

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there,

I have been searching for about three hours for a website that has explanations etc regarding the End of the World 2012 stuff, and why people think the world is ending.

Can someone here share details as to why that is the belief and post links to any websites that explain it?

Sorry for sounding so stupid.

people believe that Gaia (Earth) is going to go crazy and nature will finally take back what is her's with loads of devestation and natural distaters all over the globe. Truth be told, it could happen and it also couldn't happen. Many are following religious books about 2012 or Mayan Calender about 12/21/2012. Who knows, but if you ask me, I say that humans will destroy each other before Gaia has her turn.

2012 is mostly overblown media hype, truth be told.

What people fail to understand about the Mayan calendar is that it does NOT end on the winter solstice of 2012. What ends is the (I fail to recall the correct names) current AGE of the Earth that we are, according to the ancient Mayan long count, passing through. I think it's called a Baka or Bakun, but I could be quite off sorry. This is apparently only the 12th or 13th age that the Mayans have recorded, out of a total of around 22 or so. That means that according to the Mayans the Earth is only half way through it's age, not even close to its end!!

There are however some significant cosmic events happening in December 2012 which leads us to speculate as to why the Mayans chose to end their current cycle at this time. The Mayans believed that humanity may be entering a great age of new enlightenment and purer living than the 'dark age' coming to a close. It could be considered quite an exciting time for humankind! I like to think so.

What will absolutely NO happen is anything like what is to be seen in a certain upcoming hollywood blockbuster, so don't be alarmed, you needn't learn how to fly an airbus through crumbling skyscrapers. ;)

I don't know about the whole end of the world thing...how many apocolapse have we lived thru already... What I do know is there will be some type of gravitational disruption...I mean come on...the tides rise when the moon is closer to our planet, what will an alignment of all planets product...

It is not a planetary alignment. It's an alignment of our solar system with the center of our galaxy, the Milkyway.

It is not a planetary alignment. It's an alignment of our solar system with the center of our galaxy, the Milkyway.

Then what's all the hype about.....

Every year for the last 1000 years or so, on the winter solstice, the Earth, Sun and the galactic equator come into alignment, and every year, precession pushes the Sun's position a little way further through the Milky Way's band.

The alignment in question is not exclusive to 2012 but takes place over a 36-year period, corresponding to the diameter of the Sun, with the most precise convergence having already occurred in 1998.

So if end of the world there should have been, then 1998 was the time.

Like you say : What's all the hype about?

It's about making money.