Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stuck between sleep and awake HELP PLEASE

jadensmom1029

hi everybody I just signed up to this website just to leave my comment hopefully somebody can give me some advice... I have read all the

testimonials and I'm sitting here in disbelief! This is the first time I have looked up my experience and was so suprised to see all this! Anyway my

experience is usually the same everytime. It mostly happens it seems just as I'm drifting off to sleep. Suddenly I have this overwhelming feeling

that starts at my core and radiates out... It feels like pressure and kind of tingly and very over-powering. It scares the crap out of me and I have

to use all my will power to snap out of it. I'm scared to let it progress, but a few times it has been out of my control and went further to the

point where I felt awake, I could see as if I was awake (except only in front of me), but one problem, CANT FREAKIN MOVE! Feels like pressure is

surrounding me like being 100000 feet under water. I try to speak or scream so hard but no sound will come out. I feel dread, as if something

terrible is going to happen so I close my eyes (I guess they already are closed in real life) and start praying furiously "god please help me please

please help me" over and over until I finally snap out of it! (im not a very religious person, but I pray because I don't know what else to do and

it always works, also because someone once told me this feeling was a demon) many times I have felt the vibrating feeling upon snapping out of it.

When my ex and I were still together I would tell her to watch over me on the nights that the feeling was coming over me. She would wake me up and

tell me I was freaking her out because I was doing a weird breathing thing (she could never explain exactly what she meant by that). There is only

one time I can recall that I became petrified because while I was feeling the pressure someone or something grabbed my leg and began to yank me out

of bed. I couldn't see that time, only blackness but I remember sitting up and yelling "get the **** off me!" and it did. Anyway this happens to me

at random times, sometimes many months go by without it and sometimes it happens several nights in a row. It has happened during the day as well if

I take an afternoon nap...

After reading these I feel like I shouldnt be so quick to try and snap out of it, I have considered just letting it happen but I always get

scared... Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

see a doctor.

its not that serious, it doesn't affect my everyday life its just something weird that happens to me. the other posts that ive read with similar occurances have stuff to do with astroprojection or something. Ive always just assumed I had sleep paralysis but it just seems a little more freaky sometimes than a simple scientific name for it.

These things are due to something called sleep paralysis. I think your very lucky to be able to go into sleep paralysis because you can do things like have out of body experiences with it. it sounds EXACTLY like the classic Sleep paralysis experience. don't be scared because nothing can happen to you

its not that serious, it doesn't affect my everyday life its just something weird that happens to me. the other posts that ive read with similar occurances have stuff to do with astroprojection or something. Ive always just assumed I had sleep paralysis but it just seems a little more freaky sometimes than a simple scientific name for it.

I agree it sounds like sleep paralysis. And with all due respect to your judgment, saying that "it seems more freaky sometimes than a simple scientific name for it", means you think you have suffered every aspect of sleep paralysis and can judge that this is beyond it - before you do that, I suggest you read up on Sleep Paralysis a little more (my sig has links to many resources), as it is common to hear voices, see figures and even feel physical sensations - some people even report being slapped or choked, so a leg pull is pretty unremarkable, in the scope of what could happen.

The "breathing thing" could be a medical condition, and you might mention it if you see a doctor - if you look it up on the net, I'd be careful not too jump to conclusions or "freak out", as I know how easy that is to do.

As for the astral projection, that is the claim of some people, and that is an issue I can't speak to, other than to confirm I've seen those claims.

My favorite link to the subject is in my sig also.

I started a thread last year, on the syfy forums as "LaJaDiSc", that touched on the subject of sleep paralysis, hypnogogic and hypnopompic halucinations (the thread died long ago), if anyone is interested.

Edited by HDesiato

sounds like you don't want a real explanation, you want to hear that you are special and have some sort of gift or magic powers. Just judging from your response. I would still see a doctor when you are ready to take things seriously.

• Like 1

We call it "Sleep Paralysis", And if you want to, I guess you could philosophy about these things to be demons and stuff like that from different realities that have access to you when you have sleep paralysis. :P

• 1 month later...

Just started looking yesterday on the web for people who experience pain while sleeping. There are quite a few people who posted about their pain on Unexplained. Mine was inability to wake up with extreme pain when trying to force myself awake. Over a year ago, I discovered that drinking water before sleep will avoid this very unpleasant experience. At least half a cup before sleep. Dehydration may be a problem. Of course I woundn't wish this dread on anyone. You said, "Please help". If you get up at night be sure to drink another half cup! Hope this information helps!

you may have more than one issue at work...besides the possible sleep paralysis...

do you snore when you sleep at night? .... this can be an indication of many physical problems including sleep apnea, which will give you the sensation that you can't breathe (because you have stopped breathing in reality)...i have this and i have some of the same problems you are....this could account for the breathing issues that you had when your ex was watching over you...i would imagine have two or three of these issues at one time would make for a scarey sleep pattern...

but the idea is to either find out one way or the other if you have any of these problems befor you worry if you are being oppressed by spirits, although you could do a house cleansing just in case, especially if it will make you feel better about that...one less thing to stress over would not hurt anything....

randomhit10

These things are due to something called sleep paralysis. I think your very lucky to be able to go into sleep paralysis because you can do things like have out of body experiences with it. it sounds EXACTLY like the classic Sleep paralysis experience. don't be scared because nothing can happen to you

Well said my little Psychonaut Protege. :)

jadensmom, calm down. Breathe deep, close your eyes, relax. It's okay.

To first understand the phenomena you have been experiencing you first need to understand SLEEP. You are trying to build the second flooor of a house with no 1st floor. No support, no foundations.

I will help you, but you need to research Sleep Paralysis for yourself. Read lots lots lots!

DO NOT BE AFRAID!!!!!!!! What you are experiencing some people meditate deeply for long periods to accomplish. Like me. What you are experiencing are normal sensations, your body experiences these sensations EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. The difference is, you are actually conscious when the sensations occur when you should be fast asleep.

Sleep has many cycles, most of them are for healing the body. Only REM sleep is of any value to the mind, and it is in this period, about 15 minutes every hour, you dream. This is the mind cycling it's keepers from it's trash. We feel a strong disconnection from our dreams because our minds have an auto-wipe function so within minutes of waking all our dreams have vanished from memory. However when the dream is occuring, to you or anything the dream actually feels like reality. We don't really have memories of dreams, we have memories of events that occurred to us while we are dreaming.

The physical universe is a perception of the mind. It takes input from our sensor organs and converts that input to perception. The mind can not actually differentiate between the waking and dreaming world. When we are awake we use our limbs and body without realizing it. The same occurs while we sleep, and if it wasn't for REM sleep, we'd act out in reality all the movements we make in our dreams. REM completely paralyzes the body. That's the important part.

BUT. Sometimes if we lie very still, deeply relax, close your eyes, and don't move, we can actually slip into a state of consciousness where our body is tricked into REM paralysis while our mind is still decoding messages from our senses. This is where Alien Abduction Dreams and Sleep Paralysis experiences occur.

The 'demon' in the room has been recorded for centuries as a small evil creatures that tugs at you and sits on your chest while you sleep, preventing movement.

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

It is a creation of the subconscious dreaming state overlapping the conscious REM state that manifests entities to explain the frightening inability to move.

I hope this helped!

hi everybody I just signed up to this website just to leave my comment hopefully somebody can give me some advice... I have read all the

testimonials and I'm sitting here in disbelief! This is the first time I have looked up my experience and was so suprised to see all this! Anyway my

experience is usually the same everytime. It mostly happens it seems just as I'm drifting off to sleep. Suddenly I have this overwhelming feeling

that starts at my core and radiates out... It feels like pressure and kind of tingly and very over-powering. It scares the crap out of me and I have

to use all my will power to snap out of it. I'm scared to let it progress, but a few times it has been out of my control and went further to the

point where I felt awake, I could see as if I was awake (except only in front of me), but one problem, CANT FREAKIN MOVE! Feels like pressure is

surrounding me like being 100000 feet under water. I try to speak or scream so hard but no sound will come out. I feel dread, as if something

terrible is going to happen so I close my eyes (I guess they already are closed in real life) and start praying furiously "god please help me please

please help me" over and over until I finally snap out of it! (im not a very religious person, but I pray because I don't know what else to do and

it always works, also because someone once told me this feeling was a demon) many times I have felt the vibrating feeling upon snapping out of it.

When my ex and I were still together I would tell her to watch over me on the nights that the feeling was coming over me. She would wake me up and

tell me I was freaking her out because I was doing a weird breathing thing (she could never explain exactly what she meant by that). There is only

one time I can recall that I became petrified because while I was feeling the pressure someone or something grabbed my leg and began to yank me out

of bed. I couldn't see that time, only blackness but I remember sitting up and yelling "get the **** off me!" and it did. Anyway this happens to me

at random times, sometimes many months go by without it and sometimes it happens several nights in a row. It has happened during the day as well if

After reading these I feel like I shouldnt be so quick to try and snap out of it, I have considered just letting it happen but I always get

"Lookingfortruth" seemed to nail it....have never had that happen to me...to that extent...but i do not think you should feel afraid...i have a question though...what is your frame of mind when you seem to experience this...in the day to day...are you at all anxious...overwhelmed about anything...any stress in day to day life...just curious...i have experienced through dream state, leaving my body only once...it was fu**ing amazing....and i knew it when it happened...because things were off....and even though in dream,i could retain aspects of reality...that was my signal...when my hand could pass through metal...it alerted me..my senses.."Hey..something is not right"...but never did i feel what you felt...(hope i don't)..i honestly do not know how i would react....i wonder if at that moment...u could use some sort of visualization technique....to calm yyou..so you can "experience the experience"i will not feed ya a line..because i have never experienced it...the paralysis/fear aspect...if you can get beyond the fear...it is awesome...although i have only experienced it once.....i am babbling at this point....GOOD LUCK...:)

In the December issue of Psychology Today they had an article on several sleep disorders. An Incubus attack was described as a form of sleep paralysis with hypnagogic hallucinations. They reoccur to 4% of the population and will happen at least once to 15 to 40% of all Americans.

It said that treatment from a psychologist would likely consist of 'supportive counseling with cognitive-behaviorall therapy to improve sleep consolidation.' In other words not sleeping straight, having it broken up, or waking up at night, might be the biggest factor towards who will have an incubus attack and who will not.

...she remains haunted by the experience and has not been able to let go of her belief that she was visited by a demon. In fact, I'm treating her similarly to the way I treat patients with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Martha had a strict religious upbringing that probably made her more susceptible to her interpretation. But patients I've had who fully accepted my explanation and did not believe in supernatural events were still shaken to the core by their incubus attacks.

I have no link to provide since using my phone to post and actual magazine to quote from but it is most likely that the same article is online.

The point being that even if this psychologist does not believe in demons, they most likely understand that telling someone who does that their 'incubus attacks' are not real demons, and that's that, and that they are wrong, all of that will not help anyone, instead they respect the culture and belief system of said person which provides the best results in treating them. Clearly they most likely share their own disbelief but with respect that does not take away from their patient's belief.

I have suffered from this in the past, terribly as a child, and it naturally went away. Perhaps I just am getting better sleep, doubt it, I stay up late, always have, but when I do sleep it is solid and unbroken.

I noticed this term in the OP: afternoon nap. Maybe stop taking one and see if you sleep better at night?

Edited by Rosewin

Its sleep paralysis. I suffer with it to.

I recently spoke to a good friend who is quite a spiritual person and they advised me that every night before I go to sleep to close my eyes and think of a white light like a star in between my eyes, and to envision this white light getting bigger and bigger until it surrounds me in the shape of my silhouette. He said this will protect me at night.

I have been doing it most nights since then and it seems to work...I don't know if this might be spiritual or just phycological but it definitely works for me :)

I don't think there is a need to see a Doctor :rolleyes: This used to happen to me all the time so I know how terrifying it is. There are plenty of threads on this forum that will provide you with support and guidance. Good luck :tu:

sounds like you don't want a real explanation, you want to hear that you are special and have some sort of gift or magic powers. Just judging from your response. I would still see a doctor when you are ready to take things seriously.

There is an actual reason he is having this expieriece and he is not alone. It seems like if you can't offer any productive advice you need to be quiet. Making dumb accusations against someone for sharing they're story and seeking guidance is counter-productive and unnecessary :rolleyes:

Well said my little Psychonaut Protege. :)

jadensmom, calm down. Breathe deep, close your eyes, relax. It's okay.

To first understand the phenomena you have been experiencing you first need to understand SLEEP. You are trying to build the second flooor of a house with no 1st floor. No support, no foundations.

I will help you, but you need to research Sleep Paralysis for yourself. Read lots lots lots!

DO NOT BE AFRAID!!!!!!!! What you are experiencing some people meditate deeply for long periods to accomplish. Like me. What you are experiencing are normal sensations, your body experiences these sensations EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. The difference is, you are actually conscious when the sensations occur when you should be fast asleep.

Sleep has many cycles, most of them are for healing the body. Only REM sleep is of any value to the mind, and it is in this period, about 15 minutes every hour, you dream. This is the mind cycling it's keepers from it's trash. We feel a strong disconnection from our dreams because our minds have an auto-wipe function so within minutes of waking all our dreams have vanished from memory. However when the dream is occuring, to you or anything the dream actually feels like reality. We don't really have memories of dreams, we have memories of events that occurred to us while we are dreaming.

The physical universe is a perception of the mind. It takes input from our sensor organs and converts that input to perception. The mind can not actually differentiate between the waking and dreaming world. When we are awake we use our limbs and body without realizing it. The same occurs while we sleep, and if it wasn't for REM sleep, we'd act out in reality all the movements we make in our dreams. REM completely paralyzes the body. That's the important part.

BUT. Sometimes if we lie very still, deeply relax, close your eyes, and don't move, we can actually slip into a state of consciousness where our body is tricked into REM paralysis while our mind is still decoding messages from our senses. This is where Alien Abduction Dreams and Sleep Paralysis experiences occur.

The 'demon' in the room has been recorded for centuries as a small evil creatures that tugs at you and sits on your chest while you sleep, preventing movement.

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

It is a creation of the subconscious dreaming state overlapping the conscious REM state that manifests entities to explain the frightening inability to move.

I hope this helped!

This is an awesome post, very informative and helpful :tu:

i use to have similar type of dream where i would be in a dream and it consisted of me being in darkness with a migrane, and a horrible anoying taste in my throat and i just couldnt wake up for ages, eventually i learnt to just tell my self in the dream that im not scared and just stay relaxed and it would go away

From my experience, I have one method to get rid of sleeping paralysis (it doesn't mean you can prevent it to happen). Simply concentrate on your breath, breath strongly but slowly. You get more oxygen in your brain, you'll gain consciousness little by little.

Do some mediation to increase your spirit strength and to gain a pure aura. Imagine a guardian angel always stay beside you, protect and heal you. With this, you'll eventually get rid of fear and stress sensation both in real life and dream world.

so first I entered this topic cos i like psychic stuff second cos I like to talk 'bout dreams and third that I have been in(i thinhk) same position as yours...I'm going to explain the feeling...i feel something like u said between sleep and awake, i can't move or talk/scream and i have this feelind like u said under pressure what's even more strange i feel like something is making me "falling asleep"( i don't know if it's falling asleep cos i haven't fallen asleep during this position cos i'm scared to let go struggling), i can feel that i'm laying on my bed and i my eyes are closed, cos i can't open them ofcourse. But i don't pray to god, I have my own way to wake up from this maddnes, i try to lick my chin with my tongue, but moving my tongue is like there is 10tons on him.....when i lick my chin this way my nervs are getting signals that something is licking my chin ofcourse...and i'm woking up....REPLY ME ON THIS: always when this is happening to me i lay on my back...after woking up i try the other side of the bed :D ...and nothing happens...it happend to me few nights in a row(ofcourse if i lay on my back)

P.S. after reading this http://***********************/out-of-body.html and very similar stuff the next time it happens to me i am not going to struggle to see how its going to end

i did read a bit about sleeping paral...nvm.....I'd comed to a conclusion...if u don't want to happen this to u don't sleep with your face up. I think i've made my self clear

There is an actual reason he is having this expieriece and he is not alone. It seems like if you can't offer any productive advice you need to be quiet. Making dumb accusations against someone for sharing they're story and seeking guidance is counter-productive and unnecessary :rolleyes:

Hey Kim!! :) I agree.

Also, it might help if you learn to meditate some before you sleep. This relaxes me when I am stressed out and all twisted which I personally found can lead to SP issues.

So, my advice is to hone in on your meditation techniques. Hopefully your SP will either stop or only happen rarely. :yes: Good luck :tu: and keep us posted.

• 2 months later...

i use to have similar type of dream where i would be in a dream and it consisted of me being in darkness with a migrane, and a horrible anoying taste in my throat and i just couldnt wake up for ages, eventually i learnt to just tell my self in the dream that im not scared and just stay relaxed and it would go away