Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow Sight

tinieblas

I promised this one a few days ago but I've been busy, sorry!

I have a strange ability which no-one else seems to mention; I've searched the web and various books and found no mention of it. Let me begin;

I don't see the dark as an absense of light or emptiness rather a fluid thing which moves and flows, as does liquid but it is not quite liquid...it's impossible to explain unless you have experienced it! If you imagine a liquid or gas trapped between clear plastic, within that medium it moves and flows and forms patterns....but that plasma or liquid is full of every changing colours, like the colours on a soap bubble; it moves and flows, forms patterns and moves apart again. I find the night and half dark of cities amazingly beautiful in ways the daylight cannot be.....if anyone would like to ask; I'll try to explain it better!

But my shadow-sight as I call it....when it's dark and there are no light sources nearby, I can stare into the dark and 'grey' my sight out, it's like a sideways eyelid either opens or closes across my eye and all details fade out and I can see the background texture I described more clearly and seemingly solid....I am currenly practising because I can maintain this manner of seeing for no longer than a couple of seconds before I either shock myself or my eyes decide to move and I lose the focus. I first noticed this ability when I was sitting in my bedroom at night with the lights out next to a full length mirror, just thinking when I looked to my reflection for some reason (I can't remember why now), unfocussed my eyes and watched my reflection fade out of view; instead seeing one of the shadow people standing behind where my reflection had been, watching me quite intently, as far as I could gather (it had no eyes so I'm only guessing); then, as normal, my vision flicked back to normal.

Has anyone else had this kind of vision before or has this rambling thing here made any sense to anyone? I'll keep you posted as I am trying to practise this ability some more to be able to maintain focus for longer...par of me is sure it's seeing with the eyes of spirit. I have been outside my body once and what i saw then was like I see for brief flashes with my shadow sight.....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinieblas

• maximaldecimal

• G3N0M3

• Rosewin

This condition is called "pretendenitis". It commonly affects young people who watch too many cartoons.

This condition is called "pretendenitis". It commonly affects young people who watch too many cartoons.

har har.....are you saying I'm some young guy who lives in his mom's basement and never goes out? In today's parlance, I believe the fitting term is "epic fail" I'm 34, I'm married, I'm well adjusted and have not lived in anyone's basement, ever.....it's been around 18 years since I lived at home. i have a job, I go out daily. If you're going to make a negative comment, at least make the effort to make it constructive eh?

I think your condition is called ironophobia?

But my shadow-sight as I call it....when it's dark and there are no light sources nearby, I can stare into the dark and 'grey' my sight out, it's like a sideways eyelid either opens or closes across my eye and all details fade out and I can see the background texture I described more clearly and seemingly solid....

Hmmm, interesting. Just reading that part above in bold, reminded me of the third eyelid cats have who also have excellent night vision. I'm not sure what to make of that, but there it is, lol. Have you seen an ophthalmologist just to check that out?

Hmmm, interesting. Just reading that part above in bold, reminded me of the third eyelid cats have who also have excellent night vision. I'm not sure what to make of that, but there it is, lol. Have you seen an ophthalmologist just to check that out?

oh god yeah! You see I'm short sighted (only 20/18) and had a lazy eye as a child so i had all the eye tests one can imagine (the colour blindness ones and the lot) and apart from a slight myopia I'm fine....

That's what i mean it's like my eyes are 'opening' again even though they are already open! I have read about using the 'eyes of spirit' and I was wondering if that is what this is.....not a nictating membrane as such as it is not physical....

oh god yeah! You see I'm short sighted (only 20/18) and had a lazy eye as a child so i had all the eye tests one can imagine (the colour blindness ones and the lot) and apart from a slight myopia I'm fine....

That's what i mean it's like my eyes are 'opening' again even though they are already open! I have read about using the 'eyes of spirit' and I was wondering if that is what this is.....not a nictating membrane as such as it is not physical....

Aah, well, I should have guessed you would have. I didn't understand you weren't saying something physical.

Aah, well, I should have guessed you would have. I didn't understand you weren't saying something physical.

ohhhhhh sorry, that was perhaps my fault for not explaining it clearly enough. It's not physical no, I wish it was! That'd make it so easy to prove and I'd like to be able to do that!!

No offence, but it almost certainly (99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%) in your head and psychological.

No offence, but it almost certainly (99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%) in your head and psychological.

None taken mate, as long as there is some manuever for doubt I'm cool. :)

LOL at Mattshark again... I love your unending knowledge of psychological phenomina... wait, you did not even give it a term, or why you don't think that this could be possible...

As for my own experiences I can "grey-out" anything, at any-time all I have to do is focus on an object and blank out everything around it. This is the only time that I could ALMOST see someones aura, but only get VERY faded colors, which is almost pointless.

As for the "shadow people" I've never done this in the mirror outside of a one-time try at OBE infront of a mirror which I did and figured it was kinda cool, but I rather astral projection because you could move. The way I did it in a mirror might have been psychological, though I've never physicaly seen my back, I have seen it in astral projection so that might have gave my brain an image to go off of.

Heres a quick search into a couple of the things you mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_People - More of ghosts and the sightings of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense#Sight - Shows how most people only "read" electromegnetics and photons to veiw something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense#Vision - Talks about cats and snakes and how they can control their sight including ultra violet and infered light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entoptic_phenomenon - Which may be what your experiencing, but its up to you to decide after reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidinger%27s_brush - Where the entoptic phenomina originated from, and also a basic for of why I recieved headaches at young ages from lights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichroism - Looks to be what you are detailing when you are seeing different colors like a soap bubble. This might have also contributed to the migrains where sight is still developing and perhaps (out of iregularity/evolution) being able to see more than electromegnetic waves and photons of light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_dichroism - Explains how all of that is intertwined and related with atoms and even DNA

Well that should be enough reading for everyone, it will no doubt intregue you to read up on, I know it helped me understand quite a bit.

I have noticed my dog has an extra lid from the tearduct. she sometimes almost shuts it to the upper lid without closing her bottom lid, kinda like a shark. I use something like the sideways eye blinking thing to stifle tears from time to time. I can feel it but I think it could well be a function of me crossing my eye or running the iris across the lid. I have actually had pain in my eye a few times in various fashions I won't go into here. I found this odd because I have heard that there are no nerve endings in the eye. Odd, I think perhapse it could be an allergy issue. I remember allergies used to hit me in th corner of my eye, but recently it is as if I ca feel the allergen on my eye from time to time. Most likely I think I may be feeling the lid.

Back on topic I think seeing things in the dark can best be explained by the subconcious perception. The shadow sight could be seen as spiritual but that depens on the opinion of the observer. I have as a schitzophrenic seen many things in the shadows at night. Not one of them was copporeal and I believe most of the audio was internal.

I found that after a while I could control certain aspects of what I saw. I do not think it healthy to think all the voices were mine but I have utelized visions as avatars for lucid dreaming as well as mastered using my inner voice aon occasion. Odd thing is that the voices are very hard to control sometimes. Sometimes the sound seems to come from within sometimes from without. Though to the phsychologist it is all from within the subject, or in otherwords its all in my head. So when you precieve things in shadow sight your in effect looking in to imagination land.

therein, as the saying goes, lies the rub, Max. I can't prove that it is not as you describe except for events which other people have experienced in common with me, which is not often...most of what I experience is mine alone and has no availability for corroboration or proof, except for my own conviction and belief in them. I could be imagining them, making them up or crazy but I do not think that is the case personally. Unfortunately I cannot transfer this belief and conviction to other people so you are welcome and entitled to your doubt.

I appreciate your point of view but am sure that my experiences are real myself :)

LOL at Mattshark again... I love your unending knowledge of psychological phenomina... wait, you did not even give it a term, or why you don't think that this could be possible...

As for my own experiences I can "grey-out" anything, at any-time all I have to do is focus on an object and blank out everything around it. This is the only time that I could ALMOST see someones aura, but only get VERY faded colors, which is almost pointless.

As for the "shadow people" I've never done this in the mirror outside of a one-time try at OBE infront of a mirror which I did and figured it was kinda cool, but I rather astral projection because you could move. The way I did it in a mirror might have been psychological, though I've never physicaly seen my back, I have seen it in astral projection so that might have gave my brain an image to go off of.

Heres a quick search into a couple of the things you mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_People - More of ghosts and the sightings of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense#Sight - Shows how most people only "read" electromegnetics and photons to veiw something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense#Vision - Talks about cats and snakes and how they can control their sight including ultra violet and infered light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entoptic_phenomenon - Which may be what your experiencing, but its up to you to decide after reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidinger%27s_brush - Where the entoptic phenomina originated from, and also a basic for of why I recieved headaches at young ages from lights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichroism - Looks to be what you are detailing when you are seeing different colors like a soap bubble. This might have also contributed to the migrains where sight is still developing and perhaps (out of iregularity/evolution) being able to see more than electromegnetic waves and photons of light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_dichroism - Explains how all of that is intertwined and related with atoms and even DNA

Well that should be enough reading for everyone, it will no doubt intregue you to read up on, I know it helped me understand quite a bit.

Yet again G, thank you for the information; I spent several minutes reading it with interest....there is some concordance with what I experience but not quite.......some of it is indeed what I see but I'm not entirely sure.......maybe it is some ocular....I hesitate to use the word...adapatation, posibly linked to spirit sight.....my personal instinct is that the boundary is thinning due to our human predeliction to destroy but not replace, thus depleting the "magic" of the land and wearing down the division between our reality and nearby realities.....maybe I'm seeing some of that effect?

Or differently working eyes....your guess is as good as mine

I promised this one a few days ago but I've been busy, sorry!

I have a strange ability which no-one else seems to mention; I've searched the web and various books and found no mention of it. Let me begin;

I don't see the dark as an absense of light or emptiness rather a fluid thing which moves and flows, as does liquid but it is not quite liquid...it's impossible to explain unless you have experienced it! If you imagine a liquid or gas trapped between clear plastic, within that medium it moves and flows and forms patterns....but that plasma or liquid is full of every changing colours, like the colours on a soap bubble; it moves and flows, forms patterns and moves apart again. I find the night and half dark of cities amazingly beautiful in ways the daylight cannot be.....if anyone would like to ask; I'll try to explain it better!

But my shadow-sight as I call it....when it's dark and there are no light sources nearby, I can stare into the dark and 'grey' my sight out, it's like a sideways eyelid either opens or closes across my eye and all details fade out and I can see the background texture I described more clearly and seemingly solid....I am currenly practising because I can maintain this manner of seeing for no longer than a couple of seconds before I either shock myself or my eyes decide to move and I lose the focus. I first noticed this ability when I was sitting in my bedroom at night with the lights out next to a full length mirror, just thinking when I looked to my reflection for some reason (I can't remember why now), unfocussed my eyes and watched my reflection fade out of view; instead seeing one of the shadow people standing behind where my reflection had been, watching me quite intently, as far as I could gather (it had no eyes so I'm only guessing); then, as normal, my vision flicked back to normal.

Has anyone else had this kind of vision before or has this rambling thing here made any sense to anyone? I'll keep you posted as I am trying to practise this ability some more to be able to maintain focus for longer...par of me is sure it's seeing with the eyes of spirit. I have been outside my body once and what i saw then was like I see for brief flashes with my shadow sight.....

Hey there,

I have experienced this since Ive been a child, and in Carlos Castaneda's book "A Seperate Reality", Don Juan, (carlos's spiritual teacher), talks about the difference between looking at the world and SEEING the world. As I have come to understand it, this strange sight we have both been experiencing is a step towards seeing. Try to not focus on one thing, but rather pull in everything at once. See everthing while seeing nothing and your hearing and sight will become like one sense. Don Juan said that seeing is knowing. If you can learn how to see on a regular basis, or in your dreams, you will know more about the people and world around you. Clear your mind and give it another shot!

I gave him the most parsimonious answer, nothing wrong with that.

Hey there,

I have experienced this since Ive been a child, and in Carlos Castaneda's book "A Seperate Reality", Don Juan, (carlos's spiritual teacher), talks about the difference between looking at the world and SEEING the world. As I have come to understand it, this strange sight we have both been experiencing is a step towards seeing. Try to not focus on one thing, but rather pull in everything at once. See everthing while seeing nothing and your hearing and sight will become like one sense. Don Juan said that seeing is knowing. If you can learn how to see on a regular basis, or in your dreams, you will know more about the people and world around you. Clear your mind and give it another shot!

thanks for that advice Appollyon, this is what I wonder about; the idea of seeing what our perception filters "show" us (seeing what we expect to see there after a lifetime of self conditioning) and lifting back on the filters a bit (seeing what is really there)...I think our perception filters are a safety mechanism to a degree but it is possible to pare them back and see what's really there.

The hard part is not letting your eyes be reflexively drawn to the slightest flicker of light or movement!! I'll work on it and keep you posted.

thanks for that advice Appollyon, this is what I wonder about; the idea of seeing what our perception filters "show" us (seeing what we expect to see there after a lifetime of self conditioning) and lifting back on the filters a bit (seeing what is really there)...I think our perception filters are a safety mechanism to a degree but it is possible to pare them back and see what's really there.

The hard part is not letting your eyes be reflexively drawn to the slightest flicker of light or movement!! I'll work on it and keep you posted.

It's kinda like trying to look straight ahead when theres something fluttering right by your eye. My last post was a little sarcastic I think. Indeed some metahpysics buffs and mystics would call it something more than imaginationland. The astral planes or parallel dimensions. I have my own theories about the planes that I won't bore you with here. I try to focus on the way the subconcious works to form these things. Some of them can be conciously controlled others can not. In the case of uncontrollable visions there are many possibilities. It would be the opinion of phsycology that they are in the head of the observer. I prefer to think they could be an effect of a collective subconcious, or something else. The unexplainable avenues are still somewhat valid. A neurochemical reaction could be blamed for these visions yes but they could also be the effect of precieving something defined only in religious or metaphysical context. Honestly I can see what I want to see about a quarter of the time. The other half I don't really know what I'm seeing. The easy way out is to say it is the subconcious. That would be the realm of dreams. This does not automatically mean it is the dream of the observer for it could be the collective subconcious. There could indeed be other planes of existence ot play, other astral planes or other levels of existence. The perception of these planes would still be the subject of the concious and sub concious mind however, and thusly the only way to percieve them is through the realm of dreams. This is debatable I think for unless there was a way to measure this perception it is still subject to observer discretion. I think the factor you mentioned of multiple people being able to precieve things is quite valid. I think Paranormalacy has a theory on phsycic resonance that I thought was pretty good. When one person sees a thing they could be subconciously transmitting it to another. In this way I think it could be subject to the collective subconcious. They are no less real for this rationalization. Whether you call them dreams or visions they really happen and thus even if merely a function of dreams they do exist.

Maximal, please bore with your theory of the planes!! I'm fascinated by the concept and would like to hear your take on them (as a very knowledgable person like you appear to be, and one who has studied these ideas in depth). PM me if you prefer but please share mate!!

By the way, have you read any of Lovecraft's dreamer stories? It does sound very much like what you are describing to me........I wonder about old Howard Phillips sometimes......

Personally I think you might well be onto something you know?

Edited by tinieblas

Maximal, please bore with your theory of the planes!! I'm fascinated by the concept and would like to hear your take on them (as a very knowledgable person like you appear to be, and one who has studied these ideas in depth). PM me if you prefer but please share mate!!

By the way, have you read any of Lovecraft's dreamer stories? It does sound very much like what you are describing to me........I wonder about old Howard Phillips sometimes......

Personally I think you might well be onto something you know?

Ok ok but remember you asked. It occures to me that there are different states of matter within creation. So first there is the realms of creation. Dream falls into this category as do primordial elemental realms similar to spirit but more elemental than ghosts or spirits of the dead. They would exist in a realm of entrophy however the realms of death and dream are in some examples linked. So entrophy and creation are intrinsically linked. So I think the astral planes could be seperated by the alternate energies they represent. I think these alternative realms could be separated by thier intrinsic differences and yet I think some function of them overlaps this existence. So some of them have an effect upon this plane. I think the possibility of many planes gets lofty however so I consolidate it into creation, existence, entrophy. There are other factors in many cosmologies as to the face of entrophy and creation and so I think they are both somewhat multifaceted.

Can't say I've read a lot of Lovecraft saw some movies he had an influence in.

Read "Dream Quest of Unknow Kadath" I'm sure you'd find it interesting, or perhaps uncanny....I like your theory and think that this is where science today is going wrong; instead of trying to apply what they know to the unknown and trying to measure it, they instead deny it for being illogical.....as well you know, life is not logical nor are human beings, despite their best attempts to be so.....we want to be logical and creatures of reason but end up being the most contradictory of beings! Some cling to their logic like a man clinging to tree roots when hanging over a precipice; they are afraid. You see I think it's when you stop being afraid, that's when you can see things.....think on it this way; children experience more psychic events, in general, than adults do. Many people have had experiences as children but not as adults (we adults who do are rarer than sites such as these make one believe), why? Because children have not learned fear yet. Think about how children play, without fear, doing crazy stuff. As a child (also large for their age) I could go on scary fairground rides which scare the beegeesus out of me now! Children are truly fearless, not strictly a good thing. But they accept the paranormal because they have not yet learned to be afraid of it. Igt is letting go of the fear which will allow one's mind to open.....you have, due to your earlier breakdown, in my mind, let go of a lot of your fear in order to be able to function. I could be wrong but this is my theory; for me it is fear which blocks me from doing more than I can.....

but to me, your idea makes a great deal of sense so thank you for sharing!

I read that story; it's one of his longer ones, but it blew my mind; it's prety much about lucid dreaming and dream travelling. I'm not as much a fan of his monster and evil stories but his dream stories are quality.

Hey there (again),

I really think you would benefit by reading that book. Learning to see is an on going process for me but I am getting VEEEEERY close to being able to do it at will, and this is largely due to practice. When you try to "see" you must realize that nothing before your eyes is what it seems. A very effective method for me was in nature. If you have alot of trees in your back yard or a park nearby, go and sit a good twnety feet away from what you are trying to see. Relax and and gaze into the trees and try to completely unfocus your eyes (the reason for this location is that your natural inclination is to look at everything that moves, and in this environment every leaf will move in the wind and every blade of grass will sway so it helps you learn to focus on everything intead of one thing). Eventually you will be able to see that the leaves dont ever move individually, but that everything around you is moving to a rythm. As I told you before, if you do this right, your vision and hearing become one sense and that is "seeing". This method worked wonders for me and I hope it takes you further on your spiritual journey. Let me know how this works for you :)