Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enough with the ghost shows!

Cryptoman

I would call TAPS. They would be the only people I would put faith in, because all of the groups in my area are too spiritual for their own good. With that aside however, because this is not a TAPS bash board, I'm in agreement for the most part. I don't like the GH spin-offs, they were doing great with the original, and I don't think they need to go any farther.

I agree, TAPS are the only team that I would have to investigate my house. But I am glad that there are shows out now on TV. I don't think that I would watch the new Ghost Hunter shows. The Academy one is a bit too much. I do enjoy watching Paranormal State as like the spiritual part of the show, and that's mainly why I watch it. I would love to see more of Extreme Paranormal though. I'm not sure the validty of the show, but it's still entertaining to watch. I haven't watched that Animal Planet show yet so I can't say anything on it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sinewave

• Drago

• Stormcrow

• 667-Neighbor of the Beast

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it's a fad, so be it. I used to have to wait until October to watch something creepy or interesting, now I have it 24/7. Yay me. :)

I think we have chewed this "puppy to death" and need to move on. I think everything that neds to be said, has been said,in one place or another. The comments are dated, save the most recent one, and I simply hate to see something "run into the ground". Sorry if I jerked anyone chain at the Admin level with my comments. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.

• 6 months later...

I agree that most of these shows are hilarious crap. It may be that Discovery and others are going to jettison ALL paranormal shows. I would like to see something more realistic in a show, something less over the top dramatic. I think like most shows, these paranormal shows are basically what some production people think paranormal shows are suppose to be like. Go for ratings, not realism. I just wish they could find a happy medium (no pun intended). I still would like to see some creepy, spooky shows. I don't want everything to be fake forensics, fake law enforcement, fake rich white women, fake douchbag dudes, etc.

I personally would love to see more shows critical on the paranormal rather than be pro-paranormal.

However, they just won't be as popular.

Because most people want to believe in the supernatural, and it's veryh hard to fight popular belief.

• 2 weeks later...

It's like *GASP!* seeing a Scooby Doo episode you've never seen before in your life, and your brother/sister/friend/significant other goes, "Oh, that one? Turns out it's Old Man Jenkins using glowing paint and a jetpack."

...*Bang head against wall* What. The. Hell? It was a mystery, it was fun, and now you're just blankly looking at the TV going "...Damnit."

The one episode of Scooby Doo I always dreamed of them making would be the one where the "ghost" takes one look at Scooby and runs out of the room screaming about the giant talking dog.

Run screaming from the room. This is something else that bugs me about most of these shows. The people make a big deal out of how they are skeptics and they want to debunk and find the truth. (The truth as the shows producers see it.) Then something happens - a noise, a tactile occurrence, whatever. Some of them immediately freak. If their tendency is to not believe in ghosts, then what are they afraid the noises, etc. are? They will shout at the ghosts, telling the ghosts to make a noise, or show themselves. So, something happens. They cry out, "What was that!!" I don't know, maybe it was the ghosts doing exactly what you asked them to do. They go to places wanting something to happen and then are surprised or frightened when something happens. Then on show after show, year after year, they still claim to be skeptics even though the shows seem to have all this paranormal stuff happening. It's kind of like Scully on the X-Files who sees all kinds of stuff and doesn't budge from her skepticism.

Run screaming from the room. This is something else that bugs me about most of these shows. The people make a big deal out of how they are skeptics and they want to debunk and find the truth. (The truth as the shows producers see it.) Then something happens - a noise, a tactile occurrence, whatever. Some of them immediately freak. If their tendency is to not believe in ghosts, then what are they afraid the noises, etc. are? They will shout at the ghosts, telling the ghosts to make a noise, or show themselves. So, something happens. They cry out, "What was that!!" I don't know, maybe it was the ghosts doing exactly what you asked them to do. They go to places wanting something to happen and then are surprised or frightened when something happens. Then on show after show, year after year, they still claim to be skeptics even though the shows seem to have all this paranormal stuff happening. It's kind of like Scully on the X-Files who sees all kinds of stuff and doesn't budge from her skepticism.

That has always amused and disappointed me too. They are not skeptics but my favorite freak outs have been with the Ghost Adventure crew, knuckleheads they are. The Goldfield Hotel show was their best for that. They ran from the basement screaming like little girls. I nearly wet myself laughing.

The thing that rather jars when I watch such shows is not only the running out of room screaming like an idiot, the constant refering to equipment EVERY five minutes (US shows are the worse for this. Yes, you may have viewers who have no idea what EMF, EVP, or indeed any sort of basic intelligence. But it's likely that your core viewing public may have either seen the show before, or actually know just what the heck they are watching and know the general terms) which can annoy, but this this idea that you can only walk around a location in pitch darkness. Yes, the green hue of night vision is very nice and gives the air of mystery but for crying out loud! <_< There is no real reason for anyone to do this! It's a throwback to the Victorian era and their rather suspect seances. A lot can be hidden in the darkness, and frankly it gets wearing that this is still regarded as a vital part of field investigation.

Ghost Hunters isn't that bad, at times they seem to forget to acknowledge the camera crew mind, but I can't make any sort of staement on the spin off Academy show as I've never seen it, but am aware the the International show is from the few bits I have seen awful! Mind you, that live GH special at the Waverly Sanitorium was very funny. Thta bloody wrestler getting spooked at the end and running out. Oh aye, what a brave guy! Or as we call such types, big flamin' Jessie! :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't watch paranormal shows, Ghost Hunters had about two episodes where there was a bunch of creepy, seemingly unanswered stuff, so was a waste.

I never watched Most Haunted but it's known here as a joke&friends that watch it, do so just to have a laugh at how bad it is. We need something really scary just for the sake of it. But it's good to have some shows that focus on trying to debunk first.

Well, I like ghost stories. When I was watching Ghosthunters I actually just watched for two reasons; to see if they'd actually catch something, and to see the places they go to.

Would not the citing of various shows be considered "advertising", which is not supposed to be done here. Just free ads for the shows.

• 1 month later...

Most if not all the shows, no matter how intent in the beginning to be somewhat ethical and scientific all end up being "edited" and/or somewhat scripted. You tube is full of evidence that even the best of the shows cannot explain away. And the solution to a show that would be beyond is very simple, it's called a control shot, i.e. cameras stationed outside the filming areas that capture all entrances/exits, also cameramen filming the film crew. ( they do this by the way but rarely release the footage unless it is something that helps their cause ) Also do you notice how in the beginning of GH when they showed tape/sound evidence they always included the footage meter/counter to show that the action occurred in real time, and not via editing. They now no longer do this, and this coincides with the vast amount of claims of faking evidence. Also a very simple technique that real investigators use is to use two recorders in each EVP session, one digital and one cassesste ( magnetic tape ).....if it is a true EVP it will be on both recorders, something that was used in some older investigative documentaries........they don't follow this now because you can't "scan" through a file of sounds on the recorder if it is tape and if there is a seperate recorder. K2 meters can be tripped by the use of walkie talkies, watch you tube or google K2 fake....and all the shows use walkie talkies.....as a true investigator I was excited at the popularity and the hope of some actual real cases, but it has now turned into scripted BS...many of the shows clients have spoken out after the "confidentiality clauses" have expired and when you read some of the reports, it will make you realize it's just entertainment. Last point true investigations sometimes take weeks, not just 24 hours......but then that would involve more work than actions........I'll keep watching but I'm disapointed.......

Ghost Hunters = Fun, but loosing credibility with each new season. Obviously major influence by producers.

Ghost Adventures = Just funny. These guys make me laugh but I don't believe the majority of what they find.

Paranormal State = Meh. Few okay episodes. Not my favorite.

Most Haunted = The bottom rung of the ghost show ladder IMO.

They all serve a purpose, and that is to waste atleast an hour a week of anyone who foolishly watches such diretripe ;)