Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large Hadron Collider broken by bread

questionmark

The 27-kilometer (16.8 mile) LHC suffered serious overheating in several sections after the small piece of baguette landed in a piece of equipment on the surface above the accelerator ring.

Dr Mike Lamont, the LHC’s Machine Coordinator, said that a “a bit of baguette”, believed to have been dropped by a bird, caused the superconducting magnets to heat up from 1.9 Kelvin (-271.1C) to around 8 Kelvin (-265C), near the mark where they stop superconducting.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• The Silver Thong

• DigitalSentinal

• ShadowSot

A piece of baguette dropped by a bird? Im starting to like that theory that universe wont allow the god particle to be seen.

My boss told me a story about he used to fix radar equipment in the Air Force, and one time he was called in fix a dish that had stopped working, and he found the problem was that a fountain drink had been dropped into some crucial component and shorted it out, lol

All one has to do is look to a very famous law called Murphy ;)

All one has to do is look to a very famous law called Murphy ;)

Nah, this is when something goes by government contract...if you buy the cheapest don't be surprised that it is really cheap.

Which genius designed it so that there was sensitive equipment above the ground?

Which genius designed it so that there was sensitive equipment above the ground?

...without a cover...

Maybe this is the first warning not to start it up. Maybe we won't get another chance, or maybe lightning will strike it next time lol.

Mothership over LHC. That's what needs to happen. Anyhow, I look forward to the day they finally fire it up full on. That way, if something or someone doesn't want it to work, the juice will really be turned on.

A piece of baguette dropped by a bird? Im starting to like that theory that universe wont allow the god particle to be seen.

Indeed, in another multiverse the bird was instead eaten by a cat and the world ended. :lol:

the universe doesnt want us to probe the nature of reality... so its sending pigeons with baguettes from the future on sabotage missions. apparently we humans can build multibillion dollar particle accelerators, but are still incapable of defending it against such a worthy opponent as a bird with bread. whats next, raccoons throwing pizza slices at the LHC?? a coon could probably get away with doing $25million dollars of damage due to a piece of pepperoni lodged in the superconductor magnets... lol

i cant wait for it to actually work and destroy reality.

Quantum suicide and immortality This is what I have been saying all along, and it just keeps failing and failing somehow... This is a bit scary. Why isn't anyone listening to me!!? :w00t:

The theory is that if this machine will bring the end of us all, and we live in a multiverse. Then there are versions of us that survives because the machine failed somehow... And that just happens to be us, if it isn't, then... :cry:

Edited by .i.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous. A bird and a piece of bread. Bombarded by baguettes, and the thing shuts down. Jeez/

Whats wrong with all you people, am i the only one who sees it??...that bird was sent back in time by the machine and it's overlords to ruin the project, then off to find the person who keeps making them Saw movies and slit his throat.

I know this sounds crazy....but what is the Hadron Collider? What is it supposed to do...

I know this sounds crazy....but what is the Hadron Collider? What is it supposed to do...

Some fools built it to try and create a black hole...yup, here on earth

A few days ago I read an article (CLICK HERE) listing all the ridiculous things that have happened everytime the LHC was about to be turned on (and while being built), as if some force of Nature is preventing it from being used- presumably because usage of the LHC would cause a paradox in space-time.

A few days ago I read an article (CLICK HERE) listing all the ridiculous things that have happened everytime the LHC was about to be turned on (and while being built), as if some force of Nature is preventing it from being used- presumably because usage of the LHC would cause a paradox in space-time.

Indeed it is true that a lot of things have happened, some bordering absurd. However, on the other hand I think it should also be taken into account that this is the most complex machine ever built by man with all the problems that entails. I would be more surprised if it was turned on and just worked as specified without any problems.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Silly guy thats not what it's for LOL thats just a side effect LOL If a black hole were to be a side effect it would be so small it would only last a fraction of a second then gone. The LHC is desighned to smash particles at near the speed of light to recreate the conditions of the big bang the beggining of the universe type stuff.

No, the LHC was built, but like the other colliders, to recreates reactions that occur in Earth's atmosphere daily, with the intent of recreating the reactions in a controlled environment.

The hop is, to find the Higgs Boson.