Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large Hadron Collider broken by bread

questionmark

If they keep turning it on and it keeps breaking down and continues to do so for months or years. when do we reach a point in time where we stop throwing money at it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• The Silver Thong

• DigitalSentinal

• ShadowSot

Which genius designed it so that there was sensitive equipment above the ground?

I was wondering about that too. That can't be the case. Any superconducting magnets must be covered by several metres of shielding (lead, then concrete probably) or radiation from the hadron beam would cook everything around it. I often do experiments at synchrotrons, which are basically really small versions of the LHC (well technically the LHC is a synchrotron, so I do experiments at electron rings rather than hadron rings), and even they have at least of metre of concrete shielding between you and the ring.

The only possibility I can think of is that the LHC ring is big enough that birds somehow got inside the structure and are currently living there. In which case;

• Why aren't they trying to catch these birds, and
  • Why are people eating food inside a radiation area?

Actually I guess the answer to the second part is pretty obvious. I don't really respect the health and safety guidelines at any of the facilities I've done research at either.

If they keep turning it on and it keeps breaking down and continues to do so for months or years. when do we reach a point in time where we stop throwing money at it.

Too late, they got all the money they need for the next ten years already.

wow, you kidding me?

pfft, i want to meet the idiots who thought they did a good job designing this money spender.

No, the LHC was built, but like the other colliders, to recreates reactions that occur in Earth's atmosphere daily, with the intent of recreating the reactions in a controlled environment.

The hop is, to find the Higgs Boson.

Higgs Boson??

Some fools built it to try and create a black hole...yup, here on earth

well why in hades would someone want to create a black hole here on earth...everything ive read about black holes is dangerous.....

they dont want to create a black hole, its a "possible" side effect some alarmists say could happen

Which even then wouldn't be self sustaining.

It's not like this is the first collider that's been built.

Originally by 1radtech

Higgs Boson??

http://tinyurl.com/lesvob

It's really just a fancy hotel for the rich come 2012 LOL There food replicators are whats holding them up LOL

It's really just a fancy hotel for the rich come 2012 LOL There food replicators are whats holding them up LOL

Ah, it's the beer replicator that is causing trouble then, I suspect :P

Cheers,

Badeskov

Too late, they got all the money they need for the next ten years already.

It may not be a toilet bowl, but an artificial black hole will still flush all that taxpayers' money down the next dimensional drain.

It may not be a toilet bowl, but an artificial black hole will still flush all that taxpayers' money down the next dimensional drain.

And you can point me to a serious paper (i.e. one not written by a dope smoking blogger) claiming that CERN will cause a black hole?

A peckish bird briefly knocked out part of the world's biggest atom smasher by causing a chain reaction with a piece of bread, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said Monday.

Bits of a French loaf dropped on an external electrical power supply caused a short circuit last week, triggering failsafe devices that shut down part of the cooling system of the giant experiment to probe the secrets of the universe, CERN said.

The system was restored several hours after the incident last Tuesday while the multi-billion dollar Large Hadron Collider was barely affected, a spokeswoman said.

For full story see: www.spacedaily.com

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
see post below.

A peckish bird briefly knocked out part of the world's biggest atom smasher by causing a chain reaction with a piece of bread, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said Monday.

I am going to move the above post out of the Space News section to the Science and Technology section and merge it with the already existing thread on this subject.3

Also, in keeping with this sites rules on posting copyrighted material and have reduced the length of the above post.

2. Post content

Please read and understand the following before posting:

2c. Copyrighted material: If you quote text from another web site then please properly credit the source. Not doing so constitutes plagiarism, always include a source link with quoted material. Members are asked to copy only as much as is necessary when quoting copyrighted material from other web sites, do not copy and paste entire articles or web pages.

Hmmmm, bread? Isn't 'the body of Christ' basically bread? Someone is trying to stop the God particle. :blink:

would be creepy if it starts to work in 2012 :unsure2: ............ :rofl:

I thought the same thing. The first time it will actually function properly will be in Dec 2012. :P

When you read this:

Collider resumes hunt for 'God particle'

(CNN) -- Is the Large Hadron Collider being sabotaged from the future? Or merely by birds?

The LHC, the world's largest particle accelerator, has been under repair for more than a year because of an electrical failure in September 2008.

Now, excitement and mysticism are building again around the $10 billion machine as the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) gears up to circulate a high-energy proton beam around the collider's 17-mile tunnel. The event should take place this month, said Steve Myers, CERN's Director for Accelerators and Technology.

Read more

you know where the "black hole crap" comes from.

Edited by questionmark

Alice and the Looking Glass, Thats what your saying right?

What if we dont fire it up and find out that in the future we Didnt Fire it up and then because of doing that,we ended the research futher delaying the advancement of our future. And then we dont destroy ourselfs until thousands of years from then?

Thats Like hurry up and wait isnt it?

I would hurry up and Blow it up now and find all our atoms re-assymbled in the Far Distant Future!

Then I wont need to worrie about 2012 or what ever comes after that Joke.

As for the Black Hole Cra$$ Its mosty a Bottomless Money Pit !

More Power Scotty! Give me more Power! :w00t:

Edited by DONTEATUS

would be creepy if it starts to work in 2012 :unsure2: ............ :rofl:

i love your alien dude!

sooo cool, i cant stop looking at it.

Alice and the Looking Glass, Thats what your saying right?

What if we dont fire it up and find out that in the future we Didnt Fire it up and then because of doing that,we ended the research futher delaying the advancement of our future. And then we dont destroy ourselfs until thousands of years from then?

Thats Like hurry up and wait isnt it?

I would hurry up and Blow it up now and find all our atoms re-assymbled in the Far Distant Future!

Then I wont need to worrie about 2012 or what ever comes after that Joke.

As for the Black Hole Cra$$ Its mosty a Bottomless Money Pit !

More Power Scotty! Give me more Power! :w00t:

Sling shot around the sun (warp 10 plus) and I have that baby workin like no tommorow LOL