Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My biggest concern over Dec 21 2012

Mace Windu

It is Dec 20th and the weeks before hand. I don't believe the world will end, but there are going to be people that will go out looting and whatnot thinking it will end. That is what concerns me. Even if you do or do not believe that the world is going to end, you can all agree that the worst will come out in people in those last few weeks/days leading up to Dec 21. To me, the people are more frightening than the world ending.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emma_Acid

• Harakuro

• TheSearcher

• HerNibs

It is Dec 20th and the weeks before hand. I don't believe the world will end, but there are going to be people that will go out looting and whatnot thinking it will end. That is what concerns me. Even if you do or do not believe that the world is going to end, you can all agree that the worst will come out in people in those last few weeks/days leading up to Dec 21. To me, the people are more frightening than the world ending.

:) Nah, none of that happened Dec. 31, 1999.

Same scenario.

I'm not worried.

Nibs

1. a minority of people believe in the world ending 2012

2. the streets of britain will be safe just for that fact that we don't care :yes:

Besides, the "prophecy" is kinda vague. The world ends 12/12/2012 where? I mean, we don't all exist on the same clock. I'm assuming the "prophecy" was written before we had nifty time zones and datelines.

Hmmm...

Nibs

Besides, the "prophecy" is kinda vague. The world ends 12/12/2012 where? I mean, we don't all exist on the same clock. I'm assuming the "prophecy" was written before we had nifty time zones and datelines.

Hmmm...

Nibs

Well the latest bit is there was an error in the calculations and the Mayan long count calendar doesn't actually end till 2220. Lots of time for your grand children and greeat-grand children to worry.

Well the latest bit is there was an error in the calculations and the Mayan long count calendar doesn't actually end till 2220. Lots of time for your grand children and greeat-grand children to worry.

*gigglesnort*

Ok, who came up with the extra 208 years? Please tell me that it WASN'T a 2012 wackadoo attempting to give themselves a way out.

Nibs

*gigglesnort*

Ok, who came up with the extra 208 years? Please tell me that it WASN'T a 2012 wackadoo attempting to give themselves a way out.

Nibs

No not a wackadoo. It was talked about in this UM thread 2012 not the end

No not a wackadoo. It was talked about in this UM thread 2012 not the end

Cool. :D

Was never worried about it personally but I have a thickheaded kid who won't take my word for it. I'll give him this info.

Nibs

Cool. :D

Was never worried about it personally but I have a thickheaded kid who won't take my word for it. I'll give him this info.

Nibs

If the kid won't pay attention to the truth just ask the following:

"Do you know more than God?" :innocent::blush:

I had a wacko try and close me down because of this 2012 stuff. I asked him the above qustion and he wanted to know how and why I asked it. My response is below. If the person believes in a Supreme Being, GOD, they can't respond "YES!" without commiting a mortal sin.

"For not even HIS angels in heaven shall know of the appointed time the end will come." Revelations [/font]

why do all those who mock the predictions of 2012 all seem to have gotten their information from the Daily Fail (haha)??? Prevailing belief is and has been, for those who listen and don't read certain "newspapers" 2012 is not the end, it is the beginning of a new age, it brings about a change, just as I have said on every other thread on the subject.....apokalipsys is Greek for "revelation" not "doom", the masses misunderstanding again hey?

I had a wacko try and close me down because of this 2012 stuff. I asked him the above qustion and he wanted to know how and why I asked it. My response is below. If the person believes in a Supreme Being, GOD, they can't respond "YES!" without commiting a mortal sin.

"For not even HIS angels in heaven shall know of the appointed time the end will come." Revelations [/font]

:D Yeah, that won't hold much of an impact around here.

Nibs

Nice one, I like.

I don't buy into this 2012 stuff. Even if the Mayans had predicted the end of the world, which they didn't, why would anyone even take the predictions made by a culture that couldn't even predict their own downfall seriously? I think that people tend to attach too much "mystical wisdom" to some of these ancient cultures because it's such a commonly used Hollywood hook, honestly. Hollywood has stereotyped it all to bits with the "wise shaman", the idea of modern society ignoring ancient wisdom, etc... Alongside that, we have those people that want to feel like they are in the know about something "special" because they don't seem to realize that there is so much more in their lives that should make them feel special. Whatever.

I was reading the National Geographic website recently, where they went through and debunked all the 2012 prophecies. In this article, it was noted that people have really been in a bit of a panic and writing in to scientists to see if they should commit suicide before the end comes. Here is the link.

While I don't think that December 12, 2012 is going to cause widespread panic, I do think that unless the next two years bring about a bit of common sense, that there will be issues on a minor scale. There is always someone desperate enough, frightened enough, and gullible enough to react to this sort of thing and take extreme measures one way or another.

Edited by Marby

Hmmm...

Nibs

There was no prophecy of course, but the long count cycle was supposed to start over at 11:11am UTC (the 2012 Winter Solstice) by the most commonly accepted correlation. The Mayans made their calendar based on natural observable cycles of the sun, moon, venus etc, and was surprisingly accurate as a calendar system. The correlation between their calendar and ours was able to be calculated due to the Spanish conquistadors marking events that took place that were able to be matched to events marked by the Mayans.

I believe the date has recently come in to question, it is possible that an error was made somewhere, humans make mistakes all too often, there have been many different attempts at correlation between the calendars, the one that produced the 2012 date was considered the most accurate, though i haven't seen the information that shows that its wrong, anyone got a link or something?

More information can be found here

Edited by DrunkDwarf

There was no prophecy of course, but the long count cycle was supposed to start over at 11:11am UTC (the 2012 Winter Solstice) by the most commonly accepted correlation. The Mayans made their calendar based on natural observable cycles of the sun, moon, venus etc, and was surprisingly accurate as a calendar system. The correlation between their calendar and ours was able to be calculated due to the Spanish conquistadors marking events that took place that were able to be matched to events marked by the Mayans.

I believe the date has recently come in to question, it is possible that an error was made somewhere, humans make mistakes all too often, there have been many different attempts at correlation between the calendars, the one that produced the 2012 date was considered the most accurate, though i haven't seen the information that shows that its wrong, anyone got a link or something?

More information can be found here

Try this link

Nah, I think mankind is smarter than that - why? Because, we learned our lesson from the Roswell incident. ;)

Ah, so its just another new correlation put forth, there have been many of these. Are there any other articles to confirm that the majority of Maya scholars now agree that this specific correlation should replace the Goodman, Martinez, Thompson (GMT) correlation? Hopefully in English, Google translate tends to be awful.

EDIT: i found this link: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/2012-countdown-to-armageddon-4438/maloof-maya-calendar which mentions Andreas Fuls, and does suggest that "Not every Maya scholar shares Andreas’ opinion", so it may still not be considered accurate yet. Ill keep searching for other articles.

Edited by DrunkDwarf

I fully agree. And the supposed 1999 hysteria had theoretically been building up for a thousand years, not merely seven or eight.

The most violent thing that seems to have happened then was that some idiot dynamited a power pylon in one of the North-Wst states. Power to the grid was disrupted for a mere EIGHT seconds.

To make things even more confused there are two different dates being evangelized for this particular "Doomsday" - 12/12/2012 AND 12/21/2012.

Drat! I'm going to have to spend NINE entire days under my bed!

Edited by OldTimeRadio

Same scenario.

I'm not worried.

Nibs

Yeah, but people weren't allegedly facing the end with Y2K. Only the collapse(s) threats of the monetary system(s)- so to speak. The people facing this alleged end would more than likely act differently, if they're to act at all.

u know what would be weird... if they schedueld a test for that big partical thingy that their trying to recreate the big bang with on dec 21 2012 i think people would be going crazy haha

Why do I get the feeling that ever since the 90s ended with the bogus Y2K scare, there will always be some sort of "doomsday revelation" towards the end of every decade? Which of course never happens.

Why do I get the feeling that ever since the 90s ended with the bogus Y2K scare, there will always be some sort of "doomsday revelation" towards the end of every decade? Which of course never happens.

It's actually been going on a lot longer than that. We just point these out because they have happened within our own lifetimes.

i wonder if they will, or is the whole Mayan Calednar/2012 nonsense really only just known about among people who worry about conspiracy theories and blogs and similar things? I mean, how many people who see that 2012 movie really know what it's all about? The whole Mayan business, I mean.

Ah, so its just another new correlation put forth, there have been many of these. Are there any other articles to confirm that the majority of Maya scholars now agree that this specific correlation should replace the Goodman, Martinez, Thompson (GMT) correlation? Hopefully in English, Google translate tends to be awful.

EDIT: i found this link: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/2012-countdown-to-armageddon-4438/maloof-maya-calendar which mentions Andreas Fuls, and does suggest that "Not every Maya scholar shares Andreas’ opinion", so it may still not be considered accurate yet. Ill keep searching for other articles.

Erm sorry mate, the original article is in Dutch, not English, and yes the google translation page is awfull on a good day.

And of course not everybody agrees with Andreas Fuls, that's what science is all about, uttering a theory and then going about proving it over and over again.

This said, we're talking about the interpretation of mayan glyphs, about which there are many interpretations, made by scientists, one as validly qualified as the other. Time will tell (pun intended)