Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My biggest concern over Dec 21 2012

Mace Windu

The singularity has infinite density, not mass.

My bad. Knew when I was typing it that it wasn't right.

Space doesn't fall towards the singularity - if it did the singularity would expand above a 1D point. Space curves towards the singularity, with the curvature increasing the closer to the singularity you get. Between the event horizon and the singularity is a region where every non-superluminal trajectory will get bent back to the singularity.

Uh, and again. I'm glad I'm being got on just technicalities so far though!

You have a good definition of energy. But of course gravitational potential has the ability to do work.

As I pointed out above, I was over simplifying, probably mistakenly. But thanks ....

Edited by Emma_Acid

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emma_Acid

• Harakuro

• TheSearcher

• HerNibs

You're not the only one. I'm having a bad day. I guess I was massively over-simplifying, because when someone says "energy coming out of a black hole", they don't mean gravitational energy, they literally mean a beam of energy.

Sorry, really haven't got my thinking cap on today. Consider myself truly told.

Don't worry about it Emma, we all have bad days and we can't be 100% correct all the time either. As for simplifying things, nothing wrong with that, some tend to forget that not all of us have the same knowledge or comprehension of a subject.

As correct as Sepulchrave may be (and god knows he is right on the money), you explained it to someone who has no knowledge about black holes at all, so still a good, understandable effort in my book. :tu:

My biggest concern is that by Dec 21, 2012 there will be so many topics on the whole 2012 thing that it will use up all the server space in the world and crash the interwebs. :P

Don't worry too much, server space is increasing at the same rate as the contents. Besides sys admins sometimes archive stuff.... It's the bandwidth used that could become problematic in some places though.

I like the part about all th eStrang Women on the Forum! I bet they will even get stranger when Dec 12th 2012 rolls around?

Hello All,

I am new to this discussion. I read http://www.viewzone.com/endtime.html and think the scientific explanation about the combined gravity pull of a gaseous star like the Sun makes sense. However, as it is a new concept to me, I need to know if there is scientific proving that 21 Dec 2012 there will be alignment of all solar planets and there will be a solar system drift across the galaxy plate from north to south.

Also, I believe when the solar planets get closer to this alignment there will be a gradual increase in solar effect (glare) that we should know by then.

Hello All,

I am new to this discussion. I read http://www.viewzone.com/endtime.html and think the scientific explanation about the combined gravity pull of a gaseous star like the Sun makes sense. However, as it is a new concept to me, I need to know if there is scientific proving that 21 Dec 2012 there will be alignment of all solar planets and there will be a solar system drift across the galaxy plate from north to south.

Also, I believe when the solar planets get closer to this alignment there will be a gradual increase in solar effect (glare) that we should know by then.

It is an interesting fact that the Mayan calendar number 13.0.0.0.0 coincides with this date where this alignment happens (if all true).

From my guts, I do not believe anything significant will happen.

Hello All,

There is no galactic alignment or anything of the sort. But don't take my word for it, afterall, who am i? Instead, why dont you have a read of what NASA has to say about 2012. Afterall, they know a little bit about space and stuff. :P

Edited by DrunkDwarf

However, as it is a new concept to me, I need to know if there is scientific proving that 21 Dec 2012 there will be alignment of all solar planets and there will be a solar system drift across the galaxy plate from north to south.

Right now the solar system is at least 5 light years `north' of the Galactic equator. It will not cross the `galaxy plate' any time soon. Further, there will be no alignment of the planets any time near 2012.

Secondly, the website you link to claims that we have a solar maximum when the Jupiter and Saturn are on opposite sides of the Sun - in other words the maximum is caused by the two planets tugging at the Sun in different directions. I don't know whether or not this is true (it does seem to be a reasonable hypothesis), but I'm inclined to think it isn't. To be specific:

• The change in the Sun-Jupiter barycenter when Jupiter is closest and furthest from the Sun is only about 0.01% of the Sun's radius.

• The change in the Sun-Saturn barycenter when Saturn is closest and furthest from the sun is only about 0.007% of the Sun's radius.

I am not convinced that such small changes are sufficient to drive the solar activity cycle. Further:

• The change in the aligned Sun-Jupiter-Saturn barycenter when Jupiter and Saturn are closest to the Sun and on opposite sides, and when Jupiter and Saturn are furthest from the Sun and on the same side is only about 0.13% of the Sun's radius.

This is still pretty small, and this is the maximum possible barycenter shift in the Sun-Jupiter-Saturn system. I don't even know if this shift will ever happen (i.e. if Jupiter and Saturn are ever aligned at their perihelions, for example).

Finally, the solar system isn't moving appreciably closer to the galactic center, so it is hard to say why crossing the galactic equator - even if it did happen - would have any effect on the Sun, at least by the methods described in the link. Gravity is only a function of radial distance, and the distance between the solar system and the galactic center is pretty much constant.

It's the same thing that happened for 2000. What do people is gonna happen at that time? Is the world just gonna explode?