Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Blood_Sacrifice

Apostasy in Islam

Blood_Sacrifice

I'd always known that fanatic religious folks are way too insecure bout their respective faith that they end up using violence and terrorism as a mean to keep people under their faith. Apostasy had always been a serious issue in the past. However, with the progress of time, we have seen people accepting others into their faith, just as people are accepting people of their faith to leave and follow a different one, r lack thereof.

But this is hat I read about apostasy in Islam (from Wiki):

Apostasy in Islam (Arabic: ??????, irtidad or ridda?) is commonly defined as the rejection in word or deed of their former religion (apostasy) by a person who was previously a follower of Islam.
In Islamic law (sharia), the consensus view is that a male apostate must be put to death unless he suffers from a mental disorder or converted under duress, for example, due to an imminent danger of being killed. A female apostate must be either executed, according to Shafi'i, Maliki, and Hanbali schools of Sunni Islamic jurisprudence (fiqh), or imprisoned until she reverts to Islam as advocated by the Sunni Hanafi school and by Shi'a scholars.
Most Islamic scholars agree that the appropriate punishment for apostasy is beheading.[citation needed]Mamluk Sultan Baybars II also practiced torture of apostates. A case is recorded when a woman who had apostatised was led through the streets of Cairo dragged on her bottom, then strangled in a boat in the middle of the Nile and thrown into the river. In modern times, followers of the Ahmadiyya sect in Afghanistan were stoned to death. The execution for apostasy was abolished in most Muslim lands in the 19th century either through European pressure or through the direct European rule; however, cases of imprisonment and deportation of apostates still occurred. Nevertheless, even nowadays apostates are not sure of their lives, as their Muslim relatives frequently try to kill them.[19] Ideally, the one performing the execution of an apostate must be an imam.[19] At the same time, all schools of Islamic jurisprudence agree that any Muslim can kill an apostate without punishment.

I am highly thoroughly disgusted.

Your thoughts?