Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Is doomsday coming ?

39 posts in this topic

UM-Bot
With the release of Roland Emmerich's "2012" the topic of doomsday or the end of the world is on many people's minds. How likely is it that the world will end in some apocalyptic disaster and if not in 2012 then when ?

"NASA said last week that the world was not ending — at least anytime soon. Last year, CERN, the European Center for Nuclear Research, said the same thing..."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: New York Times

ohio state buckeyes

With the release of Roland Emmerich's "2012" the topic of doomsday or the end of the world is on many people's minds. How likely is it that the world will end in some apocalyptic disaster and if not in 2012 then when ?

"NASA said last week that the world was not ending — at least anytime soon. Last year, CERN, the European Center for Nuclear Research, said the same thing..."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: New York Times

No I really dont think so, but I do find it odd that a number of civilizations talk about 2012

jbondo

One misconception which seems to be believed by most is that the Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012. This is an absolute fallacy as they made no such claim. Their prediction had to do with a new beginning of sorts and it was more positive than anything.

DurgaMata

Both nonsense. The only surviving piece of Mayan writing on the end of the 13th baktun doesnt mean any thing of relevance.

Edited by DurgaMata

SRCivic98

the world will end when humans decide that they have had enough of each other.

Stormcrow

One misconception which seems to be believed by most is that the Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012. This is an absolute fallacy as they made no such claim. Their prediction had to do with a new beginning of sorts and it was more positive than anything.

Technically, you could look at it as a new beginning. The world is kind of renewing itself, and those that survive it get to start all over. Everything has been rearranged, the climate will change, species will change, and even the human race will have to change in order to adapt to the hostile new world--if they can even survive it. Sounds like a new beginning to me, anyway.

behaviour???

I find it odd to belive that the world will end in 2012.Some fictitious movie has no role in inspiring me to think that the world will end in the near times.Life has made me a kid in the heart and i wish if i could be like a kid....I dont want it to end so i dont belive it in either

Thanks

B???

brlesq1

The end of an era, the beginning of another...or maybe the Mayans started on another or made another calendar and its been lost, maybe they didn't start on another for whatever reason...

I just don't understand why suddenly the world falls on the basis of a centuries old calendar.

MitsuharuSan

We are already living the end of the world... Just take a look at what we've done to the world, to the climate, etc.

Golden Hawk

I just don't understand why suddenly the world falls on the basis of a centuries old calendar.

Let's see the world was going to end in 100AD, 500AD, 1000AD, 1500AD, etc, etc, etc through to 31DEC1999 (NOT the end of the millenium), then 31DEC2000 and 31DEC2001. We're still here gang. <_<

Since the end didn't come, a handful of "fruit bats" changed their collective brain (er minds) and came up with 12/21/2012.

Now the cute part, most of these folks are very relegious; go to church twice a week, etc. However they choose to believe in a pagan calender; from which they have derived this most recent "end of the world" scenerio; all the while completely overlooking their own Bible . . .

"For not even the angels of Heaven shall know of the appointed time." Revelations :innocent:

So suddenly humans are smarter than G-D's Angels :innocent: ? :blush:

I don't think so. :(:no:

SRCivic98

Let's see the world was going to end in 100AD, 500AD, 1000AD, 1500AD, etc, etc, etc through to 31DEC1999 (NOT the end of the millenium), then 31DEC2000 and 31DEC2001. We're still here gang. <_<

Since the end didn't come, a handful of "fruit bats" changed their collective brain (er minds) and came up with 12/21/2012.

Now the cute part, most of these folks are very relegious; go to church twice a week, etc. However they choose to believe in a pagan calender; from which they have derived this most recent "end of the world" scenerio; all the while completely overlooking their own Bible . . .

"For not even the angels of Heaven shall know of the appointed time." Revelations :innocent:

So suddenly humans are smarter than G-D's Angels :innocent: ? :blush:

I don't think so. :(:no:

I'll take an Ice Age occurance or entrance in 2012 more than the world coming to an end. 10,000 BC is when the last Ice Age ended. So if I'm thinking right, right about now Earth should be getting ready to cool off a lot in the next three or four years. Oh well, at least it'll save me money in my cooling bills but suck during my heating charges, lol. But luckily I love Artic gear and MRE's !!!! yummy yum yum in my rummy tum tum, lol! I heard my little brother say that so I figured it would fit right in there.

jbondo

Technically, you could look at it as a new beginning. The world is kind of renewing itself, and those that survive it get to start all over. Everything has been rearranged, the climate will change, species will change, and even the human race will have to change in order to adapt to the hostile new world--if they can even survive it. Sounds like a new beginning to me, anyway.

That's not what they meant. It had nothing to do with a doomsday. I'll look it up because they said something about crops and stuff as well.

OldTimeRadio
No I really dont think so, but I do find it odd that a number of civilizations talk about 2012

It's happened before. Claims were made in the middle 1950s that a half-dozen lines of prophecy indicated that the end of the world would transpire in March, 1957. And much the same thing occurred again in February, 1962.

OldTimeRadio

By the way, why do we all seem to be automatically assuming that the Mayans of centuries ago were authorities on the year 2012? On what basis?

fish13

Well the maya's wern't fool or stupid . They must have a strong reason .Humanity should find it out to save whatever they can .

fish13

well mister\maam mayan did not think of time they just did their fantastic job .

http://

http://

questionmark

Just another excuse for those who are unwilling to do anything. If they can claim that doomsday is coming, why should they?

Siara

Well the maya's wern't fool or stupid . They must have a strong reason .Humanity should find it out to save whatever they can .

The Mayan calendar does not say 2012 is the end of the world. It merely says that one of it's cycles ends in 2012. Another cycle begins at the same moment.

THE MATRIX

WTF? The world's not ending?

WTH am I supposed to do with 6 pallets of canned ham, Yohoo, and pork and beans, and the stack of Playboys that are in my homemade bomb shelter now?

Edited by wolfram&hart12345

Siara

WTF? The world's not ending?

All evidence to the contrary...

UtahRaptor

WOW! People still think about the "end of the world"? Thats REALLY funny. OK lets try something new out, its called logic......

Lets look at the reality of all of this. You see, humans can only read the first part of the sentence and totally ignor that the second part even exists. The world is going to end AS WE KNOW IT!!!!!! Did you see the second part of that? "AS WE KNOW IT!!!!!!" Acording to these frightened rejects the world has ended 3 times already in my lifetime; 1988, January 1st 2000, and May 5th 2000. 2012 will make the 4th time "the world will end".

What no one really thinks about or knows is that the Mayans were a cosmolgical civilization. Their lives revolved around cosmological events. Agreed, yes, their callendar end Dec 21st, 2012 at precicely 11:11am. But guess what happens after that? The callendar restarts the NEXT CYCLE!!!!! If your going to spout out some crap, do some actual research instead of continueing the retardation!!!

Here is another little interesting fact: The planet has been through worse, much worse that just some coronal mass ejections. The stellar cycles has been ongoing since the solar system's birth. The stellar cycle in question completes every 11 years. And if infact this stellar cycle is a bit tough, the palnet isn't going any where, WE ARE!! Pack your crap folks, were going away......

You see the planet has gone through quite a few things worse than some coronal mass ejections. It's been through global earthquakes, global fires, global flooding, reoccuring ice ages, snowball Earth, the magnetic reversal of the poles, tectonic collisions, the circle of fire, supervolcanoes, mountain ranges being birthed, continental drift, getting smaked by the planetiod Theia, billions of years of bombardment from meteors, comets, and asterionds, and these simpleton freaks with weak electrochemical bonds think that some coronal mass ejections and a few solar storms are going to make the least bit of a difference? Give me a freaking break already! Do us all a favor and get freaking educated!!!

Yes true we are dangerously close to an ice age, and we have stellar cycle 24 peaking in March or May of 2013. And if it is true that stellar cycle 24 is projected to be worse than 1859 then we will just have to say goodbye to some satellites and electricity for a while. Like I said, the planet will be fine. The planet isn't going any where.... WE ARE!!! Pack you crap folks! Were going away!

In all reality the humans aren't really going any where. True electricity and technology die for a little while, what the big loss? Computers? HA!! So what! Some rich unstable mutations will just commit suicide for loosing everything in the stock market. I personally think that it would be hillarious!! Well, we would have to worry about the scavengers and raiders wondering the landscape in search of truth and fun. Another thing we would have to worry about is all the inmates in jail flooding the streets and looking for a good time. And on top of that, the crazy folk from nut houses will all be wondering around looking for a little fun. Yup all of our friends that have been away in the jails and nut houses of the planet will all come home...... The police and the military won't help anyone. They will all be protecting their own families.

This is all just a minor risk! I say enjoy it!!! You need a little danger in your life! You now there is such a thing as dangerous fun!! You need a little amusement and danger in your life!! It keeps you on your toes! I see our more amuseing citizens flooding the countryside and causing chaos as entertainment. Thats all it is, entertainment! So have a good time, enjoy it, and have a little fun!

fish13

The Mayan calendar does not say 2012 is the end of the world. It merely says that one of it's cycles ends in 2012. Another cycle begins at the same moment.

The Mayan CalendarThe Mayan Calendar is something profoundly different than just a system to mark off the passage of time. The Mayan Calendar is above all a prophetic calendar that may help us understand the past and foresee the future. It is a calendar of the Ages that describes how the progression of Heavens and Underworlds condition the human consciousness and thus the frames for our thoughts and actions within a given Age.

The Mayan Calendar is not predicting the end of the world 2012, but the start of a new era.

fish13

well its not all about a cycle . but what change will come due to 5th phase.

fish13

"The Hopi and Mayan elders do not prophesy that everything will come to an end. Rather, this is a time of transition from one World Age into another. The message they give concerns our making a choice of how we enter the future ahead. Our moving through with either resistance or acceptance will determine whether the transition will happen with cataclysmic changes or gradual peace and tranquility. The same theme can be found reflected in the prophecies of many other Native American visionaries from Black Elk to Sun Bear." - Joseph Robert Jochmans

fish13

The Mayans knew that our Sunsynchronized with the enormous central galaxy. And from this central galaxy received a 'spark' of light which causes the Sun to shine more intensely producing what our scientists call 'solar flares' as well as changes in the Sun's magnetic field. The Mayans say that this happens every 5,125 years. But also that this causes a displacement in the earths rotation, and because of this movement great catastrophes would be produced.