Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New stem cell treatment could cure blindness

UM-Bot

Posted (IP: Staff) ·
Trials could soon begin of a controversial new treatment using stem cells to treat a form of incurable blindness, if a license is granted the science team behind the research could begin human trials as early as next year.

"People suffering from a form of incurable blindness could soon become the first patients in the world to benefit from a new and controversial transplant operation using stem cells derived from spare human embryos left over from IVF treatment."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Independent

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• heinrich1858

• jbondo

Top Posters In This Topic

In recent years medical science has made great advances in such areas. Most notably hearing. One thing I noticed though is many people that get the hearing surgery done where they implant a device behind the ear end up turning it off because the world is too noisy to them. I wonder if some blind people would find it impossible to adapt to being sighted? I'd think not. Of course I am speaking strictly of losing the senses early in life or never having them at all.

Well if the Extremist religious peopel and Bush did'nt hold back research on stem cells . :no: Just think where it could have been today. I say shame on these people to hold back progress. And great for the scientist involved in this discovery. :yes: