Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Face Transplants Within A Year ?

News-Bot

Posted By Saruman on Thursday, November 28 2002

Subject: Face Transplants Within A Year ?

Face transplants will be technically possible within six to nine months - now the public must decide whether the procedure is ethically acceptable, says a leading UK plastic surgeon.

The issue will be debated during a meeting of the British Association of Plastic Surgeons starting on Wednesday. Peter Butler of the Royal Free Hospital in London will argue that face transplantation will be the only effective way of treating some severely disfigured patients, such as those who have suffered extensive burns or facial cancer.

But his own survey of 120 people including nurses and doctors revealed that while some would be willing to receive a face transplant, none would be prepared to donate their own face. Butler hopes that if full details of the procedure and its medical need are made clear, potential donors might be able to overcome their initial revulsion.

Click Here To Read The Complete Article......

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kira

• Saru

• SpaceyKC

• Halo_Jones

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a good discovery for disfigured people, but WOW!

does anyone remember the movie 'FACE/OFF'?

Ooohhh too Weird!

Just imagine if the patient bumps into the relatives of the Doner!!!!!!!

Certainly a beneficial discovery all round - but it would be very strange having someone else's face.

They'll be doing head transplants next. :s4

Hmmmm actually hearing him talk about it is fascinating...... he has been on a few programes over here.

Yeap I remember FACE/OFF ooohh now that would be scarey.....

By the way if they do head transplants I have a few people that I could volunteer :s2

Celti, thats not true - as soon as they perfect head transplants i'll probably get one once a week, every saturday morning to avoid the obligatory hangover :)

:s2 :s2 :s2 :s2 @ PS.