Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twilight

UltraThunderMan

LOL.

Heck, it's not lust, it's the freaking munchies.

Nibs

:w00t: ROTFLMAO :rofl:

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• Queen in the North

• Rosewin

• Drago

Everywhere I look nowadays, I see Twilight this or Twilight that. If it isn't that it's some new show with vampires everywhere in it. I read the first Twilight book and it was like something a high school kid read, an average one at that. I realize I'm not the target audience, but these books are a massively popular. To you who like the books or the movies or whatever, why do you like them? What makes this series so great? I would really like to know because I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Personally I am not impressed with either the books or the movies. They are not my particular style... I am sure that others would disagree since this is all about personal taste.

Every now and then a bit of media becomes the obsession of a set of people. We had Harry Potter and now we have Twilight. I think HP was a lot more interesting to be honest, but this is all about personal taste so there is no way to simply say one is good and the other is not.

• 5 weeks later...

You know what would have improved Twilight? Lolcats and Hugh Jackman. In fact, they should recast the film with Lolcats and Hugh Jackman.

I read the first page of this thread and the last page, but I don't need to read anymore to know that this was the best post. :P

Anyway, my biggest beef with Twilight (aside from it turning vampires and werewolves into wimpy little girls) is that people actually consider it literature. There are girls/women who will consider this the best book/series ever written. That hurts and makes me want to cry for all the other poor, neglected books.

I read the first page of this thread and the last page, but I don't need to read anymore to know that this was the best post. :P

Anyway, my biggest beef with Twilight (aside from it turning vampires and werewolves into wimpy little girls) is that people actually consider it literature. There are girls/women who will consider this the best book/series ever written. That hurts and makes me want to cry for all the other poor, neglected books.

20 reasons Twilight is bad for girls -

1. If a boy is aloof, stand-offish, ignores you or is just plain rude, it is because he is secretly in love with you — and you are the point of his existence.

2. Secrets are good — especially life-threatening ones.

3. It’s OK for a potential romantic interest to be dimwitted, violent and vengeful — as long as he has great abs.

4. If a boy tells you to stay away from him because he is dangerous and may even kill you, he must be the love of your life. You should stay with him since he will keep you safe forever.

5. If a boy leaves you, especially suddenly (while telling you he will never see you again), it is because he loves you so much he will suffer just to keep you safe.

6. When a boy leaves you, going into shock, losing all your friends and enduring night terrors are completely acceptable occurrences — as long as you keep your grades up.

7. It is extremely romantic to put yourself in dangerous situations in order to see your ex-boyfriend again. It’s even more romantic to remember the sound of his voice when he yelled at you.

8. Boys who leave you always come back.

9. Because they come back, you should hold out, waiting for them for months, even when completely acceptable and less-abusive alternative males present themselves.

10. Even though you have no intention of dating an alternative male who expresses interest in you, it is fine to string the young man along for months. Also, you should use him to fix things for you. Maybe he’ll even buy you something.

11. You should use said male to fix things because girls are incapable of anything mechanical or technical.

12. Lying to your parents is fine. Lying to your parents while you run away to save your suicidal boyfriend is an extremely good idea that shows your strength and maturity. Also, it is what you must do.

13. Car theft in the service of love is acceptable.

14. If the boy you are in love with causes you (even indirectly) to be so badly beaten you end up in the hospital, you should tell the doctors and your family that you “fell down the steps” because you are such a silly, clumsy girl. That false explanation always works well for abused women.

15. Men can be changed for the better if you sacrifice everything you are and devote yourself to their need for change.

16. Young women should make no effort to improve their social skills or emotional state. Instead, they should seek out potential mates that share their morose deficiencies and emotional illnesses.

17. Girls shouldn’t always read a book series just because everyone else has.

18. When writing a book series, it’s acceptable to lift seminal source material and bastardize it with tired, overwrought teenage angst.

19. When making or watching a major feature film, you should gleefully embrace the 20 minutes of plot it provides in between extended segments of vacant-eyed silence and self-indulgent, moaning banter.

20. Vampires — once among the great villains of literature and motion pictures — are no longer scary. In fact, they’re every bit as whiny, self-absorbed and impotent as any human being

I could go on all day about how bad Twilight is, not just the writing either.

Nibs

lol, I think the twilight books are fun drivel. I like to read some fluff sometimes. Makes for good bathtub reading along with smut novels, dime store mysteries, short story collections, John Saul horror.. And lol, another twilight series, that one a collection of all sorts of various occult hi jinx mixed with young love. I figure if they get destroyed wet, isn't so much of a loss. And hey, I like mindless reading while in the tub. I got other places that I prefer to do other types of reading too :)

As a side note.. I don't like the movies, I kind of find them creepy. But I do sort of wonder how they are gonna film the birth and conversion scenes. It has to keep a nice PG-13 rating ya know.

20 reasons Twilight is bad for girls -

1. If a boy is aloof, stand-offish, ignores you or is just plain rude, it is because he is secretly in love with you — and you are the point of his existence.

2. Secrets are good — especially life-threatening ones.

3. It’s OK for a potential romantic interest to be dimwitted, violent and vengeful — as long as he has great abs.

4. If a boy tells you to stay away from him because he is dangerous and may even kill you, he must be the love of your life. You should stay with him since he will keep you safe forever.

5. If a boy leaves you, especially suddenly (while telling you he will never see you again), it is because he loves you so much he will suffer just to keep you safe.

6. When a boy leaves you, going into shock, losing all your friends and enduring night terrors are completely acceptable occurrences — as long as you keep your grades up.

7. It is extremely romantic to put yourself in dangerous situations in order to see your ex-boyfriend again. It’s even more romantic to remember the sound of his voice when he yelled at you.

8. Boys who leave you always come back.

9. Because they come back, you should hold out, waiting for them for months, even when completely acceptable and less-abusive alternative males present themselves.

10. Even though you have no intention of dating an alternative male who expresses interest in you, it is fine to string the young man along for months. Also, you should use him to fix things for you. Maybe he’ll even buy you something.

11. You should use said male to fix things because girls are incapable of anything mechanical or technical.

12. Lying to your parents is fine. Lying to your parents while you run away to save your suicidal boyfriend is an extremely good idea that shows your strength and maturity. Also, it is what you must do.

13. Car theft in the service of love is acceptable.

14. If the boy you are in love with causes you (even indirectly) to be so badly beaten you end up in the hospital, you should tell the doctors and your family that you “fell down the steps” because you are such a silly, clumsy girl. That false explanation always works well for abused women.

15. Men can be changed for the better if you sacrifice everything you are and devote yourself to their need for change.

16. Young women should make no effort to improve their social skills or emotional state. Instead, they should seek out potential mates that share their morose deficiencies and emotional illnesses.

17. Girls shouldn’t always read a book series just because everyone else has.

18. When writing a book series, it’s acceptable to lift seminal source material and bastardize it with tired, overwrought teenage angst.

19. When making or watching a major feature film, you should gleefully embrace the 20 minutes of plot it provides in between extended segments of vacant-eyed silence and self-indulgent, moaning banter.

20. Vampires — once among the great villains of literature and motion pictures — are no longer scary. In fact, they’re every bit as whiny, self-absorbed and impotent as any human being

I could go on all day about how bad Twilight is, not just the writing either.

Nibs

LOL.

But, being entirely honest here : Most of those things could apply to any set of characters in pop culture. Apply them to Lois Lane and Superman and many of them still work...

lol, I think the twilight books are fun drivel. I like to read some fluff sometimes. Makes for good bathtub reading along with smut novels, dime store mysteries, short story collections, John Saul horror.. And lol, another twilight series, that one a collection of all sorts of various occult hi jinx mixed with young love. I figure if they get destroyed wet, isn't so much of a loss. And hey, I like mindless reading while in the tub. I got other places that I prefer to do other types of reading too :)

As a side note.. I don't like the movies, I kind of find them creepy. But I do sort of wonder how they are gonna film the birth and conversion scenes. It has to keep a nice PG-13 rating ya know.

I do wonder about that... The books become more and more adult as you go along, the original Twilight was something you wouldn't really object to a pre-teen reading - but personally I think Breaking Dawn is a little too adult for the audience it is aimed at!

I do wonder about that... The books become more and more adult as you go along, the original Twilight was something you wouldn't really object to a pre-teen reading - but personally I think Breaking Dawn is a little too adult for the audience it is aimed at!

I haven't read any, but I have read an overview (aimed at making fun of them) of the plots on each book, and some scenes sounded rather...weird? From what I remember, I don't now how they'll manage to make it cute and frilly for the 12 year olds either.

She wakes up with bruises and a pillow torn up after they seal the deal on the honeymoon no? The giving birth scene sounded rather unpleasant from what I can recall as well. She vomits blood, they hear her spine break, Edward bites open her uterus? Then because Jacob helps with the birth or something he realizes he and the baby are "soulmates" and they're supposed to be together when it grows up? Correct any of that if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember reading about it. Now, that's pretty effed up.

I don't get it either. Even as a teen I would not have enjoyed these angst ridden little romps. I admit I suffered through one of the books, it was a gift. I kept reading it waiting for something to happen besides Bella's neediness. I kept thinking geez, will she hurry up and die already. And, I have watched a couple of the movies thinking maybe someone had found a way take a poorly written, boring and nauseating storyline and make it palatable. I was wrong.

I think the books do a great disservice to young girls in our society. They only serve to teach them that they are nothing without the love of guy, even if he is dead. Nothing about being strong and accomplished, instead always waiting for something to happen to them instead of making things happen on their own. Or, worst yet, that it is acceptable to embrace dangerous self destructive behavior because your boyfriend dissed you. As for the "mature" ladies who love this stuff, I can't even imagine. But I am guessing that they watch Bridezillas and Jerry Springer.

• 4 months later...

Everywhere I look nowadays, I see Twilight this or Twilight that. If it isn't that it's some new show with vampires everywhere in it. I read the first Twilight book and it was like something a high school kid read, an average one at that. I realize I'm not the target audience, but these books are a massively popular. To you who like the books or the movies or whatever, why do you like them? What makes this series so great? I would really like to know because I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Well for me, I seen the first 2 movies, which were ok as far as movies of that genre go. So I picked up the 3rd and 4th book. I read them both and really enjoyed them. I read around half ofthe 1st book after this and noticed major differences in the books as with compared to the movies.

For example:

- the 3rd book: The fight scenes are a lot better as with compared to the movie.

IMO mate, read the book series through, bare with the first 2 as they might be a bit slow. The 3rd and 4th are great though. Bare in mind it is a romance based novel with obviously the supernatural thrown in there too. Not a bad combo. Read it first and then you can judge it. :tu: