Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Father Christmas 'buried in Ireland'

Still Waters

The remains of St Nicholas, the man who inspired Father Christmas, are buried at Jerpoint Abbey in County Kilkenny, Ireland, historians believe.

Experts claim that the philanthropist St Nicholas of Myra is entombed at the 12th century abbey after his body was moved there 800 years ago.

The saint, revered for his extraordinary generosity, lived during the 4th century and was Bishop of Lycia in what is now Turkey.

Due to his habit for leaving anonymous gifts for the poor, he was declared a saint soon after his death in 346, and inspired the legend of Father Christmas.

The bishop was buried in the cathedral church in Myra, which became a pilgrimage site, but Irish historians claim the early crusaders brought his remains back to Jerpoint Abbey.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Emma_Acid

• www375

• Still Waters

Personally, I KNOW he's alive, and well, and living at my neighborhood Wal-Mart! :innocent:

Personally, I KNOW he's alive, and well, and living at my neighborhood Wal-Mart! :innocent:

And charge parents a price to get their kids picture taken with Santa while they ask what they want for Christmas. :P

Don't the French he's in Ireland, they believe the hand of the saint, the "blessing" hand is in Saint Nicolas de Port, in Lorraine, she was brought there in 1090, before the first crusade.. so if the skeleton is in Ireland has only one hand, this is it... ;)

Edited by Paracelse

Ok guys, the full story: St.Nick died in Myra,where his remains stayed for a long time. The skeleton was stolen by sailors from Bari in 1087,who took most of it home(part of the jaw still is in Myra). Though small p[arts of the skeleton have been given as presents to other congregations as relics,the Bari skeleton remains mostly intact.

My point? That those who talk to imaginary friends have some strange customs....

Historians may be right! It's still very cloudy what the crusaders took away from Constantinople and the Holy Lands. Many relics that are documented to have been present were looted by the crusaders, but there are still no traces left by any of the relics.

• 2 weeks later...
laugh.gifBoy does Ireland have a lot of saints.(HELLO) Wonder if it because they have so many Catholics in their country laugh.gif

Historians may be right! It's still very cloudy what the crusaders took away from Constantinople and the Holy Lands. Many relics that are documented to have been present were looted by the crusaders, but there are still no traces left by any of the relics.

There was also a big trade in relics during the Crusades, so many frauds were produced by people wanting to cash in.

Lapiche