Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dancing Star In Night Sky

perplexedstargazer

I saw something similar in Arizona about twenty years ago with some amateur astronomers. I was by myself taking photos of galaxies and saw a dot high in the sky slowly flying in a straight line. It was going roughly north-south so I figured it was a satellite. Then it stopped, and was motionless against the stars for several seconds. Like a dope I stood there staring at it as it started travelling the other direction. It was just a dot so it could have been any flying thing so I didn't initially think flying saucer. Drones had just been used in the Gulf War so I figured it was a drone or something like it.

And why didn't I use the powerful telescope to take a photo of it? I had just started a several minute exposure with it and didn't want to waste the shot (this was in the days of film). In fact I was more concerned that it would fly over and ruin the photo I was taking. It would have been next to impossible to find the thing with the 600X telescope and the long exposure for the slow film would have made it a blur anyway.

None of the other guys had seen anything but they were taking photos in the other direction.

• 7 months later...

Tonight, April 1, 2014 at 10:30pm on Vancouver Island, I witnessed a "dancing star" that was in the southeast sky. I noticed it immediately as it was very bright, yellow, and it flickered red light. It also moved, erratically--up, down, side to side, in circles, and zig zags--and then it would be still again, for a while, and then move again, and this happened repeatedly, and randomly. With binoculars, it appeared to be flashing red light in a ring.

At first I thought it to be a trick of the eye or the atmosphere, but I have seen many of these "stars" since 2010. They appear to be like any other star, though particularly bright, and often flash colours, such as, red, blue, and sometimes green. When they move, it is within a radius about the size of a full moon, yet they are also still for long periods of time. I have asked other people to witness and confirm what they have seen when they look at the same thing, and their responses have been as follows: That star is moving! Why is it doing that? That's not a plane. That's not a satellite. What is that? Look! There's another one.

Edited by skysprite
  • Like 1

RC craft. and/or April 1.

• I have just witnessed a dancing star in the sky in Dundee, Scotland. I am still shocked and just joined this site to post in the hope that there is an explanation. The star shot across the sky, stopped, zig zagged, dropped up and down then shot back the other way. I have never seen anything like this. The whole thing lasted around 2 minutes and covered an uncomprehendable distance in such little time. I have seen shooting stars in the past but this was not a shooting star, I really dont know what I have just seen.

A cousin and I witnessed something similar years ago, but I doubt it was a star given the fact that it sounded like it had an engine. It was very impressive and beautiful in a sense. I just wish I would've recorded it, but at that moment I was frozen in disbelief that I didn't bother looking for the video camera close by.

Edited by Laurent

This is a very old thread.....But, since a few posted recently....

With the thousands upon thousands of amatuer astronomers staring at the skies on a nightly basis, why have none reported this?

• Like 1

And it's not just all those amateur astroheads (of which I am one, and within 10km of me are at least 3 others including one with a killer observatory that he just loves to show off to anyone who asks..) - there are lots of continuously recording nightsky webcams out there... You could start with these:

http://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/

http://www.itelescop...all-sky-cameras

The folks with serious equipment and serious skills are simply not finding them. So, either those hundreds of thousands of folks are incredibly unlucky or deliberately withholding the information, or these 'things' somehow know where they mustn't go (given these cameras often cover 180 degrees of sky, that's pretty hard to imagine..), or ...

With the thousands upon thousands of amatuer astronomers staring at the skies on a nightly basis, why have none reported this?

Yeah, I`ve taken thousands of pics with long time exposure during falling star hunting and I never recorded a "dancing star".

In one trial a had one star that popped up one time in a row of 200 pics and that was the only extraordinary case that I was

faced with.

I think "dancing stars" are a temporary woo-woo fashion that will be replaced this summer be "flying bigfoot" followed by

"triangular orbs" in autumn and with "noisy crop circles" around xmas/new year.

I think "dancing stars" are a temporary woo-woo fashion...

To be fair, quite apart from RC craft, there are a number of visual and psychological effects, illusions and simple misremembering that could cause 'dancing stars' - pbyhistorian gave a good example here a page back..

• Like 1

I think "dancing stars" are a temporary woo-woo fashion

Temporary? This was posted in 2009, I saw them years before this thread.

Temporary? This was posted in 2009, I saw them years before this thread.

It loops on an annual basis!

We see these almost every night where we live. I get the involuntary eye movement thing. But while other starts are staying "still" while I look at them, these guys are very different. Much larger, more conspicuous and flashing/strobing lights red/blue/white. Sometimes these craft move quite a distance. We tracked one moving erratic in a big arc across a piece of the eastern sky. They will rise way up, bounce around a little and sink down again.

A camera costing less than US$150 (if well chosen) would easily suffice to record these. If anyone needs recommendations, let me know, but surely most people would *know* someone who is into photography who could help?

I'll be happy to help anyone with details on how to go about the process - it isn't rocket science and you don't even need a tripod. (Although I might suggest a big lump of BluTack..)

And again, tell us why you think all the serious astronomers (and there are hundreds of thousands of them..) are not seeing these phenomena?

• Like 1

I would say around 2008 or 2009, my brother called me one night and told me to look at the stars around the moon and see if I see anything unusual. I looked west and upward and there was the moon with a few stars scattered around and to my surprise there was one star that was constantly moving side to side. I watched it for a long time and then called my brother back to see how long he had seen this star doing this. He said he noticed it about 30 min. before calling. I'm not sure what would make a star move like that but perhaps maybe it was something in the atmosphere as the moon did appear a bit yellowish.

Geosynchronous satellite? Air currents? Planes (as they turn, sunlight below the horizon will reflect off their wings)? Non-geosynchonous satellites (sunlight will reflect off them as they spin)? Weather balloons? Weather related phenonmena, like lightning? How about those huge spotlights used at certain car dealerships that project way up into the sky?

I remember once our local TV station let us know the space shuttle would be coming in to land in Florida and would pass right over our area that night. So 4am saw me locking up our store and standing out in the street. The shuttle came over as planned and was that something! This was in the Bay Area in California and by the time I had unlocked the store and gotten back inside, the radio announced it was already landing. Thrill of a lifetime!

But I wonder how many people saw it and thought a space ship had landed on earth.

• 6 months later...

Hi there, i live in norteast Georgia and for the past 3 months my son and I have been watching this brightly light star in the norteast sky. It has many colors and looks like any other star ,except it is brighter. When i first saw it dance in the sky i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.I went inside 2 days later when i spotted it again and got my son to come out and looked at it, to see if he would see it move also. Well it danced and gave off a light show like no other star in the sky. So now with 1 witness i knew i needed more. I went and got my folks about 1 month later on a late September clear sky to see if they would see it move. Yup, they confirmed it did the same as what i saw. Hey i don`t know what it is, a star or whatever but no other star behaves like it. So for my own opinion i `ll rack it up as a UFO. ??? I still wonder if anyone else sees it at night or just us ? But it really doesn`t matter. Maybe were suppose to see it and other just pawn it off as whatever they want.

• 3 months later...

Several years back in 05 or 06 late one night about 1 a.m. while I was having a smoke, I was looking up at the stars and saw a star that starting darting around in the sky. It appeared to be zigzagging. Thinking I was seeing things, I went and got my girlfriend to look up in the direction I was seeing this star. I asked her if she seen anything weird. She said," Omg that star is darting around." Glad to hear someone else has seen this same occurrence. I would like to hear the explanation. I saw this star in north Alabama.

Edited by trebek
  • Like 1

dancing star explains it nicely. I live in a very rural area of upstate NY. I too have seen this. Just a star looks like all the others just bouncing around. Not moving across the sky but bouncing. The eye explanation sounds solid but doesn't float as after walking away, and looking across the sky what I believe to be the same star still dancing. If it was eye muscles and light issues I would think if i moved from front yard to back yard would see the same thing with another star but that wasn't the case. I've noticed it on a few occasions. Always figured it was crazy.

Edited by pokingjoker
  • Like 1

Please read the contents of at least this page, including the references to explain why stars can appear to 'dance'...

Then, please go find your nearest astronomers, and find one who is using an all-night all-sky webcam - they are quite common. There's every probability there will be one within 25-50 km of you, and of course that webcam will show squiggles if what you are claiming was a real phenomena. But no amateur astronomer, of the millions who are out there each night, is seeing or recording this. Go check astronomy forums, or ring your local astronomy club.

Now either all these folks are incompetent, or being paid by the ebil gubmint to cover this amazing happening up, OR.....

.. like I said, read back and consider the explanations. If you think they are insufficient, then please document your dancing star. You may need a half-decent camera, but nowadays such cameras are quite cheap - I'll be happy to recommend several good ones if you tell me your budget...

• 10 months later...

I came across this web site by chance and was happy to see others have seen the dancing star, She still dances to this day. I am in Kentucky and she usually starts out in the southwest working her way to the west. I call her Tiny Dancer and she is fun to watch. On a clear night when all the stars come out, she is easy to spot. This star is the only one I have seen that likes to put on a show.

"shedancesonaclearnite"

• Like 1

I came across this web site by chance and was happy to see others have seen the dancing star, She still dances to this day. I am in Kentucky and she usually starts out in the southwest working her way to the west. I call her Tiny Dancer and she is fun to watch. On a clear night when all the stars come out, she is easy to spot. This star is the only one I have seen that likes to put on a show.

"shedancesonaclearnite"

Do you have a Video Camera?

"shedancesonaclearnite"

Take a video or determine the stars coordinates so we could check it out.

I first posted in this thread, back in 2012. Update for 2015: I still see that "dancing star", but not every night, like before, but, it

will stick around for a few weeks, then nothing for a couple of months, then, there they are again!!! I think it's pretty neat!!! :)

• Like 1

I think the only thing in common about the sightings here is the complete lack of evidence, and no information about even what direction it is and what other stars are visible for comparison.

It seems the only people who ever see this star are those who have not got a decent camera, nor do they have any friends with decent camera, nor do they have enough knowledge of the night sky to identify where the alleged star is. There's no shame in any of that (well, maybe a little in not knowing the night sky..), but it does point to a lack of experience in night time observing.

Even a medium quality camera (sub $200) could capture this, and I would be happy to help explain exactly what you would need to do.

But I'm guessing it won't happen - call me a pessimist.

Love to be proven wrong, though.

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems not even one of these 'observers' is willing to take the time to tell us date/time/direction/elevation (or ask how to do that - it's easy), let alone to seek out a half-decent camera or someone who owns one and knows how to use it...

I'd be very happy to politely and patiently explain how to document the sighting, even how to find north from their location and how to measures degrees above the horizon, all without any expense whatsoever..

But no. So it was worth posting here, but not worth any more of their time..... Make of that what you will.

Even at the most basic level, I find it kinda sad that many people don't know any of the stars in the night sky, how they vary according to time and season, the constellations, how the planets move through the firmament... Whatever happened to actually going outdoors - is everyone Face Down in Face Book? Gotta do more of those selfies I guess - what better way to spend your life.....

</rant>

• Like 1

• The topic was locked