Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dancing Star In Night Sky

perplexedstargazer

I do remember seeing something similar to this around the same time 2007-2008 maybe in the Fall but I can't pin a specific date where a star, just one star, which was right under the moon was wobbling rhythmically sideways. I didn't notice any other stars affected nor the moon and it was a clear cold night but I took it to just be an atmospheric phenomenon although strange. The reason this stands out in my memory was that my brother called me just as I had noticed it myself and I was standing out there freezing in a t-shirt watching it. The moon, itself was in the southwestern quadrant of the sky and I believe it had to have been about anywhere from 8 to 11 pm CST about 70 degrees above the horizon. Keep in mind memories can be faulty but that's as best as I can remember it.

Mantis 914 - kudos to you for having a go at describing your sighting better than anyone so far... Are you pretty sure it was Fall?.. and I'm guessing this was somewhere in Texas (or have I made a bad assumption from your 'Lone Star State' (how ironic!) location?).

The season (it would be great to narrow it down to a month..) is important, as the starry firmament above moves an awful lot throughout the course of a year. Anyway, I don't have time right now, but later I'll be back and show you some images of the Texan night sky at that time, and see if we can identify any nearby stars or candidates.

In the meantime, a pile of questions for you.. regard to the 'wobbling rhythmically',. at what rate? Was it very regular, and did you see any other particularly bright stars nearby? Did you try looking at other stars, or did you just focus on that one? Do you have high/low blood pressure, or diabetes or any other problems that might affect your balance or eyesight?

Was it white or was there a tinge of colour? Is it possible that it was 'scintillating', ie throbbing in intensity, rather than actually wobbling? Did you notice any passing aircraft, and were/are you near an airport?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, but you can probably guess why I ask some of them.. The others I'll explain later.

Be back later with some images....

• Like 1

Mantis 914 - kudos to you for having a go at describing your sighting better than anyone so far... Are you pretty sure it was Fall?.. and I'm guessing this was somewhere in Texas (or have I made a bad assumption from your 'Lone Star State' (how ironic!) location?).

The season (it would be great to narrow it down to a month..) is important, as the starry firmament above moves an awful lot throughout the course of a year. Anyway, I don't have time right now, but later I'll be back and show you some images of the Texan night sky at that time, and see if we can identify any nearby stars or candidates.

In the meantime, a pile of questions for you.. regard to the 'wobbling rhythmically',. at what rate? Was it very regular, and did you see any other particularly bright stars nearby? Did you try looking at other stars, or did you just focus on that one? Do you have high/low blood pressure, or diabetes or any other problems that might affect your balance or eyesight?

Was it white or was there a tinge of colour? Is it possible that it was 'scintillating', ie throbbing in intensity, rather than actually wobbling? Did you notice any passing aircraft, and were/are you near an airport?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, but you can probably guess why I ask some of them.. The others I'll explain later.

Be back later with some images....

ChrLzs, you are quite correct in your assumptions! Yes, from Texas and as best as I can remember I want to say it was late Fall or early Winter because it was cold. I remember seeing my breath in the cold as I was looking at the spectacle.

The best that I can describe the wobbling effect that it had was maybe like a heartbeat in tempo, maybe a little faster than resting heart rate. I only witnessed this once that one night and there was one other bright star nearby however it was just twinkling and a much dimmer star also which was also stationary. None of the others around were moving and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the moon either other than it was bright and it may have been a full or near full moon.

I do have diabetes but at that time I had it more under control than lately. I always have glasses on and did then too so it was pretty clear to me.

It did have a slight yellow tint to the star and if I had to say about the wobbling, it almost seemed like it was rotating almost or kind of like the motion that a cowboy makes jumping back and forth through a lasso. Didn't see any passing aircraft even though I live in the metroplex and there is constant air traffic all over here even though I'm far from the airport.

I don't mind answering questions, ask away. I'll just try to answer the best as I can remember. :tu:

Very busy right now, will be back later to post some pics, and I'll also explain some possibilities for the 'wobble'..

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi. My wife and I see these 'dancers' often, here in Sierra Vista, Arizona. We first articulated to each other about seeing them about 3+ years ago... They often appear at the same areas of the sky. there is (at least) one about due South, There are usually two or three, dimmer, to the North, and one to the Northwest. We speculate that they are possibly attached to nearby Ft Huachuca perhaps. But they are not any publicly acknowledged device, and seem rather alien perhaps.

• Like 1

I will add to my prior post that there is a ton of drone training and testing which goes on in our area, and it is apparent that they fly those things all over civilian air space, at least in this neck of the woods. 

But here is a youtube video with an EXACT MATCH for what we see here, and I believe it matches the OP and others reporting here. The video is a compilation of various anomalous flying objects, but the one that is relevant is the last one, shot in Quebec, and beginning at 15:14.  I hope you all will check this out and follow up by watching for these things. They are out there!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, madhatmike said:

.... but the one that is relevant is the last one, shot in Quebec, and beginning at 15:14. 

Its a star or planet filmed zoomed in/out and out of focus and focused well at 16:05. So there is nothing extraordinary at all.

They are out there!

Yeah, there are stars and planets out there. Indeed.

• Like 4

Whatever, Toast. Blow it off if you like. What you describe above is not what we see. As stated by others, these are individuals among many that behave in a singular fashion, and your attemp[ts at explaining them away are insufficient. Maybe we are all blind, stupid, or mad, and your skeptical self knows best. But that's a fantasy you're having, it does not reflect reality. Cheers.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, madhatmike said:

Whatever, Toast. Blow it off if you like. What you describe above is not what we see. As stated by others, these are individuals among many that behave in a singular fashion, and your attemp[ts at explaining them away are insufficient. Maybe we are all blind, stupid, or mad, and your skeptical self knows best. But that's a fantasy you're having, it does not reflect reality. Cheers.

"We"?  What, you and the voices in your head?

What I'm reading is that you have a bias you want confirmed, and damn anything and anyone that shows your claims to be false.  The fantasy is your's and your's alone.  Just because Toast posted something that you don't agree with, AND is based on common sense, doesn't mean you have to continue to have a closed mind and attack him for using critical thinking.

BTW, check the last post date before  necro'ing a dead thread.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, madhatmike said:

There is nothing to blow off anyway and if you like you can join a discussion with me about astrological photography, filming of planets/Moons and deep sky imaging procedures and technology. Of course, some are blind, stupid or mad but I dont include myself into that bunch which is the same bunch of ppl who are often in the opinion that their own fantasy, and funny interpretations of common effects/events, is the reality. And, my post wasnt an insufficient attempt, it was a concluding evaluation of the scene shown in the vid and there is no room for any further discussion anymore.

• Like 1

Here's where you guys are wrong, toast, Thorvir, and ChrLzs.... I'm not posting to argue about what I saw, or to prove the reality of what I saw. I'm here because of similar experiences others have had, and you guys are making strawman arguments and similar fallacies as if to debunk us. You know where you can stick that stuff. You can name call all you want, it tells us more about you than about anybody else.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, madhatmike said:

Here's where you guys are wrong, toast, Thorvir, and ChrLzs.... I'm not posting to argue about what I saw, or to prove the reality of what I saw. I'm here because of similar experiences others have had, and you guys are making strawman arguments and similar fallacies as if to debunk us. You know where you can stick that stuff. You can name call all you want, it tells us more about you than about anybody else.

You should probably look up the definitions of those terms before using them again.  And show us where we "name called" or whatever, please, because I'm honestly interested in learning more about you, because so far, based on your closed-mindedness, your instant attacks because someone dared to question you...it's not looking so good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madhatmike said:

Whatever, Toast. Blow it off if you like. What you describe above is not what we see.

But it IS what was in the video.  And you told us it was *exactly* what you saw with your eye.  So you sorta backed yourself into a corner right there.  Changing the goal posts as necessary, I see...

As stated by others, these are individuals among many that behave in a singular fashion, and your attemp[ts at explaining them away are insufficient.

To date there is not a single shred of evidence to show what is being claimed, and yet recording such a thing would not be a problem, especially given you say it is common..  Thing is, there are literally 100's of THOUSANDS of amateur astronomers out there with sophisticated sky recording systems like all-sky/all-night web-/scope-cams.  Indeed, if you got off your backside and contacted your local astronomy club, they will happily show you who/what's in your area, and also how you could verify your claim.  These wobbly stars should be the big topic on astronomy forums.  Folks like them should be abuzz with this (and to a lesser extent me, who owns a good quality camera and tripod and who skywatches quite often), and yet we are silent.  Why do you think that is - a huge gubmint coverup?? hmm, where's my next cheque?

Hint... No.  It's because you are not seeing wobbly stars.  Maybe you are seeing something that looks like it (some options already discussed above), but frankly, I am disinterested in trying to help further when you have the attitude shown above, already know it is unexplainable... yet won't make an effort to record it or properly investigate it.  That's called a FAIL.

Bye.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 3

Thorvir, and other guys, I didn't come here to get in flame wars for flaming's sake, so never mind being the pots to my kettle. Do I want to buy scientific equipment so I can demonstrate to you what you could clearly see if  you'd but look? No thank you. There are plenty folk calling this out. You suggest the government is NOT rife with corruption and conspiracy? But you call ME delusional. Thanks, I'm done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madhatmike said:

Thorvir, and other guys, I didn't come here to get in flame wars for flaming's sake, so never mind being the pots to my kettle. Do I want to buy scientific equipment so I can demonstrate to you what you could clearly see if  you'd but look?

And NOBODY demanded that you do.  I suggested you go and talk to astronomy amateurs, of which you will be probably be surprised on just how many live near to you.  And many of the folks here (like ME) are *genuinely* out there and looking up, quite apart from those many, many amateur astroheads  - you know, the ones you COMPLETELY ignored in your reply - because you had no answer, and all you want is to push this silly claim.  NONE of us are seeing anything like what you describe - and this was pointed out way back in 2014, and nobody has commented.  That tells me something...

And what's more, you keep claiming how lots of folk are seeing this.  First up, you do know how many trolls and idle schoolkids just hang around and post rubbish?  Or how many genuinely do see a star wobble (or more likely, scintillate) for reasons that we have already described?

Now, you can just run for the hills... or would you like to point to what you think is the best described and evidenced example of a decent sighting?  You know, one where the person WAS prepared to try to record it (on their phone is fine, you don't have to have great equipment, just a bit of knowledge on how to use it, which we are happy to supply), or WAS prepared to contact their nearest astronomy club, or WAS prepared to properly consider the reasons we have given?.  Let's face it, the only reason you wouldn't do that is that you know what the result will be - an explanation of what you saw, and/or proof that such a thing cannot possibly be missed, given the huge amount of sky surveillance that goes on nowadays.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalalala" all you want, but those amateur astronomers are out there waiting to help and explain what you saw - if you are genuine.  The only reason the explanation will not suffice to you will be, I suspect, that you are exaggerating just a tad...

No thank you. There are plenty folk calling this out.

Like I said - point to the best evidenced, genuine enquiry and perhaps we can talk to them.  Did you not notice that the vast majority of posters to this thread posted once, and despite being politely given explanations and politely asked to provide more information or try to document it, they didn't bother to come back?  What does that tell you?  It tells me not to bother further, as they were either satisfied with the explanations, or never saw a similar thing again, or couldn't care less.

You suggest the government is NOT rife with corruption and conspiracy?

There's a bit of that.  Just as there is in private enterprise, and posters to forums, and society as a whole.  So... all you need to do is then look around for 'uncontaminated' sources, gee, like maybe astronomy clubs.  Or are you suggesting those guys/gals get paid to keep it quiet?  Love to hear how that works..

But you call ME delusional. Thanks, I'm done.

Don't let the door hit you..  And that term was ever used - but thanks anyway for demonstrating how you do exaggerate..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madhatmike said:

Thorvir, and other guys, I didn't come here to get in flame wars for flaming's sake, so never mind being the pots to my kettle.

Then don't take such offense and attack when someone merely disagrees with what you post.

• Like 2

I donty suppose there's any point in mentioning that I agree it looks exactly like a star (or planet) being filmed by poorly focused hand held camera ......   To the extent that I can see no reason to suppose it might be anything else.  

Unless it's a mutant star goat ..... :w00t:

• Like 2

I saw this tonight around the moon. I have video of this. Myself my husband and 3 friends all saw the same thing. A dancing star around the moon disapearing and reapearing again. So cool. I looked it up to see if anyone else has seen something like this. Aparently so......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Msh79 said:

I saw this tonight around the moon. I have video of this. Myself my husband and 3 friends all saw the same thing. A dancing star around the moon disapearing and reapearing again. So cool. I looked it up to see if anyone else has seen something like this. Aparently so......

Welcome to UM...  

Will you be putting the video up somewhere to see?

Well i want to it was capture with a 42 zoom sony video cam. It will take me longer than most to figure out how to get the video from there to here. A friend filmed it on fb live not as clear though.

2 minutes ago, Msh79 said:

Well i want to it was capture with a 42 zoom sony video cam. It will take me longer than most to figure out how to get the video from there to here. A friend filmed it on fb live not as clear though.

Sounds promising!  If you or someone has a youtube channel you could try that - it's reasonably easy.  The first step might be to try to divide the video into short segments - the best bits, hopefully showing the dancing but along with some fixed objects in the background (eg moon, other stars, treetops, buildings whatever).  But make sure you use a method that does not reduce the resolution/quality - you might need to find an interwebz/photography wizard to help - check with friends and family...  And please KEEP the original files on the original media, untouched - work on copies...

I also offer analysis and can provide an email address, but you might want to read this thread carefully and you will note that I am regarded here as a pretty 'terse'/harsh skeptic... so if that scares you, just post it on YT for everyone else! :D 

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎19 at 3:47 PM, Msh79 said:

Hmmm.   4 days hath passed..  Any progress, Msh79?  I'll be happy to help if you run into problems........................

• 1 month later...

That video that madhatmike posted totally nailed it at three different spots:  at 11:40, 16:03, and 17:38!!!  It's not caused by a "poorly focused handheld camera"!!!  Even though these "dancing stars" were caught on video, some of you still discredit it!!!  You are entitled to your own opinion!!  I'm just glad that someone was able to "capture" these things on video!!   I'm thinking also, that they got to be some kind of military or (?) drone!!!

29 minutes ago, archer95446 said:

That video that madhatmike posted totally nailed it at three different spots:  at 11:40, 16:03, and 17:38!!!  It's not caused by a "poorly focused handheld camera"!!!  Even though these "dancing stars" were caught on video, some of you still discredit it!!!  

None of the mentioned scenario marks is showing anything thats moving in the sky. If you think otherwise pls explain how you are able to detect a movement thats not related to the camera movement in a vid that only shows a star/planet in the sky but no reference point on the ground.  And, I will continue to "discredit" that there are no moving objects like "dancing stars" in the vid.

You are entitled to your own opinion!!  I'm just glad that someone was able to "capture" these things on video!!  

I`m entitled to facts only, not to any kind of wishful thinking.

• Like 1

Watch 11:40 until 15:04, that "star" or drone like thing is erratically moving all around up there in the sky!!!

• The topic was locked