Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Fatal

Your favorite paranormal-themed video games

62 posts in this topic

_Only

Penn and Tellers Smoke and Mirrors. The minigame Desert Bus.

Desert Bus is the best known minigame in the package, and was a featured part of Electronic Gaming Monthly's preview. The objective of the game is to drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada in real time at a maximum speed of 45mph. The feat requires 8 hours of continuous play to complete, since the game cannot be paused.

The bus contains no passengers, and there is no scenery or other traffic on the road. The bus veers to the right slightly; as a result, it is impossible to tape down a button to go do something else and have the game end properly. If the bus veers off the road it will stall and be towed back to Tucson, also in real time. If the player makes it to Las Vegas, they will score exactly one point. The player then gets the option to make the return trip to Tucson—for another point (a decision they must make in a few seconds or the game ends). Players may continue to make trips and score points as long as their endurance holds out. Some players who have completed the trip have also noted that, although the scenery never changes, a bug splats on the windscreen about five hours through the first trip, and on the return trip the light does fade, with differences at dusk, and later a pitch black road where the player is guided only with headlights.

Are you for real?? To Google!

*edit* - I didn't understand how that is paranormal at first, but now I get it. Desert Bus is hands down the most paranormal game to ever exist. Paul Noise wins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_&_Teller's_Smoke_and_Mirrors

Edited by Jerry Only

Mac E

How about the Zombies Ate my Neighbors. I think it was on the old SNES console. As far as scary ones Resident Evil 3 was realy good.

KALASH69

Silent Hill (1, 2) and Fatal Frame. Very good games.

Oh and Parasite Eve is really good too, but that deals more with extraterrestrial stuff.

Rosewin

The Parasite Eve movie was really good too. The game was highly recommended to me but I never got around to playing it. Giant bugs, eww squishy.

_Only

Silent Hill (1, 2) and Fatal Frame. Very good games.

Oh and Parasite Eve is really good too, but that deals more with extraterrestrial stuff.

Extraterrestrial stuff is totally paranormal.

xYlvax

Resident Evil 0, too. 0's atmosphere was incredible, very beautifully rendered. Even the nightmare fuel aspects of it. To this day one of my favorite moments in a video game was at the very beginning, making your way through the train, dead corpses sitting in seats or thrown over them, looks of panic and fear still locked on their faces. And as you draw closer one suddenly looks up right at you and lurches to life... All done in-game, no cutscene to interrupt the flow of horror. You actually watch this dead corpse that until then was just part of the background, nothing to indicate it's different from any of the other numerous corpses on-screen, turn its head to track you then lurch to its feet and groan as it shuffles at you.

It's not the most outright frightening moment in a video game ever, but it shows a sense of attention to detail that made it one of my favorite moments.

And as for 4 and 5... They changed it now it sucks. I don't want the same old run-and-gun garbage I could get out of any third-person shooter on the marker. I want survival horror, not action horror, out of my REs. And yes folks, there's a difference.

Survival horror: You stand in front of a door, asking yourself if you're prepared to open it and see what new Hell the room beyond could potentially contain. You take out whatever gun you might possibly have a few shots left in. You steel yourself, open the door, edge your way into the room... Empty. The next room is the same. The third room is equally lifeless. You sigh in relief. You turn to leave the room and suddenly the music changes into a sinister crescendo, and some horrible perversion of humanity and life smashes through the closet door and lets out a guttural scream as it scuttles toward you. Do you run like Hell, or do you think you have enough shots left to end this mockery of life?

Action horror: You run past a door, unable to stop to consider what might lie behind it, because a horde of foaming-at-the-mouth screaming-their-heads-off humanlike... Things... Are chasing you at top speed. You run past door after door, take a header off the balcony and think in relief as you climb to your feet and dust yourself off that you lost them for perhaps thirty seconds. Then you hear a chainsaw and look only to see something sprinting at you like a cheetah waving a bloody chainsaw. You EFFING SHOOT IT. You shoot it until it stops moving. You shoot it some more just to damn well MAKE SURE. But by now, the crowd has managed to get out of the house and once again you're running through the streets at top speed, because if you ever once stop to think for a single split second about any of the horror you've seen since you started, you die. You have no time, no chance, no opportunity to take in any of the horror elements of the game, because you're too busy runnin'-and-gunnin'.

That's the difference. >_>

Loved how you explained the difference :tu:

KALASH69

I suppose so, when I think of paranormal I think of spirits and demons and such, not so much aliens or zombies.

If thats the case then the Half Life games are superb.

Edited by KALASH69

NightMoon

Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I also liked the first Quake back in the 90's.

Edited by NightMoon

Fate Foretold

I'm a fan of GhostHunter for the PS2. :) Definitely a great game, IMO!

Drago

Well then!

Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3)

Area 51 (PS2)

X-COM (PC)

Frikkin' X-COM.

Sakari

By far...FEAR and FEAR 2 ...

check it out

http://www.whatisfear.com/

That alone will scare you

_Only

By far...FEAR and FEAR 2 ...

check it out

http://www.whatisfear.com/

That alone will scare you

Still think Fatal Frame is way scarier.

Jesse_Custer

PREY

_Only

PREY

^

What a cliffhanger.

Pauly Dangerously

Actually now that I think about it, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem was pretty messed up. The way it constantly made you question if what was happening was real.

Edited by Paul Noise

Drago

Inorite?! I mean yeah it was kinda heavy on the action so you didn't get horror so much as frights, but the Sanity System in that thing was a work of art with the way it'd even start messing with the player's reality.

Pauly Dangerously

Inorite?! I mean yeah it was kinda heavy on the action so you didn't get horror so much as frights, but the Sanity System in that thing was a work of art with the way it'd even start messing with the player's reality.

Oh yeah. I mean what games stops you mid fight, tells you thank for playing the demo and that if you'd like to purchase the real game to contact the game creator? Then snaps back to gameplay? It was so frustrating. Or you head would just get lopped off by an invisible enemy. Or the voices and footsteps. I'm a 25yo dude and I just shivered remembering playing that game.

MasterAdam

The Condemned and FEAR games are my favorites of the paranormal video games. THANKS MONOLITH!!!!!!

Big Jon

Darkstalkers was okay, there was a monster-type shooter arcade game with replica gun controls, I think I'd put Rampage in the list for having a wolf, lizard and ape (sort of a cross between giant monsters and paranormal), but for direct correlation to paranormal gaming, I have to go with the original Alone in the Dark, with 1920's private detective and paranormal investigator Edward Carnby (or the female character, can't remember her name), finding his way through the bizarre dangers and puzzles of a house, and discovering the ultimate evil buried beneath.

I forgot about rampage, what an amazing game that was.

ploppy

Oh I forgot the Condemned Games. I didn't enjoy playing them simply because there were too many moments where things would jump at you in total blackness and you'd just swing for fear. That game is so dark in terms of brightness levels :P

BiffSplitkins

I have to say my favorite paranormal game of all time is Clive Barker's Undying. It's pretty old (2001) but still creeps me out when I play it at night with my headphones on. Here's the original teaser:

Mikey J

Resident Evil 1,2 and 3. I really do not care to much for 4 or 5.

Agreed.

Edited by Mikey J

Mikey J

Resident Evil 0, too. 0's atmosphere was incredible, very beautifully rendered. Even the nightmare fuel aspects of it. To this day one of my favorite moments in a video game was at the very beginning, making your way through the train, dead corpses sitting in seats or thrown over them, looks of panic and fear still locked on their faces. And as you draw closer one suddenly looks up right at you and lurches to life... All done in-game, no cutscene to interrupt the flow of horror. You actually watch this dead corpse that until then was just part of the background, nothing to indicate it's different from any of the other numerous corpses on-screen, turn its head to track you then lurch to its feet and groan as it shuffles at you.

It's not the most outright frightening moment in a video game ever, but it shows a sense of attention to detail that made it one of my favorite moments.

And as for 4 and 5... They changed it now it sucks. I don't want the same old run-and-gun garbage I could get out of any third-person shooter on the marker. I want survival horror, not action horror, out of my REs. And yes folks, there's a difference.

Survival horror: You stand in front of a door, asking yourself if you're prepared to open it and see what new Hell the room beyond could potentially contain. You take out whatever gun you might possibly have a few shots left in. You steel yourself, open the door, edge your way into the room... Empty. The next room is the same. The third room is equally lifeless. You sigh in relief. You turn to leave the room and suddenly the music changes into a sinister crescendo, and some horrible perversion of humanity and life smashes through the closet door and lets out a guttural scream as it scuttles toward you. Do you run like Hell, or do you think you have enough shots left to end this mockery of life?

Action horror: You run past a door, unable to stop to consider what might lie behind it, because a horde of foaming-at-the-mouth screaming-their-heads-off humanlike... Things... Are chasing you at top speed. You run past door after door, take a header off the balcony and think in relief as you climb to your feet and dust yourself off that you lost them for perhaps thirty seconds. Then you hear a chainsaw and look only to see something sprinting at you like a cheetah waving a bloody chainsaw. You EFFING SHOOT IT. You shoot it until it stops moving. You shoot it some more just to damn well MAKE SURE. But by now, the crowd has managed to get out of the house and once again you're running through the streets at top speed, because if you ever once stop to think for a single split second about any of the horror you've seen since you started, you die. You have no time, no chance, no opportunity to take in any of the horror elements of the game, because you're too busy runnin'-and-gunnin'.

That's the difference. >_>

*Stands up and begins to slow clap*

Very well said. I couldn't agree more. I got into a huge debate with a guy at a party once and said almost exactly what you have written. Oh how I miss survival hrror, if I play one more run-n-gun paranormal game I think I will puke. (Left for Dead 2 excluded because "They were who we thought they were")

Mikey J

The atmosphere of the Resident Evil Remake was also incredible. And the crimson head zombies...talk about surprise!

I bought a Gamecube just for the remake...worth every penny.

Drago

*Stands up and begins to slow clap*

Very well said. I couldn't agree more. I got into a huge debate with a guy at a party once and said almost exactly what you have written. Oh how I miss survival hrror, if I play one more run-n-gun paranormal game I think I will puke. (Left for Dead 2 excluded because "They were who we thought they were")

As far as I can tell, Left 4 Dead/L4D2 are pretty much action horror taken to the extreme one can take it and not make it an arcade rails-shooter. "HeretheycomeohGodshootitshootitshootitgetoutofthewaySHOOTITSHOOTITSHOOTTHEMOTHER!@#$ER!"

As such I have no criticism of the series. It set out to do a job and did it, from what I can tell, admirably. I don't necessarily think run-and-gun horror is bad, I'm just ticked 'cus of the genre-shift. It'd be like making the next Zelda game an FPS. I don't play Zelda so I can shoot a Stalfos with an automatic crossbow. >_>