Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our Insignificance

Perdition

This is a video i found of how insignificant we are compared to the universe. I think its absolutely mind blowing and beautiful.

Just wanted to share this with everyone :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRUEYOUTRUEME

• MID

• danielost

• Perdition

Awsome vidoe perdition, Thanks for sharing it with us,

This video definetally makes one feel extremely small.

It is from the American Museum of Natural History.

Here is link giving More Info ~ The Known Universe

EXCERPT:

The Known Universe Scientifically Rendered For All to See

After hovering over Mount Everest and the gorges that plunge to the Ganges, you are pulled through the Earth’s atmosphere to glimpse the inky black of space over Tibet’s high desert. So begins The Known Universe, a new film produced by the American Museum of Natural History that is part of a new exhibition, Visions of the Cosmos: From the Milky Ocean to an Evolving Universe, at the Rubin Museum of Art in New York City.

The magic of this film, though, happens as the inky black expands. Pulling farther and farther from Earth, you see the deep blue of the Pacific give way to night as the Sun comes into focus, the orbits of the solar system shrink smaller and smaller, the constellations Sagittarius and Scorpio stretch and distort, and, as the Milky Way receeds, the spidery structure of millions of other galaxies come into view. Then, you reach the limit of the observable universe, the afterglow of the Big Bang. This light has taken more than 13.7 billion years to reach our planet, and you return, back to Earth, to two lakes that are nestled between Mount Kailash and Mount Gurla Mandhata in the Himalayas.

The structure of The Known Universe is based on precise, scientifically-accurate observations and research. The Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History maintains the Digital Universe Atlas, the world’s most complete four-dimensional map of the universe. The Digital Universe started nearly a decade ago. It is continually updated and is the primary resource for production of the Museum’s Space Shows such as the current Journey to the Stars, and is used in live, real-time renderings for Virtual Tours of the Universe, a public program held on the first Tuesday of every month. Last year, some 30,000 people downloaded the Digital Universe to their personal computers, and the Digital Universe will soon be updated with a more accurate and user-friendly software interface. Digital Universe is licensed to many other planetariums and theaters world-wide.

“I liken the Digital Universe to the invention of the globe,” says Curator Ben R. Oppenheimer, an astrophysicist at the Museum. “When Mercator invented the globe, everyone wanted one. He had back orders for years. It gave everyone a new perspective on where they live in relation to others, and we hope that the Digital Universe does the same on a grander, cosmic scale.”

The new film was produced by Michael Hoffman, and directed by Carter Emmart. Brian Abbot manages and Ben R. Oppenheimer curates the Digital Universe Atlas. The exhibition at the Rubin, Visions of the Cosmos: From the Milky Ocean to an Evolving Universe, opened on December 11 and continues through May 10.

Though what I take from this is this.

Life is Amazing!

0000front.gif

If we are so small then how is there so much incredible power and force packed into us? Life is Amazing!

I definetally believe in higher powers. The more you see of the massive scale of this Universe the more you have to wonder how much Life and power and force is packed into it.

Here is another great video that is related to the thread topic of "Our Insignifigance".

It deals a little more closely with the power of it all. Numbers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm0bIuAVmOA

Here is where I picked up on it and it gives a litle more info on it.

Great thread!!!

This is a video i found of how insignificant we are compared to the universe. I think its absolutely mind blowing and beautiful.

Just wanted to share this with everyone :)

I have found that you can actually download and view the atlas. I'm downloading it now and I'll check it out later, here is the link if anyone is interested. :tu:

Digital Universe Atlas

I have found that you can actually download and view the atlas. I'm downloading it now and I'll check it out later, here is the link if anyone is interested. :tu:

Digital Universe Atlas

Great find!

I definetally want to give that a try!

Download our atlas of the Universe and the free Partiview software and begin flying around the Galaxy at home.

Download the Digital Universe

Digital Universe Atlas

Thats a mega download, 183 MBs, :blink: Would love to have it but my IP would cripple my internet usage, :lol:

Awsome vidoe perdition, Thanks for sharing it with us,

Ditto...

One of the most difficult things to do that I've found, is to adequately describe the scale of the universe as we know it.

Its scale is actually beyond comprehension, and the sub-atomic nature of our Sun, and of course, our planet Earth, when viewed in relation to the cosmos, is beyond staggering.

If you really sit down and begin to understand, the mere thought of the scale of the universe sends chills up your spine.

Often, we toss out huge numbers to descibe distances. We refer to light years as a way of describing vast distances. A light year is roughly 5,879,000,000,000 miles, or 5.9 x 1012 miles as we note it to avoid writing all those zeroes.

How big a distance is that?

Sure, we know it's the distance light travels in a year.

But think of it...

If this:

...is 101, then 102 (100) is this:

and 103 (1000) is:

****************************************************************************************************

And 10 4 (10,000)?

You got it...

****************************************************************************************************

Remember, each of these (*) represents 10.

Now, if I represented 105 (100,000), well, it would be pretty silly because I'd have to draw in what I just drew in above for 10,000, ten times, or, I'd show 10,000 *s...and that's just to represent 100,000.

A million would be 10 times that many; 10 million--10 times THAT many, and a billion...

...100 time larger still!

But we're not yet approaching a trillion.

Lets talk miles:

We've gone to a billion above. Incredibly huge number, right?

Pluto orbits the Sun around 3.7 billion miles away. That's not close to a trillion miles. A trillion miles is 270 times Pluto's distance from the Sun, and a light year is 5.9 time's that distance, or, about 1600 Sun-Pluto distances away!

Remember that a trip to Pluto will take 9 years for New Horizons to complete. It would take the craft 2400 years to travel a trillion miles, and over 14000 years to go a single light year. It's a whale of a distance.

But the closest star to our Sun is 4 times farther than a light year away!

Know what that means..other than it'll take New Horizons close to 60,000 years to go there?

Our solar system surrounds a star that is so alone that it's ridiculous. If our Sun was the size of a pea, the orbit of Pluto would be about 85 feet away (we'd be a tiny little spec around 2 1/2 feet away from the pea).

Where the nearest pea to our Sun at that scale?

Sitting about 100 miles away. That's where the closest star is to us..if our Sun were the size of a pea...

That's roughly 4 light years. It would take the Voyagers about 30,000 years to go that distance...

Now, consider the distance to the galactic center, which is about 6300 times as far as the nearest "pea", and consider that this galaxy as a whole is just an insignificant spec relative to the cosmos as a whole...

...that's where the head spins and just loses it.

It is an awesome universe, beyond any comprehensible scale.

Ditto...

...that's where the head spins and just loses it.

It is an awesome universe, beyond any comprehensible scale.

Awesome post! Scale and numbers really are the needle in the hay stack. So to speak. They just simply defy all our reason in being able to comprehend them in their true form.

As I was trying to say above though I will try to restate it.

If Life as we know it is only in forms that are really very very miniscule. Like humans, animals, and even micro oganisms. These things are obviously very much a tiny little speck in reards to what exists around them. Then how is it not possible that some form of Life exists among the planets themselves or in even larger Cosmic phenomena?

And in all honesty it is something that keeps me up at nights. So to speak. I truely believe that Life exists everywhere in the Universe in some form or another.

If Life as we know it is only in forms that are really very very miniscule. Like humans, animals, and even micro oganisms. These things are obviously very much a tiny little speck in regards to what exists around them. Then how is it not possible that some form of Life exists among the planets themselves or in even larger Cosmic phenomena?

And in all honesty it is something that keeps me up at nights. So to speak. I truely believe that Life exists everywhere in the Universe in some form or another.

The idea that our infinitessimally small, literally invisible planet, is the only home to the uniqueness of life, seems to me to be utterly improbable, if not ludicrous.

:tu:

i think we will find that the 4th dimension is size. the first three being hieght length and width. i mean look at an atom and look at a solar system they are similar in design.

i think we will find that the 4th dimension is size. the first three being hieght length and width. i mean look at an atom and look at a solar system they are similar in design.

The 4th dimension is time.

Strange that in our whole universe that we might be the only ones with life. The earth was just perfectly the right size and distance away from the sun that it made it possible for life to form.

The 4th dimension is time.

Strange that in our whole universe that we might be the only ones with life. The earth was just perfectly the right size and distance away from the sun that it made it possible for life to form.

sorry i have to add this. life as we know it. isn't it wonderful how we accidently got a moon the right size to keep our weather in check.

Size is actually a description of the three dimensions in toto, daniel.

Size is actually a description of the three dimensions in toto, daniel.

i was thinking more of huge differences in size. such as us and bacteria, or atoms. if we were the size of a bacteria i don't think we would be able to see inside of it.

Edited by danielost