Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronomer busts Mayan calendar's dire

behaviour???

Washington, Nov 14 (IANS) The world won't be coming to an end on December 21, 2012, as said to be darkly predicted by the Mayan calendar, says an astronomer.

Ann Martin, doctoral candidate in Cornell University astronomy department, points out that the Mayan calendar was designed to be cyclical, so the fact that the long count comes to an end in December 2012 is really of no consequence.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Thanks

B???

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheSearcher

• chaoszerg

• Marby

• Eldorado

• 3 weeks later...

but..but...this has already been mentioned a zillion time...

Hi :)

I just wanted to throw this quote from the Kolbrin out there to stir the minds

"So Habaris concealed many things from them and taught, by simple tales, things within their understanding. He taught them the mysteries concerning the wheel of the years and divided the year into a Summer half and a Winter half, with a great year circle of fifty-two years, a hundred and four of which was the circle of the Destroyer. He gave them the Laws of Weal and Woe and established the folkfeasts of harvest-tide and seeding-tide. He taught them the ritual of

Ulisidui."

but what about our sun going through the galatic center on this date and opening a dark portal to another realm where horrilbe creatures come from.....i agree nothing will happen on this date and these doomsday prediction are getting outta control no one knows when the world will end and thats the way its suppose to be

but what about our sun going through the galatic center on this date and opening a dark portal to another realm where horrilbe creatures come from.....i agree nothing will happen on this date and these doomsday prediction are getting outta control no one knows when the world will end and thats the way its suppose to be

By horrible creatures you do mean mother-in-law's right?

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this hasn't been inspired by the movie 2012 plus a couple of crazy theories going around (although it probably is...), okay something will happen in 2012... but it probably won't be the end of the world or something crazy like that

I hope this hasn't been inspired by the movie 2012 plus a couple of crazy theories going around (although it probably is...), okay something will happen in 2012... but it probably won't be the end of the world or something crazy like that

Would be nice if the econmu could pick back up again in 2012. Now there's something I would actually like to happen in 2012.

When it comes to spewing out weightless, craptacular articles, Yahoo never seems to fail.

The fact that the Mayan calendar is cyclical is no big news at all. If the Mayans were predicting some kind of significant or catastrophic event during the winter solstice in 2012, is was probably more closely related to the beginning of a new era in world history.

Well we live in hope that something crazy will happen in 2012. The Maple Leafs will win the Stanley cup, the Jays will win the World Series, the Raptors will win the NBA championship and I will win the Lotto 6/49. All equally unlikely. Well O.K. The Leafs winning anything at all is probably the most unlikely event of the aforementioned

Well we live in hope that something crazy will happen in 2012. The Maple Leafs will win the Stanley cup, the Jays will win the World Series, the Raptors will win the NBA championship and I will win the Lotto 6/49. All equally unlikely. Well O.K. The Leafs winning anything at all is probably the most unlikely event of the aforementioned

Classic xD

"......Cornell University astronomy department, points out that the Mayan calendar was designed to be cyclical...."

Like most people with half a brain never knew!

How much cash is spent annually on "scientific" studies each year to confirm the obvious?

"......Cornell University astronomy department, points out that the Mayan calendar was designed to be cyclical...."

Like most people with half a brain never knew!

How much cash is spent annually on "scientific" studies each year to confirm the obvious?

Well if you see how many people still don't know this and keep believing in the 2012 apocalypse bollox, obviously not enough.

Well if you see how many people still don't know this and keep believing in the 2012 apocalypse bollox, obviously not enough.

Tis only the people that can't read properly that believe in it. The kind that think YouTube is a news channel. lol

I find it quite sad that a certain percentage of people cant think outside of the box and be open minded. Im glad I joined up with a group of people who can think for themselves and can see the truth. It gets a bit stressful when I have to explain to people that the movie 2012 was just a movie and that there is a chance it might not be real.

Edited by Mark logan

Tis only the people that can't read properly that believe in it. The kind that think YouTube is a news channel. lol

And that's the sad part, some people in this very forum use YouTube as a source for some of their claims and then are surprised that people find that funny.

Don't get me wrong, I love YouTube for the entertainment value, same as everybody else, when bored it can be quite usefull, but using it as source .... erm no, not happening.

I find it quite sad that a certain percentage of people can’t think outside of the box and be open minded. I’m glad I joined up with a group of people who can think for themselves and can see the truth. It gets a bit stressful when I have to explain to people that the movie “2012” was just a movie and that there is a chance it might not be real.

It's funny you should say it that way, because when I try to explain that 2012 was only a movie and that science does not provide a iota of support for it, I get accused of not being open-minded and unable to think outside of the box.

There is a difference between having an open mind and having your mind so open, that it's become a funnel, the size of a football field, that gobbles up every piece of garbage you come across.

This nonsense about 2012 reminds me reading Lovecraft. His books are interesting in that much of what he refers to are in fact fiction, yet people think that his references are true. For example, Lovecraft might describe a castle as one seen in a xxxx painting. A check reveals that there was no painter by the name xxxx. Maybe this portal to dangerous creatures from some other place is simply a rewrite of the return of the old ones and the rise of the Cthulu cult?

Would be nice if the econmu could pick back up again in 2012. Now there's something I would actually like to happen in 2012.

There are some positive predictions out there! For example, some of the quatrains of Nostradamus are said to predict a Golden Age of Man for somewhere around the 2016-2030 period, where everything would be totally awesome.

There is a difference between having an open mind and having your mind so open, that it's become a funnel, the size of a football field, that gobbles up every piece of garbage you come across.

Heh, yes, check the quote in my sig by Terry Pratchett, sums it up nicely.

The thing about having an open mind is that its your mind not someone else’s. I accept a good bit of information from the world, then I sort through it and decide what is total BS, what some type of religion or faith could possibly describe and answer, what can be solved scientifically and logically and then what can not be put into the first three categories I try to research and find out more information about it. Anything that is not in any of those categories I decide for my self whether I want to believe it or not. I take in as much information as I can then I sort through it but this is just how I do it. There are many different views and opinions on what being open minded is.

Sorry to get off topic with this post.

The thing about having an open mind is that its your mind not someone else’s. I accept a good bit of information from the world, then I sort through it and decide what is total BS, what some type of religion or faith could possibly describe and answer, what can be solved scientifically and logically and then what can not be put into the first three categories I try to research and find out more information about it. Anything that is not in any of those categories I decide for my self whether I want to believe it or not. I take in as much information as I can then I sort through it but this is just how I do it. There are many different views and opinions on what being open minded is.

Sorry to get off topic with this post.

Yep, I do so too, but most people don't. Due to whatever reason, they just believe anything. I don't know if its laziness, misinformation or whatnot, but see how many people prefer believing something which has no proof or facts to support it, as opposed to things that have.

I disagree.

Far and away the largest segment of people who think that something will happen in 2012 are young: Ages 10-20. Now it is easy to dismiss the people who think that something will happen in 2012 as ignorant or gullible, but I think that's a mistake. Besides the young there are many people who have been taken in by this hoax. It really is a hoax, and one that it being leveraged by scam artists to get people to buy their book or video, or sign up for their information service, or to buy into a shelter.

If you are being constantly hit with messages that something dire will happen in 2012, it becomes easy to fall prey to the "where there's smoke, there's fire" fallacy.

I don't think that it is simply a case of not being able to read properly. I think it is a case of people depending on the wrong sources for their information.

I disagree.

Far and away the largest segment of people who think that something will happen in 2012 are young: Ages 10-20. Now it is easy to dismiss the people who think that something will happen in 2012 as ignorant or gullible, but I think that's a mistake. Besides the young there are many people who have been taken in by this hoax. It really is a hoax, and one that it being leveraged by scam artists to get people to buy their book or video, or sign up for their information service, or to buy into a shelter.

If you are being constantly hit with messages that something dire will happen in 2012, it becomes easy to fall prey to the "where there's smoke, there's fire" fallacy.

I don't think that it is simply a case of not being able to read properly. I think it is a case of people depending on the wrong sources for their information.

Nicely put. Like I keep saying, YouTube is not and will never be a credible source of information or news (mind you that's what I think of Fox News too). It's like you say, if hammered often enough via different channels and media that something is going to happen, even if by A+B = C you can prove it won't, people will start to doubt, and like you say go with the old adage : "where there's smoke, there's fire". True enough when you live in the woods, but otherwise wrong.

I think it is a case of people depending on the wrong sources for their information.

Example: Blossom Goodchild and her aliens coming to earth, made silly claims of being in contact with aliens and that they were coming at a set date and look how that ended in disaster for her and her bandwagon jumpers.

Example: Blossom Goodchild and her aliens coming to earth, made silly claims of being in contact with aliens and that they were coming at a set date and look how that ended in disaster for her and her bandwagon jumpers.

Very true that. Good example. Keep going young padawan, you'll be accused of co-conspiracy yet.