Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Angels can't fly, scientist says

Still Waters

Angels depicted heralding the birth of Jesus in nativity scenes across the world are anatomically flawed, according to a scientist who claims they would never be able to fly.

A leading biologist has compared the physiology of flighted species with the representations of spiritual and mythical creatures in art – and found the angels and fairies that sit atop of Christmas trees did not get there under their own steam.

Prof Roger Wotton, from University College London, found that flight would be impossible for angels portrayed with arms and bird-like feathered wings.

arrow3.gifRead more...

According to a renowned professor, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly by all the laws of physics. This is true.

In any case, angels don't rely on aerodynamic lift, do they; they use some form of anti-gravity propulsion. That's obvious.

• Like 3

LOLz

Man, i'd like to get payed for research like that.

Today's research: "Why redheads can't be attractive mermaids."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 3

All sculptors who've studied the figure are aware of this. The wings of angels have no logical bone and muscular structure connecting their wings to the rest of their bodies. Actually the sculpture in the Louvre Museum in Paris that's called "Winged Victory" (not a Christian angel but a humanoid with wings) has a pretty large, muscular set of wings. Angel depictions with serious wings look really cool.

I read somewhere that the Judaic concept of angels having wings comes from the time the culture spent enslaved by Egypt. Depictions of gods in Egypt often included human bodies with animal parts (like, Horus had the head of a falcon).

Given the fact that angels (which I don't believe in) aren't physical beings with weight, there's no reason they would need serious wings. But it is interesting to wonder how an angel who had a physical body would have to be constructed.

wingedvictory.jpg

Here's a pic of Winged Victory. The arms have broken off over the ages but they would have attached normally at the shoulder.

I guess if Winged Victory were actually a flying creature it would have to be proportioned like this:

wingedvictory2.jpg

Edited by Siara

Angels do not have to fly, because they can teleport. If you accept the idea of angels then you believe in God, and thus in miracles. Angels do not have to actually move anywhere, they just are there or they are not.

• Like 1

angels are allowed to break the laws of physics beccause they work for god who wrote the laws of physics :tu:

• Like 1

What a ****, if angels serve the God who made the universe and set its laws in motion, they would be able to do anything he gives them power to do.

• Like 1

Apollo riding his chariot across the sky is not scientific plausible but that does not mean the Sun doesn't exist.

This article is one big cliché. Scientists, who normally don't believe in religion, conduct a study on angels and the possibility of flight. What a waste of money.

This is almost as bad as when a university professor did a psychological study on Bugs Bunny, only to conclude to his class that he was in fact gay. :rolleyes:

This article assumes that angels, fairies, are physical beings, but if they exist, they are most likely to be metaphysical, "Nature Spirits" that are made up of energy and are completely spiritual in nature, that only take on humanoid forms so that humans can relate to them.

This article is one big cliché. Scientists, who normally don't believe in religion, conduct a study on angels and the possibility of flight. What a waste of money.

This is almost as bad as when a university professor did a psychological study on Bugs Bunny, only to conclude to his class that he was in fact gay. :rolleyes:

HE WAS NOT!!!

You take that back! :no:

Edited by www375

Just adding my voice to the "What a moron!" crowd.

Edited by Paul Noise

The depiction of wings just tells us that this was a being who could fly, not necessarily as depicted. Perhaps in a vehicle, perhaps otherwise. I believe adding wings was just the easiest way to convey the fact that the being could fly in whatever manner. Halos show us who was holy/divine - wings show us who was airborn.

Oh sure Superman can can fly but Angels can't. This scientist guy is a moron LOL

hahahahaha...funniest **** ever!!!...getting paid to study something that's not real...where do i find a application for this job, i couldn't find it on craigslist

If angels existed, why would they need to be anatomically correct to fly? Their very existence would be "magical". The wings would just be a symbol of their ability to fly in my opinion. And this is coming from a person who's an Atheist and hasn't the slightest belief in angels. I think this is a waste of time.

EDIT: Also, fairies are known to sprinkle dust as they fly(lol), let me guess, they're not anatomically fit to do this? Tell us the obvious.

Edited by ShaunZero

If angels existed, why would they need to be anatomically correct to fly? Their very existence would be "magical". The wings would just be a symbol of their ability to fly in my opinion. And this is coming from a person who's an Atheist and hasn't the slightest belief in angels. I think this is a waste of time.

EDIT: Also, fairies are known to sprinkle dust as they fly(lol), let me guess, their not anatomically fit to do this? Tell us the obvious.

Agree a complete waste of time regardless of his faith or lack of. For one we only have a discription it would be like me proving dragons can't fly. No evidience either way.

Gee, that was fun. Now can we move on to more serious research to justify your paycheck, please?

Why do they think they would need to obay the laws of physics as we know them?

Because there Angels and Angels never break the law ;)

Why do they think they would need to obay the laws of physics as we know them?

Cause they are stupid