Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Scariest Ghost Films of All Time...

MDeacon

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MDeacon

• ploppy

• 667-Neighbor of the Beast

• UltraThunderMan

That is a good list, and I am glad to see that you have listed movies that are not from the past 5 years, as well as not English titles...I know the older movies run at a different speed, but they are masterful at building up to scares. Recent movies lack that nuance...lots of shock factor type of stuff.

I loved the Orphanage(Del Toros other movies too)and was really moved by that one, the level of character development is just amazing as you watch the mother go through the horror of a lost child...

Anyway...great job on the list, there are a few there that I haven't seen that I am going to have to pickup :)

Thank You Fluffybunny... my goal is to rate every film ever made that is based on a Ghostly subject with the intention to Scare...

I loved The Exorcist but calling it scary? It's more suspensful than scary.

It is very suspenseful but the image of Linda Blair being possessed by the Evil is lodged within Film History... I dare you to place any child (over 8) in front of the TV to watch it... they will have nightmares for weeks... you can't say that about all Ghostly Films. It is a classic Horror Film so I believe it earned it's rating on the Scariest/Best Ghost Films of All Time.

Thank You for your response MasterAdam.

The Exorcist is especially scary if you believe the Devil exists and that possessions are possible.

I do to both.

I accept you throwing of fruit :innocent:

Here is a list that I have created on the topic of The Scariest Ghost Films of All Time. Now this relates to anything Ghostly which includes Possession, Exorcisms, Hauntings etc etc... This list consists of only the films that I have watched (most of them re-watched) and then given an honest Rating... there are many more films that I have not yet Rated... but give me your opinion on those that have...

The Scariest Ghost Films of All Time

If you have any concerns about any rating, just ask and I shall answer you with why I chose that particular number...

Enjoy!

Hmmm.... I'd switch those top two. I always have found "The Shining" to be much scarier than the "Exorcist"

Here a few scary film that i can think of. Saw, Candyman,Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Communion,Jeepers Creepers to name but a few.

Am I the only person who was never afraid of the Exorcist or the Shining?

Really? Well I guess it all depends on what age you watched them.

Here a few scary film that i can think of. Saw, Candyman,Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Communion,Jeepers Creepers to name but a few.

Lol Well except for Candyman the rest really don't fit with Ghost Horror Films but I will say Texas Chainsaw will always be an iconic film...Saw ehhh, not so much, just my opinion.

Now, personally I never found a single one of them scary... Candyman is good, but not scary... Jeepers Creepers is about the closest to "Scary" in your list...

I saw the Exorcist for the first time when I was 7. And then I saw The Shining the next year.

Never scared me.

I know people who are older than 18 now and they're still afraid to watch it.

That's cool, some people have different thresholds for things, the real question is what films give you the creeps? Or do any films actually scare ya?

"The house by the cemetary" always creeped me out. not so much the killer but the way the spooky old house is filmed at night.

Yeah there are plenty more I have not reviewed yet but An American Haunting is on the "To-Do" list...:)

Paranormal Activity was a tough one for sure... where it lacks in production and acting... it makes up in Curiosity and Scare Factor... meaning as bad as the acting was I still waited in anticipation for the end, this is why I gave a 6 for Story Line. I also gave a 6 for Cast & Crew because it was a well made film for such a low budget, it of course was not insanely great this is why it got a 6, :). The Scare Factor deserves a 10 and the breathing and talking deserves a 9 for Audio/ Music because it brought the mood into that creepy state we all wanted. Nightmare Value deserved a 9 for the mere fact that it was shot documentary style in a house much like your own.

It received an 8.0 on the fact of it's scare tactics and for sure not it's production.

Thanx for your opinions guys!

I thought the acting was great but the scare factor wasn't there...

"The Exorcist" definately warrants first place. "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" scared me to death - look at the 'real' footage on youtube, absolutely terryfing!

Here a few scary films that i can think of. Saw, Candyman,Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Communion,Jeepers Creepers to name but a few.Clive Barkers Hellraiser-i hate that film. :w00t: