Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Mayans Likely Had Fountains and

thefinalfrontier

The ancient Mayans may have had enough engineering know-how to master running water, creating fountains and even toilets by controlling water pressure, scientists now suggest.

Perhaps the earliest known example of the intentional creation of water pressure was found on the island of Crete in a Minoan palace dating back to roughly 1400 BC. In the New World, the ability to generate water pressure was previously thought to have begun only with the arrival of the Spanish.

Scientists investigated the Mayan center at Palenque in Chiapas, Mexico.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I found this article interesting,

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninjadude

• Paracelse

• thefinalfrontier

• Black Hound

Perhaps it's time to realize the human mind is like the planet, with period of global warming and period of glaciation... Most of us think in a linear form, Neanderthal, Cro-magnon, then various culture: Assyrians, Egyptians, Tene culture etc.. then the Greeks, Romans etc... yet new archeological discoveries tend to prove that human knowledge is not linear.. the creators of the Antikethera mechanism knew the earth was round and that knowledge was forgotten. In Bagdad, electricity was known more than 2000 years ago, also forgotten. Admiral Reis (better known as Piri Reis) admits he had used much older "Portolans" the draw his map, but most scientist works very hard to turn it into a hoax..

Our ancesters were not the barbarians we imagine. They had different ways of thinking, that all. In the futur, the next generation archeologists will (maybe) think we were barbarians also...

I like to think of myself as being open minded, on almost any topic, this included. It might be possible and I have nothing to refute what the author presented. I found it interesting and know some plumbers that might be impressed by it.

the creators of the Antikethera mechanism knew the earth was round and that knowledge was forgotten.

It was not. The flat earth thing is a myth by pseudo scientists of the day.

yet new archeological discoveries tend to prove that human knowledge is not linear.. the creators of the Antikethera mechanism knew the earth was round and that knowledge was forgotten.

No, that's a Victorian age fallacy. The ancient Greeks were the first to record that the Earth was round, and calculate it's size.

In Bagdad, electricity was known more than 2000 years ago, also forgotten.

No, the jars did not work as conductors, much more likely they were, like the other similar jars of the area, storage for sacred scrolls. To actually use them as batteries requires changing a good amount of their design.

Admiral Reis (better known as Piri Reis) admits he had used much older "Portolans" the draw his map, but most scientist works very hard to turn it into a hoax.

Scientists don't need to work very hard to prove it's a fake. It doesn't look like much more than a era map, with what references a person would have been able to use then. It's been discussed ehre several times and the claims surrounding them examined.

Different civilizations do advance at different times, that to be sure. The Egyptians were already a well established culture, when Oetzi the Ice man passed away in the mountains.

Edited by ShadowSot

i don't understand the predilection to assume that newly discovered cultures are inferior and barbaric. or for that matter, ancient cultures were ignorant and primitive. i find it entirely plausible that the Mayans mastered water pressure. being surrounded by water sources and changes in elevation would surely have given them insights on the nature of fluid dynamics. applying those insights to create pressure differentials for their own use would be a series of relatively simple innovations. its not like all humans born before our millennia were morons. its not like all humans born in our time are geniuses.

No surprise here. If they were capable of creating a system of aquaducts, then I'm sure they could have made toilets as well.

Never knew they did that! Thanks for the interesting info, thefinalfrontier! :lol: