Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepy Book Suggestions

ploppy

Can anyone reccommend really creepy scary books for me? I'm thinking I'm going to get a lot of Stephen King suggestions ^_^ I've already gotten my hands on the Stand and will give it a go.

Anything is welcome?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Black Hound

• ploppy

• susieice

• Drago

'The Cell' by Stephen King, for those who love all of that lovely gore and blood. ;)

I'm looking more for creepyness than blood and guts, :tu: but was the Cell book adapted to a film per chance? Sounds familiar...or maybe I'm thinking of the Cube :wacko:

I've just DL'd :innocent:The Taking by Dean Koontz. Anyone read this?

"Skeleton Key", if you have an interest vodoo and body switching.The book is better than the movie.

Edited by Graveyard Hound

Shadow Fires, by Dean Koontz, was honestly the first book that gave me nightmares. I can still remember them, and it was a long time before I could re-read the book.

I'm looking more for creepyness than blood and guts, :tu: but was the Cell book adapted to a film per chance? Sounds familiar...or maybe I'm thinking of the Cube :wacko:

I've just DL'd :innocent:The Taking by Dean Koontz. Anyone read this?

Believe me, that book gave me nightmares. Even to this day... :blink: You must mean the 2000 movie 'The Cell' starting Jennfier Lopez.

Communion by Whitley Strieber is a good creepy read, if you like aliens that is :alien:

Edited by Lat

If you want something more true, you can look into Charles Manson and the Family (A book called Helter Skelter is about as good as you'll get,) and a book about a couple named Joel and Lisa Steinberg, which was a very sick, twisted and despicable case of domestic abuse of degrees you wouldn't possibly believe.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. :tu: I can't find The Site, I'll try looking for more info. What's it about?

I've now gotten my hands on another Dean Koontz book (finished The Taking in space of a day&a half). I got Phantoms.

Also got the Shining and been trying to get a hold of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House".

When I say 'got' by the way I mean 'downloaded' for my Ereader. I got it for christmas and now it's given me an excuse to read more.

Believe me, that book gave me nightmares. Even to this day... :blink: You must mean the 2000 movie 'The Cell' starting Jennfier Lopez.

The cell was a joke" the movie that is" Jennifier Lopez sucks as an actor.the book is better.

The Bible. Blood, guts, torture, murder, ghosts, demons, the devil, war, genocide, natural disasters, pestilence, plagues, hell, damnation, mutilation, incest, beastiality... the list goes on and on. An enduring classic for over 800 years.

The Bible. Blood, guts, torture, murder, ghosts, demons, the devil, war, genocide, natural disasters, pestilence, plagues, hell, damnation, mutilation, incest, beastiality... the list goes on and on. An enduring classic for over 800 years.

Don't forget that it's all caused by the good guy!

Clive Barker is very creepy.

Clive Barker's 'Imajica' is a great book. :)

'The Reality Dysfunction' by Peter F Hamilton is a very good one to (and pretty disturbing).

Thanks for the suggestions so far. thumbsup.gif I can't find The Site, I'll try looking for more info. What's it about?

I've now gotten my hands on another Dean Koontz book (finished The Taking in space of a day&a half). I got Phantoms.

Also got the Shining and been trying to get a hold of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House".

When I say 'got' by the way I mean 'downloaded' for my Ereader. I got it for christmas and now it's given me an excuse to read more.

Ploppy, a books not a book, unless you can hold it in your hands and turn the pages, at the end Kiss it, if it grabs you!

Do not talk to me of the Koontz. He is my FAV author. I have read almost everything by him. Try "The Watchers" - EXCELLENT!

"The Site", is published by Pan Macmillan Australia. 1996. The isbn NUMBER IS (0-330-35733-6) if you want to order it from a booksellers/

Watchers? It was okay - I think its best use was introducing concepts Koontz would later use a lot more effectively in the Christopher Snow stories, quite possibly some of his best work.

If I had to rate a list of Koontz' creepiest...

1: Twilight Eyes (Oh GOD that book was good.)

2: Shadow Fires

3: Fear Nothing/Seize the Night (A series.)

4: Phantoms

5: Darkfall

Watchers? It was okay - I think its best use was introducing concepts Koontz would later use a lot more effectively in the Christopher Snow stories, quite possibly some of his best work.

If I had to rate a list of Koontz' creepiest...

1: Twilight Eyes (Oh GOD that book was good.)

2: Shadow Fires

3: Fear Nothing/Seize the Night (A series.)

4: Phantoms

5: Darkfall

Well, I liked the Snow stories, but not madly. Same with the "Odd Thomas" books, but not mad on them either. I do love the Frankenstein books though,.. the latest one the best yet

Fav ever by Koontz is the book " False Memory."

Another excellent book, if your into scarey but fantasy, is Raymond E. Feist "Faerie Tale"... brilliant!original.gif

Faerie Tale! I read that one in like, eighth grade after I found it in the school library! I've been trying to remember the name of that for YEARS!

I think. Is that the one where the family moves into this house by the forest and eventually the daughter gets raped by Puck before one of the little twin brothers gets sent to Faerie on some crazy rescue mission?

That book was freaky. o_o Especially back then. It was the first time I read anything that treated the whole concept of the fey and fairies with any kind of seriousness, much less that level of darkness. I've been looking for one of those stones with a hole worn in it ever since. >_>

And Koontz's Frankenstein stories are good, I'm just not sure I'm willing to call them great. I have trouble using the term great for what amounts to alt-real fanfic, however great it may actually be. XD

Edited by Drago