Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Astronaut Theory

Neem

If you happen to know the precise episode to purchase and can provide a link, Harte, I will seriously consider buying it. I have no problem with that--as long as it's in DVD format. My old VHS player hasn't worked for a long time.

Case Of The Ancient Astronauts (The)

NOVA investigates the theories of von Daniken and others that the Earth has been visited by intelligent beings from outer space. Among claims examined are: that the building techniques used in the Great Pyramid of Cheops are so advanced that only an extraterrestrial intelligence could have built it; and that the engraved stones of Palenque in Mexico depict an ancient astronaut at the controls of a space rocket.

Original broadcast date: 03/08/78

Source

Surprise!!! This link might have the episode online, but it's not loading on my work computer:

http://www.sidereel.com/NOVA/season-5/episode-8

This is the first time that vid has appeared in the several searches I've done for it over the years.

Harte

Edited by Harte

Source

Surprise!!! This link might have the episode online, but it's not loading on my work computer:

http://www.sidereel.com/NOVA/season-5/episode-8

This is the first time that vid has appeared in the several searches I've done for it over the years.

Harte

That gets me going in the right direction. Unfortunately it's not loading on my computer, either, which is odd considering my computer is specifically loaded for any and all graphical formats. Some problem on their end, evidently. If I can get the video to load on my own computer at home, which mirrors my work computer, I might be able to extract it from the browser and into my hard drive.

I can't seem to find any way to locate the video for purchase, which I would like to do. It's so old that maybe that option isn't available. <_<

I found this:

In 1976, Horizon produced one of its episodes on the ancient astronaut hypothesis of Erich von Däniken. The show was re-edited for an American audience and aired in the United States by the Nova science series on PBS. Unfortunately, neither the BBC production nor the Nova version (The Case of the Ancient Astronauts, first aired in the United States in 1978) is currently being sold or rebroadcast, but some university libraries or anthropology departments may own old copies.

Source

Harte

Edited by Harte

An excerpt from a new documentary regarding the 1961 archeological discovery of alien evidence in Africa:

Any reason you're posting this video?

Any reason you're posting this video?

Probably the same reason he's been posting other similar videos (presumably from his/her YouTube account) in multiple threads.

Probably the same reason he's been posting other similar videos (presumably from his/her YouTube account) in multiple threads.

Yeah, I think it's his or her youtube account as well. Don't know what Groucho marx has to do with it.

I'm hoping that his videos are intended to be a tongue in cheek parody. That's the impression I get from watching the few that I've watched anyway. If they are intended to be serious, they are pathetically bad. :lol:

I'm hoping that his videos are intended to be a tongue in cheek parody. That's the impression I get from watching the few that I've watched anyway. If they are intended to be serious, they are pathetically bad. :lol:

I'm definitely hoping for tongue-in-cheek myself, boo. The video is not exactly something a well-grounded person would take seriously. LOL I got a chuckle over the part where the "cryptozoologist" says that it's "well known" that aliens can use mind control, especially at low frequencies. Really, this is well known? Perhaps it's stated on an episode of Ancient Aliens or was in an old episode of The X-Files, but otherwise I must have missed the scientific journal or paper corroborating that fact with real-world evidence.

I must also admit to being amused by the term "cryptozoologist." I am always amused by it. It always strikes me as quite funny when people invent scientific-sounding terms for something that lacks scientific merit. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely hoping for tongue-in-cheek myself, boo. The video is not exactly something a well-grounded person would take seriously. LOL I got a chuckle over the part where the "cryptozoologist" says that it's "well known" that aliens can use mind control, especially at low frequencies. Really, this is well known? Perhaps it's stated on an episode of Ancient Aliens or was in an old episode of The X-Files, but otherwise I must have missed the scientific journal or paper corroborating that fact with real-world evidence.

I must also admit to being amused by the term "cryptozoologist." I am always amused by it. It always strikes me as quite funny when people invent scientific-sounding terms for something that lacks scientific merit. :rolleyes:

Finding animals that were thought to be imaginary hasn't all been in vain, kmt_sesh. Considering such examples as the Java Rhino (which is now extinct in Vietnam) and the Okapi.

cormac

Finding animals that were thought to be imaginary hasn't all been in vain, kmt_sesh. Considering such examples as the Java Rhino (which is now extinct in Vietnam) and the Okapi.

cormac

Aw, man, you're just trying to rain on my parade. Here I'm considered one of the "nice guys" of the skeptics, and the moment I get nasty, you put me in my place. :w00t:

No respect, I tell ya. No respect.

Aw, man, you're just trying to rain on my parade. Here I'm considered one of the "nice guys" of the skeptics, and the moment I get nasty, you put me in my place. :w00t:

No respect, I tell ya. No respect.

Harte must be rubbing off on you, ya ol' meanie! :P

• 2 weeks later...

post-123054-0-12720300-1320903453_thumb.

hey guys the co ordinates for this pic are 12.814035°/ 78.252684°.

this is in India...the drawing of the man is approx. 80 metres.

please let me know if anyone finds any info on this.

• 3 months later...

This is one of numerous threads at UM that seems to be immortal. It might appear to die and disappear, only to be resurrected at a later time. :devil:

A testament to the curiosity of mankind to seek out its origins when all the other crap doesn't seem to fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVidhmB0Fho

For all of you believers out there that come to this thread, and for all of you out there just visiting... here is a video that can help you in your search concerning Ancient Aliens. Godspeed in your searches for truth and don't let the gang of skeptics from this site steer you off of your path.

Edited by lyoung1101

The only think Sitchin is right about is in confirming the old saying "There's a sucker born every minute". There's no such thing as "Anunnaki" in Sumerian, only the Anuna gods who were deities of the Underworld. Nor is there any such planet as Nibiru, but Nibru/Nibiru IS another name for the city of Nippur in Iraq.

cormac

The only think Sitchin is right about is in confirming the old saying "There's a sucker born every minute". There's no such thing as "Anunnaki" in Sumerian, only the Anuna gods who were deities of the Underworld. Nor is there any such planet as Nibiru, but Nibru/Nibiru IS another name for the city of Nippur in Iraq.

cormac

If you were living around 1514 this is what you would've said about Nicolaus Copernicus and his Heliocentrism theory:

"The only thing Copernicus is right about is in confirming the old saying "There's a sucker born every mintue". There's no such thing as Heliocentrism. Dugh the Sun revolves around the Earth! I laugh at this idiot! ahahahahahaha!"

You are going to be on the wrong end of this coming paradigm shift my friend.

Edited by lyoung1101

In other words, you've got nothing but a desire to believe in a charlatan like Zecharia Sitchin. Sorry to hear that. Actual experts in the language of ancient Sumer have shown he didn't know what he was talking about. You can even search the following site and see that there is nothing to substantiate any of his claims concerning Sumerian texts:

The Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature (ETCSL)

cormac

"Ancient Aliens"=Fallen Angels (demons). They are extra-dimensional beings, not extra-terrestrial. I don't want to get into a spiritual debate, but all I can say is that they were never here to help us. I believe they are going to come back. Actually I believe they are here now, but there's going to be a time when everyone will know they are here and the skeptics are proven wrong.

I'm sure you ancient alien enthusiasts are aware of Genesis 6 "...and also after that." Well as in the days of Noah, so shall it be in the days of His second coming. They are here to DECEIVE us not to enlighten us. This is Satan's ultimate goal of deception to get people to believe they themselves are gods, and that Jesus Christ was no more than an enlightened being or a damned alien from another planet. I'm no saint, I'm no Bible thumper, I do my research, I have faith, I make educated guesses, I could be totally wrong. I know faith has no basis in fact, but if we are around when this happens, just be aware, be skeptical, don't believe everything anyone tells you. Don't believe what I tell you. Do your own research. Rely on your gut feeling.

If you were living around 1514 this is what you would've said about Nicolaus Copernicus and his Heliocentrism theory:

"The only thing Copernicus is right about is in confirming the old saying "There's a sucker born every mintue". There's no such thing as Heliocentrism. Dugh the Sun revolves around the Earth! I laugh at this idiot! ahahahahahaha!"

You are going to be on the wrong end of this coming paradigm shift my friend.

The difference between the sixteenth century and now is, we have modern science and the benefit of centuries of legitimate historical exploration and research.

Sitchin was an entertainer with a talent for writing and a knack for skewing evidence and misrepresenting history to suit his own agenda. Whether he actually believed the twaddle he wrote is anyone's guess, but he for sure made a decent living off it.

That Sitchin was wrong is beyond dispute. The average college freshman is probably suitably equipped to slash Sitchin's arguments to pieces. These arguments are comically transparent and flawed, on every level. The only paradigm shift that I've seen is how thinking and reasoning adults have abandoned basic logic and science, turned away from fundamental reality, and flung themselves at known charlatans like Sitchin and von Däniken. To me this is not only sad, it's disturbing.

But if you prefer your snake oil, I suppose that's your business. :rolleyes:

Rather than our just slinging slights at each other, lyoung1101, how about you present one of Sitchin's arguments that you personally find compelling. We can then present our own counter-argument, and we'll see from there who stands out the strongest. Cormac has already tried this a couple of times and I've yet to see you respond, so I don't know how well this might work.

Then again, this is something I've tried many, many times. The Sitchin pom-pom wavers are quick to stick up for him but are almost never willing to defend the specific points of his arguments, in the face of scrutiny. They toss out words like "paradigm shift" and other examples of the Woo Woo Credo (see #11) but never seem to be willing to apply an actual defense of position.

This is probably why I'm over-reatcing right now, and am being too negative. I'm just so tired of it. But by all means, lyoung1101, prove me wrong. You can be the one. Maybe we can start an actually useful debate. :tu: