Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia May Send Spacecraft to Deflect

behaviour???

Russia is considering sending a spacecraft to a large asteroid to knock it off its path and prevent a possible collision with Earth, the head of the country's space agency said Wednesday.

Anatoly Perminov said the space agency will hold a meeting soon to assess a mission to Apophis, telling Golos Rossii radio that it would invite NASA, the European Space Agency, the Chinese space agency and others to join the project once it is finalized.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Thanks

B???

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• danielost

• Grandpa Greenman

• Brakzar Break

That's interesting... Wasn't there a thread just very recently where someone had a very vivid dream of a meteor/asteroid striking because the space agencies failed in trying to fix the problem? (I can't find that thread)

Also, why are they doing this in the first place? I thought Apophis is going to miss us, anyhow.

Also, why are they doing this in the first place? I thought Apophis is going to miss us, anyhow.

According to the link, about a 1 in 250,000 chance of an impact in 2036. Not exactly a major risk.

According to the link, about a 1 in 250,000 chance of an impact in 2036. Not exactly a major risk.

But isn't there a chance that they will knock it so it collides with earth?

I wonder what the deflected particle ratio is of hitting the earth :unsure2:

But isn't there a chance that they will knock it so it collides with earth?

Only if they are completely incompetant. The low probability means that the current best estimate of closest approach is well away from the danger area, so all they have to do is make sure that any deflection takes it further away.

Or they could try to slow down the meteor for about 7 minutes, then the Earth would have time to get out of harms way.

Edited by Hazzard

I saw this clip a while back

I think it is a great idea. Even if Apophis isn't going to hit it is good to test the to see if the method they are using will work. You never know when we might encounter in the future. Good for the Russians.

Err, but what about the debris it will leave behind?

Those can fall to the Earth and it'll be like a meteor shower but dangerous.

But then again, there is the atmosphere. The pieces would disintegrate...

"Calculations show that it's possible to create a special purpose spacecraft within the time we have, which would help avoid the collision without destroying it (the asteroid) and without detonating any nuclear charges," Perminov said. "The threat of collision can be averted."

Doesn't sound like they are going to try to blow it up, just change its trajectory. If they are smart (and I think they are) that's what they will do.

Doesn't sound like they are going to try to blow it up, just change its trajectory. If they are smart (and I think they are) that's what they will do.

:yes:

I think it is a great idea. Even if Apophis isn't going to hit it is good to test the to see if the method they are using will work. You never know when we might encounter in the future. Good for the Russians.

Exactly, It would be interesting to see if NASA comes up with a plan like this in the near future.

Thanks

PotterManiac

since something like this affects the whole planet or at least might, shouildn't this be a joint effort.

and some of ya crazy americans don't even like russia and they're still trying to save the planet :tu:

and some of ya crazy americans don't even like russia and they're still trying to save the planet :tu:

Of course us crazy americans like Russia, The cold war is long over now and there are many joint efforts in space exploration but this mission is not nessesarily a needed mission so more power to them, I think they are doing this as a practice mission just in case of future dangers, The USA is also working out plans to deflect an asteroid but at this time I think its wraped up in red tape (funding) but we will be advanced enough to do the job of saving our lives and planet earth,

Of course us crazy americans like Russia

oh yes i forgot :unsure2:

the average americans i mean't :yes:

oh yes i forgot :unsure2:

the average americans i mean't :yes:

:lol::tu::lol:

I can see it Now A Target contest to See If the Russians ,or for that matter any other country Can Get a ICBM to Hit the Spot? Didnt we Go thru this 40 yrs ago?

People, I think you will find that the topic being discussed here is about the Russians planning to deflect an asteroid, NOT small minded prejudices and national stereotypes.

If some of the non-Americans could cut out the anti-USA rubbish and some of the Americans could cut out the anti-Russian rubbish we might manage to achieve three things here:

1. The thread might get back on topic.
  2. The intellectual level of the conversation might rise.
  3. The moderators might not have to intervene at some future point.

Thank you.

i will repeat my question before we got derailed.

since deflecting any astroid has a chance of putting it on a course to hit the earth rather than missing. shouldn't such an indever be an international effert.

since deflecting any astroid has a chance of putting it on a course to hit the earth rather than missing. shouldn't such an indever be an international effert.

As has been pointed out, the chances of this are absolutely minuscule. The risks are small and the benefits are many. Why would the risks be reduced if it was an international effort?

If the Russian's are prepared to pay for such a mission then why not let them. If other nations which to join in then I'm sure the Russians would welcome their participation. Most major space missions are to some extent international affairs these days.

As has been pointed out, the chances of this are absolutely minuscule. The risks are small and the benefits are many. Why would the risks be reduced if it was an international effort?

If the Russian's are prepared to pay for such a mission then why not let them. If other nations which to join in then I'm sure the Russians would welcome their participation. Most major space missions are to some extent international affairs these days.

something is supposed to destroy 2/3rds of the planet and i don't think it is going to be a nuke war.

something is supposed to destroy 2/3rds of the planet and i don't think it is going to be a nuke war.

Says who?

Are you trying to say that this should be an international mission simply because you believe in a daft prophecy? If so your logic escapes me totally.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf