Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extremism, Xenophobia Rising in Russia

DC09

MOSCOW - Semyon Tokmakov stretches out his hand and points to a thick scar he got from assaulting a black U.S. Marine six years ago. The attack cost him 1 1/2 years in jail, but Tokmakov says he has no regrets.

"We are waging a racial holy war," said Tokmakov, 28, an informal leader among Moscow's skinheads, whose violence appears to be rising.

Over the last several years, Russia has become a strikingly hostile place for all those with African, Asian or so-called Caucasian features — the dark skin and dark hair typical for the peoples of the mountainous Caucasus region.

The U.S. Marine was badly beaten in 1998 in a Moscow market, one of several foreigners targeted in recent years. The last few months have seen an especially shocking series of brutal racial attacks, such as the stabbing of a Guinea-Bissau student in the central Russian city of Voronezh, the killing of an Afghan asylum seeker in Moscow, and the slaying of a 9-year-old Tajik girl in St. Petersburg by suspected skinheads.

Ethnic minorities in Moscow complain that beatings and insults are almost a daily occurrence.

"Racially motivated crimes are growing in number and brutality by the year," Alexander Brod, head of the Moscow Bureau for Human Rights, told The Associated Press in an interview.

According to a two-year study conducted by Brod's bureau and a few other groups, there are about 50,000 skinheads in Russia, with the two biggest cities, Moscow and St. Petersburg, home to about 1,500 each. It said 20-30 people have died in such attacks annually in the past few years, and the number of such crimes is growing by 30 percent per year.

"When you kill cockroaches, you don't feel sorry for them, do you?" Tokmakov said, when asked whether he felt sorry for the slain Tajik girl.

Full Article

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erikl

• Talon

• jimma

• Curiosity

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, here we go again... disgust.gifWhy do people act like this??? wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

Didn't anyone learn from WW2 that fascism should be purged from our societies?

The ideology of the far-right has taken all the worst elements and most evil acts capable of humans, merged them and given them thought and form. This ideology has caused war upon war, murder upon murder, pitting people against one another on the basis of racial or ethnic 'purity'. The ideology promotes violence, and rewards the most depraved of crimes.

When on earth are we going to take out its followers and clean this plague of western civilisation once and for all, with a bullet through the head of those preaching this evil creed and education of our children so that they can learn from the warnings of the past.

Edited by Talon S.

I'm not usually the attack and take no prisoners type, but I think Talons' hit the nail on the head in this case..

stamps Dude You Rock on Talons forehead

Oh man, here we go again... disgust.gifWhy do people act like this??? wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

Most people are not too bright .

this thing always happens when a country is in a ****ty state

it happens everywhere, we just don't here about it

Sadly, having read the thoughts and views of some members on these pages over the last year, it's not just Russia where we find xenophobia. dontgetit.gif

Sadly, having read the thoughts and views of some members on these pages over the last year, it's not just Russia where we find xenophobia.

Couldn't have put it better myself, Cuffster!! thumbsup.gif

"The term Caucasian meaning the so-called white or European race originated with Johann Frederich Blumenbach (1752-1840), a German professor of natural history in Göttingen. Blumenbach is arguably the founder of scientific anthropology. He viewed mankind as an object of natural history--an animal like any other, although superior to the rest. He surveyed characteristics of human races, mapped their distribution, and invented comparative physiological anatomy". So whos right on the meaning of the word caucasian, Johann Blumenbach or the writer of the article? Also this article relates very strongly towards racism, facism etc, which is NOT the meaning of the word Xenophobia!

Psychologists use the term phobia, which comes from the Ancient Greek word for fear (φόβος, fovos), for a number of psychological conditions that can seriously disable their carriers.

..... of strangers (xeno-) and of the unknown.

xenophobia

Dictionary sources - Jeeves online dictionary

Edited by jimma

So whos right on the meaning of the word caucasian, Johann Blumenbach or the writer of the article?

Both are right on the meaning of Caucasian, I too thought 'But Caucasian means white, not dark skinned', so I checked the dictionary and it said something along the lines of 1. white race 2. people from the Causaus.

Talon, I agree with you 100% (first time... yay! tongue.gif )!

If the research mentioned in the article is correct, in 5 years we are going to see 250,000 skinheads (the modern equivelant of the Nazi SA) in Russia.

In 1933, when Hitler rose to power in Germany, the SA too had 1/4 million members... I hate to think of what it'll do to Russia's politics...

anyway, 20-30 people are murdered each year by these Nazi-b******* in Russia, and every year the casualties are rising in 30%. That means that in 6-5 years, 100-90 people will be murdered each year by Nazi terrorism...

this is too much "Germany '33"-like...

are we to expect a Fourth Reich in the form of Nazi Russia in 5 years? crying.gifohmy.gifph34r.gifscared.gifpo.gifmad.gifdisgust.gif

In 1933, when Hitler rose to power in Germany, the SA too had 1/4 million members... I hate to think of what it'll do to Russia's politics...

I don't know about 1933, but Noakes writes that by 1934 when the SS turned on the SA it had closer to 2 million and outnumbered the army's 140,000 men... which is terrifying.

Nazi-****** in Russia

Although I think you should edit out the vowels in that word, huh.gif I wont disagree with its use grin2.gif

are we to expect a Fourth Reich in the form of Nazi Russia in 5 years?

I don't think Russia is going to go Fascist on us, they lived under State Fascism (Stalinism) for 80 years, I don't think the majority of the population are willing go back to that again.

I don't know about 1933, but Noakes writes that by 1934 when the SS turned on the SA it had closer to 2 million and outnumbered the army's 140,000 men... which is terrifying.

Yes, after Hitler rose to power many Nazi supporters joined the SA, because it was much easier than joining the SS.

For example, in 1932, the SS had 52,000 members. A year later, by the end of 1933 (only a year after Hitler became Chancellor of Germany), it had 209,000 members!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to eastern europe and is scary for some dark skinned immigrants.

Half a century being locked in ,without seeing blackman,mongoloid on the street

makes some extremly xenophobic.,add to this very poor economy ,unemployment.

Montclair, this is hardly true.

The Soviet Union was a multi-ethnic country, very diverse in it's demography (about 800 different nations).

In 1989, there were 293 milion Soviet citizens. Today in Russia, there are only 140 milion people, 20% of them are not only non-Russian (ethnically) but are muslims (which means that they are dark skined - most muslims in Russia are Tatars or other central Asian people. There are almost no Slavic muslims).

So the Russians are familiar with "dark skined" people (that is - dark like Armenians and Caucasians) and Asians.

But it's just that Racism never really died there.... even in the seemingly atheist communist Soviet Union racism survived. disgust.gif

Montclair, this is hardly true.

The Soviet Union was a multi-ethnic country, very diverse in it's demography (about 800 different nations).

In 1989, there were 293 milion Soviet citizens. Today in Russia, there are only 140 milion people, 20% of them are not only non-Russian (ethnically) but are muslims (which means that they are dark skined - most muslims in Russia are Tatars or other central Asian people. There are almost no Slavic muslims).

So the Russians are familiar with "dark skined" people (that is - dark like Armenians and Caucasians) and Asians.

But it's just that Racism never really died there.... even in the seemingly atheist communist Soviet Union racism survived. disgust.gif

You right I totally forgot about Russia.I visited Poland ,E.Germany and encountered Racism and bigotry there.

Well, the Poloes hate both Russians and Germans, and since the 18th century ceased to be the tolerant nation they once were.

The E. Germans are totally anti-Communist and see Nazism as a natural canidate for their ideological hatred of communism.

So aside from blaming communism and the Jews (because they see the Jews as communists and communism as a Jewish thing) for their country's misfortune, they blame all immigrants as part of their neo-Nazi ideology.

But, ofcourse, one cannot stereotype an entire nation.

The description above fits mainly for poor youngsters who lack education an so are being easily tempted by neo-Nazi propagandists to join racist groups.

P.S - as a side note, I must say that seing Nazi Slavs is a paradox.... Hitler targeted Slavs together with Jews, Gypsies and other people for mass murder (although as oppose to Jews and Gypsies, he didn't plan to wipe out all Slavs, but to cut their numbers and make the survivors of those mass killings into slaves for the supposed Aryan race).

3 milion non-Jewish Poles lost their lives together with 3 milion Polish Jews (90% of Poland's Jewry perished in the Holocaust), in the same ways - slave camps, starvation, mass murder, and death camps.

May their memories be blessed.

Edited by Erikl

John Titor claimed that it will Russia who makes the nuclear strike killing billions?

I am still kinda skeptical; however, I keep reading more information about what he has said. Keep reading up^^^