Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

obscure hobbies

tendo

Another one of them TV-radio station bumpers, this is from RadioCadena Espanola from Spain played on the air in the 1980s. Honestly, this is good music and well organized narration.

• 1 month later...

I cast bullets from molten lead, for target shooting and plinking.

Back in 1974, I tried casting a silver bullet. I used old silver coins, with the dates worn off, purchased from a coin shop. It took my buddy and me all day to cast one .45-caliber silver bullet.

The problem is that silver melts at a much higher temperature than lead, so we had to also heat the mould to a dull, cherry red before the silver would flow into all the nooks and crannies of the mould, and fill out the cavity.

I loaded that one, perfect silver bullet into a .45 Long Colt cartridge case, over a charge of black powder. Fired it in a Ruger Blackhawk .45 revolver.

Missed the target at about 7 meters but we saw it strike the sand bank to the side. Digging out the bullet, we found it almost pristine, almost no deformation. Only a light trace of the rifling in the revolver's barrel showed on the bullet.

My theory: the silver was so much harder than lead that the rifling couldn't dig into the bullet very well. That's why the bullet struck off-target; it wasn't stabilized by the rifling.

Luckily, I didn't damage the mould heating it. I still have that mould and it works fine with lead.

Through the years, I've had numerous requests to make a silver bullet for someone. I always decline. It's too much of an exercise in frustration and I risk damaging an expensive mould.

But it was an interesting experiment.

If I start noticing vampires around my place, I'll just load a shotgun shell with silver 10-cent coins. Same effect, and it' much easier! :yes:

• Like 1

Not sure if it's a hobbie but I add numbers to get one number. Like license plates. If it reads 1234567 then I'd add them to get one number which would be 1...I think, haha. I've been doing it all my life for no reason. Crazy?

• 1 month later...

Karaoke! Yeah that's about it!

• 4 weeks later...

Karaoke! Yeah that's about it!

Ooooh! Singing for people who can't!

s5718.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm a member of my local curliwinks team.

It's a mixture of curling and tiddlywinks.

Please message me with more details.

(because I'll never find this thread again)

• 1 month later...

Continued...also recorded in the 1980s "Censored" portion during the Pinochet military regime in control of Chile in the 1970s and 80s, the infamous era of human rights violations.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzelQHW-zA

(Closing of the day 1995-96) Edited by Quake Storm Maverick 66er

Messing with locks and old safes.

fiddling with chemicals.

weird.

always tinkering.

• 1 month later...

From my TV network bumper collection: The ABC Australia Network (no relation to the American Broadcasting Company) covers a whole small continent of relay TV stations, as shown by the bumper features a directory of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0LRwYCTObA&feature=g-vrec

Edited by Quake Storm Maverick 66er

I like to collect golfballs. I just do. I don't know why but I got a good amount collected. One golfball is half gone. I like it because I think it's neat and I know what's inside a golfball.

Im a fish hobbiest . But Id like to do more unusual tanks.

I have done both fresh sand salt tanks .

I love making a true little ecosystem,with real plants,fish,crustaceans and mosses.

I seriously would like to try a huge tank with cuttle fish ,but that would take serious bucks $$$$.

I want to do a seahorse tank next .with seahorses and pipe fish .

I also want one of these ...

http://www.4fishtank.com/Table%20aquariums.htm

I like the half circle desk a lot,but the coffee tables are lovely too .

These tanks are just amazing .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

From last page, bumpers of Australia's channel seven, owned by Rupert Murdoch in his homeland, part of his multimedia empire including FOX network and Sky News in Britain.

• 2 weeks later...

and closer to home is KHJ, the top 40/pop/"soul radio" station of Southern California back in the 1960's, 70's and 80's played at 50,000 watts in evening hours heard across parts of the continent of North America.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ2XKhsS578[/media]

Edited by Quake Storm Maverick 66er

• 1 year later...

Pill bug races ?

Moe once had a pillbug. His name was Harry. Harry won many pill bug races. We had much fame and fortune. Then one fatefull day ( i think it was a tuesday) Moe accidently squashed poor Harry and his Lil wife Esther. They had been celebrating one of his victories in my left shoe. They must have gotten drunk and passed out there instead of returning to theri little pill bug hole.

Poor Harry. A master Pill Bug racer, reduced to nothing but a smear on my sock.

For you Harry :

tombstone-finsley-harry-and-esther.jpg

I am raising a pillbug farm with just one, now that the other one is lost. I wish I had more. Right now I'm in the process of building a playground for her. They make great pets.