Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Big freeze could signal global warming 'pause

behaviour???

Science is about being proven wrong. This is fundamentally how science works.

Exactly, the purpose is to try and falsify your hypothesis and theories, not to try and prove them.

Global warming=Moon landing=Kennedy assasination=PARANOID SPECULATION!

This in no way belongs in the science forum.

How much research has gone into the cause of global warming. It seems that all evidence points to it being caused by man... But what about the current cycle of the sun? Are the other planets warming up as well, or is that just a rumor, to distract?

How much research has gone into the cause of global warming. It seems that all evidence points to it being caused by man... But what about the current cycle of the sun? Are the other planets warming up as well, or is that just a rumor, to distract?

Research has been on going since the late 60's/early 70's the first published work was in the journal Science in 1974.

New Scientist has a good guide including myths around climate change

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11462-climate-change-a-guide-for-the-perplexed.html

Thanks

B???

gee i have been saying this all last year. i was told i didn't know what i was talking about.

I don't talk much about global warming because it's useless sometimes, but... Yes, it's caused by man and we have the proof in people like "SpiderCyde". People nowadays are ignorant and hypocrite. They'll never admit that something's happening with the planed because, you know, that would mean they need to change their lifestyles. That means they are doing something wrong... and they want to continue doing it, so "global warming my ass".

I'm just sorry for everything. We surely are an incredible being, but at the same time so dumb. Some of us really think that the human being is the center of the universe, thus being able to destroy the world we live in because, you know, we are never wrong, we're human! Let's continue with pollution and all those things... I mean, global warming my ass, right? Sorry, mother earth. And I'm not even into "activism"... But, you know, my two biggest dreams are to marry and to be a father/to have a family of my own. And I can't accept my children living in a world that's falling apart like that...

Edited by MitsuharuSan

The suns cycles have been shown to cause about a 1% variation in earth climate. This is calculated by the incident wattage variation per square meter vs suns output and distance. The changes are way beyond

that by now.

The MilanKovich cycles, which are used to predict these things, show that we should be entering a very cold patch by now, and instead we are warming.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Not really, our climate predictions have actually been quite accurate.

yes they have. the temp. around the world will be going up with some cooling taking place now and then. that just about covers the whole thing.

The suns cycles have been shown to cause about a 1% variation in earth climate. This is calculated by the incident wattage variation per square meter vs suns output and distance. The changes are way beyond

that by now.

The MilanKovich cycles, which are used to predict these things, show that we should be entering a very cold patch by now, and instead we are warming.

Br Cornelius

except that i said all last year that we would start to get colder since we are on the down ward swing of the 70 year cycle. i also said it would be about 30 years before it started to warm up again.

Thanks Mattshark, and Br Cornelius

Matt and Emma,

You both sound knowlegable,arrogant, and self important. The last two qualities are the main requisists in believing without doubt that humans are mainly or largley responsible for climate change, be it cooling or warming. Self importance is and always will be a fundemental flaw with humans perception of themselves.

It seems to me that the main driving force behind interpretations of the science being discussed here is funding. The scientists at the heart of the controversy would soon have been out of a cushy and prestigious job had they admitted that they not only didn't know which direction the climate was going, but also couldn't come up with a reason or a scapegoat.

Arguing with you is like arguing with a religious zealot. The people with an opposing view will never win because you can never be convinced that the source material upon which you base your views may not be correct.

Emma, I agree with you that regardless of the reality or lack thereof of human caused climate change, it is always better to be less obtrusive into the environment than more.

I don't see where I sounded "arrogant" or "self-important". You can't accuse someone of being over-serious with a subject like this - its probably the most important thing we have facing us at the moment, and attitudes (not yours btw) like "I don't trust governments therefore global warming isn't true" are dangerous to say the least.

Except that Professor Mojib Latif says that his research indicates nothing of the sort.

And how does this relate to what I said, a Thankyou?

Thanks

B???

Edited by behaviour???

OverSword,If you read the three links given below you will understand that Global Warming is happening and infact Real.Although most scientists are convinced that global warming is very real, a few still harbor doubts. But a new report, based on an analysis of infrared long-wave radiation data from two different space missions, may change their minds. "These unique satellite spectrometer data collected 27 years apart show for the first time that real spectral differences have been observed, and that they can be attributed to changes in greenhouse gases over a long time period," says John Harries, a professor at Imperial College in London and lead author of the study published today in Nature(quoted from Link)

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

carbon-emissions.gif

Human activities are most likely causing global warming according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report. The results of this report are significant since the IPCC is the leading group of scientist that evaluate climate change-related research.

On a related note,Both the sides of this discussion are capable of arguing their points but it must be made in a civil and suitable way and it must be identified that since this forum contains diverse group of people, that group which is against a particular fact don't become ignorant.Let us keep this discussion civil , on topic and in perfect norms

Thanks

B???

I don't see where I sounded "arrogant" or "self-important". You can't accuse someone of being over-serious with a subject like this - its probably the most important thing we have facing us at the moment, and attitudes (not yours btw) like "I don't trust governments therefore global warming isn't true" are dangerous to say the least.

My apologies about the arrogant comment and really I should have directed it more towards humans in general. However I just dont believe that the argument that man is the main driving force of climate change, be it warming or cooling or both is likley accurate. I view it as propaganda and just want to point out that throughout history there have been warming and cooling cycles ranging from mild to extreme, and this has been going on for eons. Humans have had the technology to examine in any detail this phenom, for a very short time and probably are not quite to the point where we truly see the larger patterns and cycles, and our understanding of all of this is in it's infancy. Long after we are gone the earth and it's weather will still be here.

behaviour, the argument is not if global warming is real, but how great an influence humans have on it.

behaviour, the argument is not if global warming is real, but how great an influence humans have on it.

Something what I pointed out in the third Link and the graph and I dont think you was patient enough to read it

Thanks

B???

My apologies about the arrogant comment and really I should have directed it more towards humans in general

As if that dont mean arrogancy, Arrogancy have the same meaning wherever you use it

Further More Proof

Scientists agree: Humans causing global warming

Thanks

B???

co2 lvls are still lower than they have been in the past. co2 lvls are not that much higher than the last peak about 100,000 years ago.

co2 lvls are still lower than they have been in the past. co2 lvls are not that much higher than the last peak about 100,000 years ago.

Erm, yes they actually are

720px-Co2-temperature-plot.svg.png

Erm, yes they actually are

720px-Co2-temperature-plot.svg.png

i have looked at this whole chart and the temps have become stable. some years higher some years lower but not any higher or lower than they have been in the last 300 years. and from the late 1700's when the world wide temps dropped 1 degree to the late 1800's when they dropped another degree to the late 1900's when they have gone up 1 degree i believe we are still 1 degree below normal.

This in no way belongs in the science forum.

Neither does man-made global warming, it should go in the Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs section.

i have looked at this whole chart and the temps have become stable. some years higher some years lower but not any higher or lower than they have been in the last 300 years. and from the late 1700's when the world wide temps dropped 1 degree to the late 1800's when they dropped another degree to the late 1900's when they have gone up 1 degree i believe we are still 1 degree below normal.

Your point was that CO2 levels are not unusually high, it was demonstrated that you were incorrect and you chose to ignore the point and try to change the subject. Poor show.

Br Cornelius

Neither does man-made global warming, it should go in the Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs section.

Feel free to search the papers I have posted and tell why they are not science, until then you have no case.