Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis stories

Caligraphy

never had one....

i would like to experience it though....

never had one....

i would like to experience it though....

Just imagine being a head connected to a motionless body. Even though I knew what was happening there was nothing fun about it.

• Like 1

this has happened to me quite a lot, the first time I experienced sleep paralysis, I could not move or speak, I became very cold and felt like someone was leaning over me, I could hear a horrible buzzing sound and there was a girl sitting across the room, I was terrified, the last time I had it was 2 nights ago, again I could not move or speak, I was cold. I could hear someone breathing (other than myself) and I could feel myself being pulled out of the bed, I wasn't actually moving but it felt like I was being pulled. it is the scariest thing ever!

Hi there,

I've been experiencing sleep paralysis for quite a long time now. Whenever I slept in the dark (with a dimmed light outside my bedroom's window, still it was pretty dark), I tend to feel something pushing down my body. I felt like I was buried within my whole bed....or the bed just 'swallowed' me.. I was pretty sure I did not see any 'demons' sitting on top of me. All I can see was the ceiling, and I presume that I was conscious. This sleep paralysis experience was way too frightening. Now I had to either stay up late till morning, or turn the lights on. For now, I have a better chance to sleep peacefully with the lights on.

• Like 1

I've experienced SP on and off since high school. My paralysis is usually very brief but it always fees intense. I always wake up and I can't open my eyes and it feels like I can barely breathe, so I just try to stay calm and after a few seconds or so I fall back asleep and wake up the correct way. But when it does happen it always makes me feel so freaked out, like I'm fully aware of my surroundings and I desperately want to move around and call for help but I'm completely helpless and I feel like I'll be trapped in that state forever...it's scary how your body works against you like that.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was younger, I can remember waking up having this feeling that I couldn't move or speak. I tried yelling for my mom, but nothing came out of my mouth. I tried to go back to sleep but i couldn't. I could feel and see killer bees and a strange man standing around me. It never happened after that but it was an incredible feeling that is hard to describe. But, to be honest, I hope it never happens again.

Meh, I'd gladly accept sleep paralysis if it meant being able to Lucid Dream. I think.

Meh, I'd gladly accept sleep paralysis if it meant being able to Lucid Dream. I think.

Not if you had terrifying lucid dreams.

• Like 1

Not if you had terrifying lucid dreams.

Isn't the point of lucid dreams to have the subject in control? I'd hope to refrain from having 'terrifying lucid dreams', but there's always a case, I guess.

I know little about lucid dreams, believe me. I just like to imagine that you're essentially omnipotent in them. Of course, that's just my ceaseless anticipation.

Lucid dreams can be like that but not always. Sometimes you can lose control in them and they become worse than a regular nightmare.

• Like 1

About 20 years ago, when I was married, I was getting ready for work and heard a strained hysterical sobbing from the bedroom.

Entering, I saw the wife, one arm held up in defense, lying in bed with eyes so fearful and mouth wide open emitting a barely audible scream.

She was focused on a spot just above her and began whimpering. I realized she was having some kind of nightmare and tried to wake her but she then began swatting the air and finally let out a real womanly scream as she seemed to snap out of a trance.

She burst into tears and told me she saw a giant hairy spider with huge fangs, getting closer and closer, and she couldn't move her legs.

I've had a few sleep paralysis experiences. Some of them were quite soon after each other. I might share them all here so you can see what I did to stop them and how I generally act when it happens. I'll post them in the order I had them(I date all my dreams/experiences).

The first one I called My Azazel.. dream. I posted it ages ago and it was dreamt somewhere before the 15th of March 2008. This post below is the oldest detailed writing of it that I could find. There is an older shorter version but detail is better. Anyway this ones from here.. http://www.unexplain...0

Oh man I had one of those Old Hag dreams last night. I rarely get those.. I think its the second one I've ever had. I even went fully lucid and still couldnt do anything. I havent been able to sleep very good the last few nights cause I've got a flu or something, and last night I was watching the clock tick over every half an hour pretty much. At about 5:44 I mustve dosed off and I went into dreams straight away..

First I dreamt I stood up in my room and I was possessed.. I could feel this evil thing in me and I said to myself in a different voice(deep and evil sounding and like it had 100 other voices) that "I'm back and its time to have some fun". I felt like it wasnt even me standing up and it was really like I was possessed. Then I mustve woken up again or moved or something because I was back in bed and I felt I got punched on my right shoulder quite hard but I couldnt move to see what it was( I think I woke up in real life at that stage because it felt very real). It's hard for me to type this dream because it was all over place and I kept waking up and then going straight back into it.. anyway.. I then dreamt something like I was up at my parents house and I was trying to knock on the door(at about 5 in the morning)and then I found myself back at home I think or somewhere where my parents were telling me I had actually banged on the door in real life, which freaked me out because I then thought I had driven in my sleep in real life to do it.. So I felt like I was going mad and I couldnt tell what was real and what wasnt.

Anyway then I was back in bed and I couldnt move at all but I could see a black figure or something sitting next to the bed not too far away.. I got really angry at it because I couldnt move and I felt it was a demon and it was like I was drunk and couldnt stand up or anything. So I was yelling at it and saying that it was a.. wimp.. lol.. and I wasnt scared so much just annoyed and I was trying to make it feel as if it must be a wimp if it wont let me move to take it on. lol. So I was yelling at it and saying "come on ....!" and stuff like that while trying to stand up. Kinda makes me laugh now cause even when I know I'm getting my *** kicked I still mouth off. Like I really felt it was demon hey.

Anyway I went fully lucid after awhile because I couldnt stand and it just triggered me off. And even when I was fully lucid I could hardly move. I found a metal bar which was above the bed(not one in real life)and I was holding it and trying to pull myself up with it, but I still couldnt raise myself up.. I could only move my arms alittle. Then I remember seeing a small donkey which was in the corner of the room.. it was only about knee high and was more like dog size. It was smiling at me and I was thinking "you little ****g donkey I'm gonna get you too".. And because I was lucid I started to just try to use my mind to attack it instead of standing up. Like what I did was I used my fingers as guns(twin revolvers) and pointed them at the donkey and started to go "pew pew" lol... and it made the donkey move as if the bullets where landing just near its feet. So it began to move away and the further down the hallway it went(I was leaning out of bed almost at that stage) the more I kept.. shooting at it. lol. But the bullets everytime just landed near its feet and it was moving away very slowly like it was playing with me. It was showing me its donkey *** the mofo and I was just wishing I could stand up(it actually had a goat tail though.. it was like a cross between a donkey and a goat).

I mustve stood up somewhere along the line because I remember it was like trying to walk when really really drunk but my body was arched over so even though I was standing at some point I was arched over on almost a right angle. It was also like trying to walk through water so it was slow motion. Then I found myself in bed again and I was yelling at these images(it felt like the demon was changing its form constantly) and I just kept telling it that it was a wimp(but with slightly more colouful language), and that if the best it could do was hit me when I cant move.. then its a wimp demon.. and you wait till I stand up and get my control back.

Then I saw Captain John Luke Picard walk past the door.. lol(I have no idea where that came from hey).. and that was the only time I had full control so I used it and I stood up and ran over and just started to punch him in the back of his bald head. I hit him so many times and everytime I hit him he just moved forward from the strike until I had him in my kitchen. But that stage didnt last long and I just found myself back in bed again fully lucid and not being able to move again. It was super frustrating and I was just waiting for the sunlight to come into my room so that I would wake up in real life and not have to try to deal with this demon thing.

The next two I'll post in one post because they were quite soon after each other. I've posted them here somewhere awhile ago. These are out of my dream journal. Here is a link to one of them though.. http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74640&st=420&p=3392099entry3392099

23rd April 2010

I had a dream last night which was like when I had sleep paralasis and I manage to actually stand in the dream. Hard to word but I was walking around half drunk as if affected by something and I could only see slightly. I dont remember much but it happened a few times and it was like that time when I had the same thing but I managed to pull myself out of bed. This time it was more like I was walking instead of being paralised so almost like dreaming of sleep paralasis but actually breaking through the control and being able to move. So I was half moving around and only seeing out of one eye I think cause I remember thinking I had been blinded or something.

I just remember following a guy who I think was walking around my house and I was telling him that why doesnt he fight me while Im in full control instead of attacking me with this(meaning being drunk like in the dream). So I was basically looking for him knowing I couldnt fight very well in this state but I wasnt going to let it stop me. Like when you know you can completely crush an opponent and so you are not afraid of them and I was just walking(struggling)and calling him a wimp basically for not taking me on while Im in full control.

Then it was like I got full control and it was like I had a false awaking and I thought I had woken up so thats why I could move ok again and I was talking to an old friend. Then it was like I found myself back to where I couldnt see and I realised I had never actually woken up.

I think the first time I was in my house but I dont know. I just remember thinking that the other person shouldnt be and that even though I was basically blinded and couldnt walk(like being super drunk)I still went looking for him to kick him out.

27th April 2010 (continued from Sleep Paraysis 23rd April) Maybe even linked to 'Silenced' dream from years ago cause of the whispering.

I had a lucid dream last night and it was quite odd. It was a mixture of sleep paralysis and lucidity. I think I dreamt it because I didnt sleep the best which keeps me on the edge of waking/sleeping and because I had been thinking about lucid dreaming before I went to sleep. It was also almost a continuation from a sleep paralysis dream I had only on the 23rd of this month.

Anyway I dreamt last night that I found myself opening the laundry door to go outside and once I was almost outside I heard two voices talking to each other which sounded like people I didnt want to meet. I thought I was sleep walking or something at first at about 5ish in the morning and so I shut and locked the door and then sat down near the door so that I could hear what the people were saying. I noticed both doors in the room where shut so I was shut in and when I saw that I didnt understand why and so it triggered me into going lucid. I knew I was dreaming anotherwords because I was wondering why I was sitting in the laundry at 5 in the morning. So I stood up and held my arms out infront of me like an egyptian mummy does and I walked straight through the door leading outside like a ghost does as my reality tester.

Then I thought what do to for fun so I flew straight up about 30 meters and into a dark storm cloud which woke me up straight away.

Then I found myself back in my bed and I was paralyzed and I was listening to a person who was in my room who was whispering a different language at me which sounded rather spooky. I took it as a threat anotherwords and so I tried to get out of bed and it was like trying to stand up with only being able to move my arms. I ended up being half out of bed and on the floor and I was saying to the person in my room that they are a basically a wimp if they have to paralyzed me to attack me and things along those lines(this happened to me the other night as well and I managed to get out of bed and chased them through my laundry door).. Anyway this time I thought I would try something different and so I went to trick them and I pretended to just ignore them and to go back to sleep. So I shut my eyes in the dream(like a dream of paralysis)and I waited for about 10 seconds before I suddenly leap out of bed in one quick motion with the intent to fight. Which worked really well.

Anyway then I think I mustve woke up again because I then dreamt I was laying down on a couch smoking a cigarette(and I dont smoke cigarettes)and I had almost finished it and I was holding it up and looking at it with detail saying how realistic it all felt and I was actually enjoying smoking it. And I was pretty sure I was dreaming which is why I was looking at it with such detail and to prove that I was dreaming I put the cigarette out on my forearm and didnt feel any pain. Then I mustve woken up again and I dont remember much more.

It was a weird night for me and it was one of those nights where I was having false awakenings/paraysis but this time I actually tricked whatever it was that felt like it was holding me down. I basically played dumb and then struck and it left. It was very weird but worked a treat.

Edited by Kazahel

Ok only a few more. These were also around the same time.

I had a really weird one last night and I actually think it was somewhat connected to my last dream posted here.

It started with another sleep paralysis dream which is like dreaming but having paralysis in the dream(feels like on the verge of OBE). It started at my old house but then was in where I am now and my son was with me during it and I was aware that I was having a shared dream with him. I'll try keep this dream short because its quite long but eventually I ended up trying to pinch my astral body enough that it would wake me up which worked. At one point I managed to stand in the dream and looked in a mirror and saw one eye was like a cats eye and the other had brown spots in it. Anyway after I woke up after pinching myself I felt a presence in my room and this time I asked it what it wanted instead of trying to fight against it.

Then I went back to sleep and into a dream..

It continues from there and can be found here.. http://www.unexplain...7

I had one of those sleep paralysis dreams last night where I am fighting to get out of bed because I know someone is in my house. I managed to get up but it was like the last times where I walk with my back almost on a right angle. Last night though I grabbed both the weapons that I keep right next to my bed and so in my left hand I had a flick out baton and in my right hand I had my butterfly knife. When I got up I looked and could see a window was broken down the hallway where in real life there is no window and I could see the curtain(where there is no curtain)was blowing inside to show that the window was broken and someone was inside. I kept going from being in bed to struggling to stand but eventually I was standing and getting my butterfly knife ready and I couldnt flick out the baton because I didnt have enough strength to actually do it. I knew I was in astral but I could only really use the knife.

Then I saw a guy come into my room who had a completely bald head but he was young about 20yrs old. He was only slim and not as tall as me and he didnt say a word. I felt threatened so I stabbed him in the heart with the first stab and then with the second I stabbed him again on the same side but slightly under incase I had missed his heart in the first stab. Then I stabbed the other side in the same way, first I stabbed high and then I stabbed lower. So I stabbed him four times and I knew that was enough to kill him so I then just watched him. He sat down I think with his back against my bedroom wall and just looked at me without saying a word. He never spoke and he almost was smiling like he wanted to actually be friendly but I cant help but kill anyone who breaks into my house like that(even though I said last time this happened that I would try talking). I wasnt sure afterwards if I shouldve just talked but I just felt threatened and I was actually worried because I thought that he had maybe gone into the kitchen to grab a knife because I knew he shouldve been in my room by now and I heard someone moving in the kitchen.

Then almost straight away after that I found myself in another country, I think I was in Paris but I'm not sure. I was near a building with white walls and it was like a regal style building like a consulate building or a public office or something. It had high white walls with a black steel spiked fence around it and also above it on the roof. Anyway I found myself running as a beast thing but this time I ran straight up the wall to reach the roof. So I ran up the left corner of the front of the building and ran straight up about 5 stories up the wall until I reached the roof. Then I ran along the edge of the roof top and I remember touching the spikey fence. I dont remember much more after that though. I almost felt like one of those stone creatures(Gargoyles)that perch themselves at the top of a building. I remember thinking that when I was up there but I dont know what made me think to climb like that. I just did it.

That one is found here.. http://www.unexplain...4

I had a sleep paralysis experience/dream again last night, it was weird.

I dreamt I was in my room in bed and I couldnt move my body. I knew I was having sleep paralysis and I was trying to fight against it and get out of bed. At one stage there was a cat in my room and it was pawing at the venietian blinds how cats do when they want to look outside. It kept doing this and making that annoying noise of the blinds and I was just watching it. While I was watching it I also saw a black shadow thingy which flickered and changed as it flickered. It looked like the skeleton of a creature but that was what the creature was. Almost like a small black dragon thingy and I could mainly make out its spine.

At one stage I was almost out of the paralysis, I was on the floor near the window trying to stand up but I had that thing I get where I can only half move and its very difficult(like being really drunk). Then I was back in bed again and I heard a really scary sounding voice. It was probably the scariest voice I've ever heard and it spoke not loud but not soft either. It was a very deep male voice and it said to me something like "You cannot get out of your body at this stage". (something like that) It felt like the devil himself had spoken to me because it was that kind of voice and really quite freaky.

After this I said to it that then I shall have an OBE. So it was like I was on the edge of waking up, dreaming and OBE and I was trying to stand up in the dreaming stage but I couldnt do it. So when he said I couldnt get out of my body I then thought instead of using strength to force myself out I will relax and think my way out and into an OBE. So I relaxed and I wasnt really scared of the voice so much, I thought of it as a scary sounding teaching voice even though it did have an element of mockery about it. I also remembered that I had broken out of paralysis before and gone into like an OBE/dream experience(I find it hard to tell the difference sometimes)and I think I said that to him.

Anyway so I relaxed and started to focus on my body and trying to imagine myself sitting upright. I was lying on my side though so I was imagining trying to sit upright on the side and when I was doing this my ears started to pop. So it was like my ears got blocked and then unblocked and the more I tried to think about sitting up in bed the more my ears did this. Then they did this very rapidly and it was like a fluttering sensation with unblocked and blocked happening so fast. Then I heard my son sleep talking in the other room but in a worried manner and I thought I had to get to him to see what was near him and I was trying to use that as a way to will myself out more.

Then all a sudden it stopped and I was just awake.

Then I went back to sleep and went into a dream where I was trying to sleep on my back in a strange bed which had orange and yellow sheets and was outside under the sun. I knew I was dreaming but I just stayed there on my back and I pulled the sheets up to cover my eyes so I could see through them but that no-one could see me. So I only had enough open area to breath. I figured that whoever it was that was with me in the sleep paralysis, they would use this time now to come to me in my dream. I thought they would not be able to help themselves so I waited and pretended to be asleep.

I didnt wait very long before a woman came over and looked down closely at me. I forget most of what happened afterwards but I remember her reaching down to touch my face and I think I grabbed her hand to surprise her. After this I dont really remember much, the dream continued though but I lost my lucidity.

Found here.. http://www.unexplain...00#entry3992687

Then the last one not too long ago I tried something different in the end.

I had a sleep paralysis dream last night. I was finding it hard to sleep at about 4:30 AM. Eventually I fell into a sleep paralysis. I couldnt move and I had the feeling of someone evil in the room with me. After a little I managed to break out of the paralysis by just using my mind to move. I think the first time I got out I looked up at the clouds and called for God but then I found myself back in the bed in my body.

I couldnt move again and I was inbetween being awake and asleep so I made myself go back out of body. I was at the foot of the bed and this time I was pretty angry and was saying to the presence to show itself and fight me. I was challenging it even though I was finding it tricky to move and to see. I even used that stupid teenage saying "come at me bro!" which was meant as a joke and to annoy it but it was also meant seriously as if fight me.

Then I think I went back into my body in bed but I made myself go out again and this time I walked towards the lounge room. It was still dark and my eyes were flickering light like a strobe light as a way for me to see. I started to search the house and was noticing things were misplaced, so I saw a kitchen cupboard in the hallway and things like this.

Then I walked towards my sons room because I started to feel that it had gone into there. Outside his open door was the fan that I sleep next to which was hovering in the air about head height. It had no cover covering the blades and it was turned on and I think was meant to be a threat. Thinking about it afterwards it was kinda spooky looking but when I saw it I just punched it smack right in the middle of the moving blades and knocked it to the floor.

I walked in and my sons room was all different and more like how it was when he was about 4yrs old. Then I found myself back in my bed and I made myself go back out of the paralysis and I was standing near the head of the bed looking at the wall. I could feel the evil presence standing right next to me so I said to it something like " sorry I get angry at ya" "do you want to be friends?". I said this because I couldnt see it anyway and I felt it was pointless in attacking it and that maybe it wanted to be friends with me.

And I dont remember much after that. I think I just went into a dream which I do remember but wont bother telling.

Found here.. http://www.unexplain...90#entry4288590

So yeah, I've had a few and dealt with them in my own ways. But maybe now we're friends. :)

Edited by Kazahel

I'll throw in my most terrifying hypnagogic hallucination that unfortunately involved sleep paralysis experience. It's short and simple.

I woke up and heard two guys poking around in my living room. I immediately knew two people had broken into my apartment. I tried to get up but I couldn't move. I thought I was frozen in fear.

I then heard them talking. I could hear every word.

"Hold on. You hear that? Someone's in there."

"You said he wasn't home. Wadda we do?"

"We gotta take care of him."

I then listened to them quietly argue over who was going to kill me and which method would cause the least amount of noise. They decided to strangle me. Then there was silence for I don't know how long. I layed there immobile waiting for them to come in and kill me. Eventually it dawned on me that I was having the worst hypnagogic hallucination ever and right on cue I was able to move again. My sheets were soaked in sweat (fortunately only sweat).

Sound like fun? Hell no. You don't want experiences like this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was high summer and one night it was so hot that I couldnt fall asleep. I lay on my bed like one or two hours, starring into the darkness and my mind floated away. I regained conciousness when I suddenly heard a strange sound. It was like atelephone beep pulsing in my ears getting louder and louder. I wanted to move but huh?? I couldnt move my body (at the time I didnt know anything about SP). Still with my eyes open I wanted to groan and finally scream but nothing came out. I dont know how long it lasted. The sound became incredible loud. And with great effort and will power I managed it to jump up and everything disappeared. The first thing I did after that was turning the light on in my room. :)

• Like 1

Hi emy, i too had been experiencing the same thing but normally i always hear people talking but a langguage that i don't know. Went to the hospital stayed for 3 days but the result was none. All doctors write of as being too stressed. And it doesn't end yet.

The moment i went home the same night it happened again the only difference was i can move my eyes but not the rest. Nowadays it doesn't occur to me more than before. Hope to get an answer and how to avoid this things on occuring.

And with great effort and will power I managed it to jump up and everything disappeared. The first thing I did after that was turning the light on in my room. :)

In almost cases as soon as I realize what's happening, the dream instantly stops. As soon as I see something illogical or impossible, it's as if something in my brain turns back on, I realize what's really going on and the experience instantly ends. Unfortunately I've had a couple that didn't clue me in and went on longer than I wish they had.

Thought i would share my story as i've been reading about sp since it happened to me last night. It was seriously the scariest thing that's ever happened to me. I'd been asleep about an hour when i woke up lying on my back which i've now realised can be a trigger for sp, even though i never actually fall asleep in this position. I could open my eyes though my visionwas kind of blurred. I didn't see anything but i could hear footsteps above me, sounded like they came from the loft. My house creaks all the time but these definitely sounded like footsteps. I couldn't move anything, i kept trying to turn my head and to sit up but i just felt like something was holding me to the bed. I was so so scared. The footsteps sounded like they were getting louder and then it sounded like i could hear somone breathing near me, kind of like raspy breathing. Eventually i was able to force myself to sit up and ran downstairs and just cried. I was so shaken up.

The weird thing is, my 5yr old daughter used to sleep in this room and a few times i would check on her and her eyes would be wide open and she would be kind of shaking but unresponsive, i always figured she was having some kind of bad dream and she never remembered it the next day. But a week ago i moved my two children into my old room so they could have a bigger room and i moved into her room. Every night since i've had very very vivid weird dreams and 2 nightmares and now this. My rational mind knows it is all just my mind playing tricks on me when sleeping but part of me can't shake the strange coincidence. Kind of scared of going to sleep tonight now, which i know is silly and makes things worse but it was really scary.

How do people not sleep on their backs? I always wake up on my back no matter how I fall asleep. Do I need to tie an arm to something?

I've experienced sleep paralysis regularly since starting university. Some can be really scary for example I had one episode when i woke up in my own room unable to move as my chest felt compressed and i felt weighed down. When i looked up I saw a small figure crouching over on my chest. I couldn't really tell what exactly it was as it was dark but I was aware it was looking straight at me as I could see it's eyes and although this sounds unrealistic I swear it had yellow eyes and little pointy horns. Despite this it didn't scare me as I was so exhausted I fell back to sleep. I remember it so well despite been months ago but I've heard it's a common experience of sleep paralysis.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have sleep paralysis. And I don't sleep often at all but if I do it almost always results in sleep paralysis. A few weeks ago, my best friend died. The night after I found out I fell asleep for about an hour or two. When I woke up I was paralyzed, and gasping for air. My eyes were heavy but I could open them. I saw my best friend Lesley standing at the foot of my bed. Then demons took her away. She made no sounds or movements as they were taking her. Demons surrounded my bed and tortured me. I heard whispers. I tried screaming but nothing came out. After a few minutes of which seemed like a lifetime the demons disappeared. As if they evaporated into thin air. My whole body jerked and then I regained movement. The next week I had the almost exact experience.

I've experienced sleep paralysis and it was terrifying!! It hasn't happened recently. The few times I've experienced sleep paralysis was after my sister passed. I felt awake and was frozen with fear unable to move or speak. I've never experienced anything like it!!I remember looking at the ceiling and felt awake and conscious stuck in nightmare! . I kept trying to move a limb or speak but wasn't able to. Felt like I weighed 1000 pounds. It felt like a negative force had hijacked my body. I can't explain the feeling but you know it when it happens to you. I have never felt so panicked and it took all of my strength to move and pull myself out.

• Like 1

Sleep paralysis has happened me many times

Intrestingly it hasn't happened to me in about three years maybe longer. most of the time my eyes were closed and i could not move at all. Only a few times were my eyes actually open while this was going on. The wierdest paralysis moment for me occured when i seen myself floating above me. It was very strange indeed.