Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scratching in the walls -

make me believe

Hello,

I grew up an updated and expanded farmhouse in Illinois. I have returned from college in Florida and I currently live (and am writing from) my old bedroom, trying to get sleep.

The reason I started this thread is because I can't figure out where - or why - or how - this scratching noise is coming from inside the walls of my house. It honest to god sounds like an animal gnawing or sharpening its teeth, but the fact that the noise always starts up when I am trying to relax or sleep has me perplexed. It recently moved from the living room floor to inside the wall of my bedroom on the 2nd floor. NOW IT STOPPED, AFTER 30 Minutes of scratching!!!

Just wondering if someone else has experienced this... If it's not Mr. Squirrel, what the hell is it!?!?

Thanks

It probably is animals gnawing on wood. I'd definitely go with the theory that it's rats or squirrels, rather than leap to some paranormal or supernatural explanation. Call an exterminator.

• Thanks 1

It sure does sound like a mouse or something similiar. A few weeks ago whenever I went into my garage I could hear a 'rustling' sound and I was a little bit 'spooked' it did turn out to be a mouse!

Best wishes

star of the Sea

• Thanks 1

My guess is a rodent. Same thing happened to me about a year ago. I tried baited traps and such and I never could catch the bugger. It must have died or the cat got it because it stopped suddenly one day and I haven't heard it since. I was never spooked because I realized right away what it was but it sure was annoying when I would try to sleep and hear the gnawing/chewing going on and I couldn't stop it. ^_^:tu:

• Thanks 1

rats.. they are loud as. not too sure if you have possums where you are (possibly o-possums) so not too sure on their size and destuctive nature

• Like 1

Since it appears when you try to relaxo r sleep it is a possible case of Auditory hallucination as a result of mil hynagogic hallucination.Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on – or summations of – their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject’s own ‘inner voice’, or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.

Hypnagogic Hallucination

Thanks

B???

Yeah its just some kind of animal or rodent i can't think of it being anything to do with the supernatural world but the part how it followed you made me wonder

I had it years ago and it just turned out to be rats just as i was getting into the supernatural buisness

• Like 1

so everyone is claiming that its probably just animals creeping around. but i am also experiencing this too. it happens every night to me and its been happening for about 2 months now. no joke. as im about to fall asleep there is a scratching noise in the walls and a taping noise on my window. with there being snow right now i have checked to see if there are any foot prints outside of my window and nothing. every night as im about to fall asleep the noises start and they also go for about 30 minutes then it gets quiet again for about another 10 minutes or so, as im about to fall asleep again the noises start up again. its gotten to the point im only getting about 3 hours a night. i was in a relationship with this guy (((who i broke up with 2 months ago right before this all happened))) who actually hunts and interacts with ghosts and demons... and because of him i was having spirits following me every where i went. i had to go and get blessed and i had a necklace of mine that was.. how can i really put this.. but like my necklace was charmed so to speak. i had a good friend of mine put a protection spell over me and whenever i was to wear this specific necklace nothing was able to bother me. well these noises started happening about 2 months ago and the noises started out very quiet and i only heard them once and a while. a little over a month ago i decided to take the necklace off, i was going out with some friends and it didnt look too great with my outfit so i changed necklaces that night. i left it sitting at my house in the bathroom on the counter when i arrived home that night i went to get the necklace and put it back on. well the necklace was gone. and i havent seen it since that night i took it off.

i have talked to a few of my friends about all of this happening. and they are thinking that my ex whom i dumped right before this stuff started happening sent something after me, not necessarily to hurt me but to freak me out.. and im starting to believe that its true....

sooo maybe what you have in your house really is just animals.. but i know what i have is definitely not animals.. i have seen things following me many times before. i would be driving down the road with a friend and all the street lamps would suddenly shut off and one would come back on and start flickering and there would be something underneath the flickering light staring at us. the light would go off again and then all of the street lamps just flicked back on and whatever the thing was, was gone again...

so i dont really know what to tell you about your whole situation.. but i know how your feeling about it. and hopefully it is something that can be taken care of.

..good luck.

• Haha 1

so everyone is claiming that its probably just animals creeping around. but i am also experiencing this too. it happens every night to me and its been happening for about 2 months now. no joke. as im about to fall asleep there is a scratching noise in the walls and a taping noise on my window. with there being snow right now i have checked to see if there are any foot prints outside of my window and nothing. every night as im about to fall asleep the noises start and they also go for about 30 minutes then it gets quiet again for about another 10 minutes or so, as im about to fall asleep again the noises start up again. its gotten to the point im only getting about 3 hours a night. i was in a relationship with this guy (((who i broke up with 2 months ago right before this all happened))) who actually hunts and interacts with ghosts and demons... and because of him i was having spirits following me every where i went. i had to go and get blessed and i had a necklace of mine that was.. how can i really put this.. but like my necklace was charmed so to speak. i had a good friend of mine put a protection spell over me and whenever i was to wear this specific necklace nothing was able to bother me. well these noises started happening about 2 months ago and the noises started out very quiet and i only heard them once and a while. a little over a month ago i decided to take the necklace off, i was going out with some friends and it didnt look too great with my outfit so i changed necklaces that night. i left it sitting at my house in the bathroom on the counter when i arrived home that night i went to get the necklace and put it back on. well the necklace was gone. and i havent seen it since that night i took it off.

i have talked to a few of my friends about all of this happening. and they are thinking that my ex whom i dumped right before this stuff started happening sent something after me, not necessarily to hurt me but to freak me out.. and im starting to believe that its true....

sooo maybe what you have in your house really is just animals.. but i know what i have is definitely not animals.. i have seen things following me many times before. i would be driving down the road with a friend and all the street lamps would suddenly shut off and one would come back on and start flickering and there would be something underneath the flickering light staring at us. the light would go off again and then all of the street lamps just flicked back on and whatever the thing was, was gone again...

so i dont really know what to tell you about your whole situation.. but i know how your feeling about it. and hopefully it is something that can be taken care of.

..good luck.

As I said I am of the opinion that this is just a mild form of auditory hallucination.Check post 6 of this thread for more info

Thanks

B???

Probably a rat.Try slamming a book against the wall when you hear it about a dozen times or use something else that makes some awful racket.Do it a couple times more if you keep hearing him come back.This won't solve your problem but might make him at least move elsewhere in the house long enough so you can get some sleep.

• Like 1

Since it appears when you try to relaxo r sleep it is a possible case of Auditory hallucination as a result of mil hynagogic hallucination.Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on – or summations of – their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject’s own ‘inner voice’, or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.

Hypnagogic Hallucination

Thanks

B???

Thank you all for your kind words. I am now fairly certain that the noise is the result of some rodent. Though I live in a house that was originally built in 1860, I have never, I repeat never, felt any negative presence in the house. Although usually once every couple years -maybe just a few times in total- something funny happens. The single most inexplicable event happened back in the winter of 2001 or 2002, when, as I sat reading in the living room alone, I heard a thud in the study. I approached the open door to the study with apprehension, and upon entering, learned that no... it was NOT the cat. There was, however, a candle laying on the floor and an empty candle stick holder on the shelf... ;-)

Edited by make me believe

Mice in the walls, Ghost dont scratch or rattle chains this has been covered by experts all over the world.

It's probably a raccoon.

• 14 years later...

Knocking on the window reminds me of stories of skinwalkers....creepy.

• Haha 1

And people that say ghosts don't make scratching noises they are wrong cause they do.  Watch the show "paranormal survivor" and then tell me that ghosts don't do those things ...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Courtneyanne said:

And people that say ghosts don't make scratching noises they are wrong cause they do.  Watch the show "paranormal survivor" and then tell me that ghosts don't do those things ...

A TV show for profit making unproven claims of ghost doing anything is the worse thing to use as evidence.