Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Workers from EU claim UK pensions

chemical-licker

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RamblingRebel

• stevewinn

• questionmark

• itsnotoutthere

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't really add up to me. Why on earth would they 'all' go to England when they can go to other places in the E.U. where the benefits are much more generous than Englands!

Seems to me the Express is spouting it's usual xenophobic propaganda, and using Johnny Foreigner as the scapegoat for Englands problems .

Edited by RamblingRebel

there is some truth to this story. a government report a while ago. highlighted this problem. 2 million national insurance numbers have been issued. we have a major pensions time bomb in this country. adding more people is the equivalent of shortening the fuse.

British basic pension of £412.75, compared with just £130 a month in Poland. who in Europe has a better benefits system WITH such lax rules than us?

Norway i believe has the best wages in Europe. £10 an hour minimum wage. but note Norway aren't EU members.

its not johnny foreigners fault its are own governments for having such a ****ed up benefits system. if i had my way the benefits system would almost be abolished.

there is some truth to this story. a government report a while ago. highlighted this problem. 2 million national insurance numbers have been issued. we have a major pensions time bomb in this country. adding more people is the equivalent of shortening the fuse.

British basic pension of £412.75, compared with just £130 a month in Poland. who in Europe has a better benefits system WITH such lax rules than us?

Norway i believe has the best wages in Europe. £10 an hour minimum wage. but note Norway aren't EU members.

its not johnny foreigners fault its are own governments for having such a ****ed up benefits system. if i had my way the benefits system would almost be abolished.

I have to admit something needs to be done about benefits in England. Not saying they should be abolished, but they need radical reform. I know people who can't 'afford' to work, or after a 40 hour week, they are only £10 better off...grafting your **** off all week for a tenner extra...I don't blame them to be honest. I'm not saying benefits should be more, but it seems to me you are rewarded for not working. You get your rent paid, council tax paid, free dinners at school, free uniforms for school. Thats just for people on jobseekers, then you got those that are on the sick (be it legit or scamming). If you can get onto DLA (again either legit or blagging) you can opt for a free BRAND NEW car every 2 year, or so much brass every month. Again I know people who have nothing at all wrong with them, who claim DLA, while there are people who are legit in need of this are refused.

Link for EU pensions

I have to admit something needs to be done about benefits in England. Not saying they should be abolished, but they need radical reform. I know people who can't 'afford' to work, or after a 40 hour week, they are only £10 better off...grafting your **** off all week for a tenner extra...I don't blame them to be honest. I'm not saying benefits should be more, but it seems to me you are rewarded for not working. You get your rent paid, council tax paid, free dinners at school, free uniforms for school. Thats just for people on jobseekers, then you got those that are on the sick (be it legit or scamming). If you can get onto DLA (again either legit or blagging) you can opt for a free BRAND NEW car every 2 year, or so much brass every month. Again I know people who have nothing at all wrong with them, who claim DLA, while there are people who are legit in need of this are refused.

Link for EU pensions

Now, how can you tell Steve that the world is not maintained and alimented by Britain...he knows its not true!

Now, how can you tell Steve that the world is not maintained and alimented by Britain...he knows its not true!

dont know why you felt the need to post that, but seeing how you have emerged from under your stone.

that link to the list of pensions is based on a percentage of the average wage. so if the average wage is lower the greater the pension percentage needs to be against the earnings.

but there is more to it than simple numbers. and i've already mentioned this. we have to also take into account the ease at which benefits can be claimed in each country when it comes to claiming benefits.

A polish worker in the UK can claim child benefit £79.00 a month* for his first child. and this child doesn't even need to live in the UK, the child is back home in Poland.

*universal payment regardless of income.

same scenario but a British worker in Poland can claim £12.80 a month in child benefit*, but the child needs to be living in Poland. spot the difference.

*means tested not payable if you earn the equivalent of £10,000

staying on these lines government figures, not mine, each month 1.2 Million is being paid in child benefits to Poland alone. what about the rest of the eastern block countries?. its no wonder our economy has hit the rocks.

but don't worry myself and the rest of the 26 million workers in the UK will pay more in tax, at the same time enduring deep cuts to our public services, in order to fix our economy. but i guess its a burden we have to shoulder to make sure the generosity continues to be spread beyond our shores.

This doesn't really add up to me. Why on earth would they 'all' go to England when they can go to other places in the E.U. where the benefits are much more generous than Englands!

Seems to me the Express is spouting it's usual xenophobic propaganda, and using Johnny Foreigner as the scapegoat for Englands problems .

Presumably your tongue was stuck firmly in your cheek when you typed this.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

dont know why you felt the need to post that, but seeing how you have emerged from under your stone.

that link to the list of pensions is based on a percentage of the average wage. so if the average wage is lower the greater the pension percentage needs to be against the earnings.

but there is more to it than simple numbers. and i've already mentioned this. we have to also take into account the ease at which benefits can be claimed in each country when it comes to claiming benefits.

A polish worker in the UK can claim child benefit £79.00 a month* for his first child. and this child doesn't even need to live in the UK, the child is back home in Poland.

*universal payment regardless of income.

same scenario but a British worker in Poland can claim £12.80 a month in child benefit*, but the child needs to be living in Poland. spot the difference.

*means tested not payable if you earn the equivalent of £10,000

staying on these lines government figures, not mine, each month 1.2 Million is being paid in child benefits to Poland alone. what about the rest of the eastern block countries?. its no wonder our economy has hit the rocks.

but don't worry myself and the rest of the 26 million workers in the UK will pay more in tax, at the same time enduring deep cuts to our public services, in order to fix our economy. but i guess its a burden we have to shoulder to make sure the generosity continues to be spread beyond our shores.

If you don't want to pay the bennies do the work yourselves...quite easy. Most of those foreign workers that so "unjustly" claim retirement now contributed to your commonwealth.

As far as salaries, Britain is also far from the top:

# Country % net% spending power#

1 Denmark 100 100 2

2 Norway 78 91 5

3 Switzerland 76 98 3

4 Luxembourg 67 106 1

5 Germany 63 83 6

6 Netherlands 58 92 4

7 Finland 53 68 14

8 Ireland 53 77 8

9 Sweden 52 71 11

10 Iceland 50 51 17

11 Belgium 49 66 15

12 United Kingdom 48 77 9

17 Greece 28 60 16

so, that argument is quite mute.

I think one point that most people miss when it comes to pensions, benefits, saleries ect is that the rates are usually relative to the cost of living.

I used to whinge that the taxes and cost of living in England was extortionate, but as I have got around over the years it has brought things into perspective. Except Eastern Europe (east of germany/italy), England (imo) is one of the cheapest places to live, and to be honest (again imo) it feels like a poor country, and perhaps is in danger of being relegated to the '3rd world'!!!

If you don't want to pay the bennies do the work yourselves...quite easy. Most of those foreign workers that so "unjustly" claim retirement now contributed to your commonwealth.

As far as salaries, Britain is also far from the top:

# Country % net% spending power#

1 Denmark 100 100 2

2 Norway 78 91 5

3 Switzerland 76 98 3

4 Luxembourg 67 106 1

5 Germany 63 83 6

6 Netherlands 58 92 4

7 Finland 53 68 14

8 Ireland 53 77 8

9 Sweden 52 71 11

10 Iceland 50 51 17

11 Belgium 49 66 15

12 United Kingdom 48 77 9

17 Greece 28 60 16

so, that argument is quite mute.

just to make a reference to the list you've taken the time to post. what point are you trying to make? we've already moved on. and noted that the percentage of pension is based on the average salary. and has your list shows, it differs in each country? so what.

the benefits system is the point of interest, importantly about the benefits system, and in reply to your post. especially with you using words such has do the work yourself. it should come has no surprise or maybe it will, am in total agreement with you. and you of all people should know my stance when it comes to British long term useless, work shy. i harp on about it enough.

i've already made reference to reforming the benefits system to the point of nearly abolishing it. which by default would sort out the problem of the long term useless, and do away with the need to import cheap foreign labour because the British work shy refuse to do it.

I understand where you are coming from Steve.

From what I understand of the UK benefits system, is that in theory anyway, there are provisions in legislation to stop 'benefit tourists'. While some of this legislation will stop many people coming, there will always be a good few people who have researched, and armed themselves well enough to wade through the bureaucracy.

I reckon it's more to do with the training provided to the frontline workers than to the actual laws. It's easy for a well researched individual to create the right impression with the 'correct' answers. Whereas some honest, hardworking chap, willing to graft like a slave, who isn't armed with the knowledge needed most likely will be refused.

Also, as far as I'm aware, if you pay into the social security fund of a country in the EU then you can claim their pension when you retire.

Edited by RamblingRebel

Also, as far as I'm aware, if you pay into the social security fund of a country in the EU then you can claim their pension when you retire.

Absolutely correct.