Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disgusting

DC09

user posted image

That is absolutely sickening to me. What the hell kind of people protest at a man's funeral???

Man, that p***es me off!

po.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joc

• Talon

• DC09

• Fenris

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with you kellalor, this is a poor attempt at publicity, reagan in hell, i very much doubt it

very much in poor taste and is, to me, worthy of pretty big punishment. death and and death rites are sacred and shouldn't EVER be protested. just because they had a beef with reagan gives them no excuse to protest his funeral.

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, although I agree that this kind of demonstration is singularly inappropriate at a man's funeral, do you not agree that to say that this is simply a man's funeral is a somewhat truncated version of the truth. As the president of America, Ronald Reagan undoubtedly annoyed a lot of people - to put it mildly. Is it not a bit much to expect these people to suddenly change their opinion of him simply because he has died? You could argue that there's a time and a place for such a protest, but it could also be argued that any leader of a country has to expect trenchant animosity from some quarters, even beyond their death.

Is it not a bit much to expect these people to suddenly change their opinion of him simply because he has died?

I'm not saying they should change their opinion and that is really not the point.

The fact that they chose his funeral to protest is what is disgusting. You'd think they would have a little compassion for the grieving family at least. sad.gif

And holding a sign that says Reagan in Hell? That's just malicious.

These are probably the same group of people who celebrated the news that Reagan had Alzheimer’s. rolleyes.gif

It reminds me a lot of the protestors at Matthew Shepard's funeral... crying.gif

From the day of Shepard's death, October 12, Fred Phelps of Topeka, Kansas sent out faxes condemning the young man's sexual orientation. Phelps began preparing signs reading "Fag Matt in Hell," along with his more generic memorial sermon for gays, "No tears for queers." Phelps told reporters in advance of the event that, "What we hope to do there at the funeral is inject a little sanity and gospel truth into what is shaping up to be an insane orgy of homosexual propaganda and lies."

The Casper City Council acted hastily in an emergency meeting the night before the funeral to prohibit picketing within 50 feet immediately before, during and after the service. Police erected barriers on surrounding streets for crowd control and used bomb-sniffing dogs to check out the church, where the sign outside read, "Love Thy Neighbor."

Article

Edited by Kellalor

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, although I agree that this kind of demonstration is singularly inappropriate at a man's funeral, do you not agree that to say that this is simply a man's funeral is a somewhat truncated version of the truth. As the president of America, Ronald Reagan undoubtedly annoyed a lot of people - to put it mildly. Is it not a bit much to expect these people to suddenly change their opinion of him simply because he has died? You could argue that there's a time and a place for such a protest, but it could also be argued that any leader of a country has to expect trenchant animosity from some quarters, even beyond their death.

Yea. But you cant go around trying to please everyone. You always run into someone that doesnt like someone or something. It's a fact of life. Regan did what he had to do. Do I think he was our greatest president of modern times? Yes! He made americans feel like americans in that time. In my opinion he was a much better president than these knuckleheads that came after him like Clinton and Bush. I also agree that these morons protesting were in real bad taste. God will strike them down. I am a firm believer of "what goes around, comes around". I speak from experience.

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment,

YOU play Devil's Advocate??????? Certainly not.... whistling2.gif

Don't even want to fuel your fire... but to me Kellalor WAS only stating that it was distasteful and not a time or place for such a protest.... and it sounds like you are saying that it is okay because of who it is... and not just "any man".....

Mmmmm.. maybe I will be there when you die ... holding some sign... but certainly not to say "Aslan In Hell"... as you might take that as a compliment. wink2.gif

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

...I agree that this kind of demonstration is singularly inappropriate at a man's funeral...

Are you aware of the meaning of the phrase devil's advocate?

Are you aware of the meaning of the phrase devil's advocate?

Yep.. and you have always done it so well.... bravo

Pardon me... I must have missed that... I apologize for saying it sounded as if you were saying it was okay.....

But still.. I had to argue with someone.. tongue.gif

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

what next protesting a child being born?? oh wait people already do ..... sad.gif

mmmmmmmmmmm..

well the man was a president.

The man was a controversial president.

So he has many people who not only disagreed but disliked him.

If we were to list his faults, supporting saddam for one, then is it not expected that people would protest at his saint like portrayal.

Funeral or not.

Everyone has their faults however this man affected the entire world, so to call protesters disgusting is a bit much.

Protesting at an average man's funeral maybe not a president that held such sway over the world.

Im not agreein or disagreein with anyone , just stating a point that not everyone liked him and that their point of view is just a justified as yours.

what next protesting a child being born?? oh wait people already do .....

Who? When? huh.gif

You could argue that there's a time and a place for such a protest, but it could also be argued that any leader of a country has to expect trenchant animosity from some quarters, even beyond their death.

It could also be argued that it is a testament to the freedoms Reagan helped secure that we have the ability to be disgusting ....even in this way...imagine a protest like this at Castro's funeral? By the Way...did you catch Cuba's statement concerning the death of RR? "He who should never have been born, has died." huh.gif

isn't that Ted Kennedy standing in front with a camera?

Must admit I tend to agree with Aslan on this.

Whilst I wouldn't protest (No point,once they are dead and gone) when Thatcher finaly goes (Can't be soon enough in my opinion!) I will be having a celebratory drink!

I don't consider the protesters 'disgusting' Regan made the lives of many people worse and some of the anger they feel at that is behind the protests.... I just think its a bit pointless. It isn't as if he's going to cause any more damage and it is a bit late to convince him of anything...

Whilst I wouldn't protest (No point,once they are dead and gone) when Thatcher finaly goes (Can't be soon enough in my opinion!) I will be having a celebratory drink!

I personally find it abhorant that anyone would celebrate the death of another individual...especially under the auspices of political ideology...while one may understand the celebratory mood of the Iraqis upon the deaths of Ude and Quse...Lady Thatcher was neither a tyrant, nor a murderer, nor a hate-mongerer...she is a decent, upstanding world citizen and I applaud her being at President Reagans funeral...I applaud Mikail Gorbachev as well.

I don't consider the protesters 'disgusting' Regan made the lives of many people worse and some of the anger they feel at that is behind the protests....

Yes, it is true..President Reagan made many peoples lives 'worse'...the Sandanistas, The Soviet Communists, Colonel Quadafi.....I do consider it disgusting that people would allow their political ideologies to fester hate in their souls........

I personally find it abhorant that anyone would celebrate the death of another individual...especially under the auspices of political ideology...while one may understand the celebratory mood of the Iraqis upon the deaths of Ude and Quse...Lady Thatcher was neither a tyrant, nor a murderer, nor a hate-mongerer...she is a decent, upstanding world citizen and I applaud her being at President Reagans funeral...I applaud Mikail Gorbachev as well.

Lady Thatcher as you so eloquently put it was a hateful b**** who caused millions to become unemployed, made millions in my country poverty stricken, supported and armed saddam husseign and general pinochet to name but 2 of her tyrannical and evil cronies.

She is personally resonsible for the gap netween poverty and rich bein so wide.

She has the blood of those who suffered at their hands on her hands.

She was extrem,ley racist towards the scottish and irish , poll tax on us alone as one example.

maybe u should get your facts right before supporting "lady thatcher".

I think supporting an arming murderous dictaors, causing millions to live in poverty is enough reason to have hatred for her.

Suffice to say i will NOT shed a tear wen she goes.

Must admit I tend to agree with Aslan on this.

I will be celebrating whit you when that hag dies....

Lady Thatcher was neither a tyrant, nor a murderer, nor a hate-mongerer...she is a decent, upstanding world citizen and I applaud her being at President Reagans funeral...I applaud Mikail Gorbachev as well.

thumbsup.gif

I do consider it disgusting that people would allow their political ideologies to fester hate in their souls........

I agree. I certainly have no love for the Clintons or the Kennedys but I sure as hell wouldn't celebrate their death. sad.gif

Their retirement from politics maybe... whistling2.gif

wink2.gif

Lady Thatcher was neither a tyrant, nor a murderer, nor a hate-mongerer...she is a decent, upstanding world citizen

Again I see your spouting off about things you haven't the first clue about, she was as damn near close to a tyrant as you get in the west without sparking a civil or international war to get rid of you. She was the singlemost destructive thing to happen to British politics and took the entire process FAR to the right.....she destroyed the unions and removed the protection from unscrupulous managers from hundreds of thousands of workers. Ask the survivors from the Belgrano if she is a hate-monger and a murderer, its quite evedent she provoked that situation (The then Argentinian government where fools for falling for it) to help bolster her in the opinion polls on the lead up to an election.... people maimed and died just to further her ego... yeah a REAL damn upstanding citizen!!!!

I and MANY of my age group and older (Those who remember living in pre-Thatcherite Britain) will have a BIG celebration the day that old trout gets turfed into her box and the lid nailed shut!

I and MANY of my age group and older (Those who remember living in pre-Thatcherite Britain) will have a BIG celebration the day that old trout gets turfed into her box and the lid nailed shut!

Fenris,

Why don't you tell us how your really feel? Don't hold back so much, it isn't good for your health... tongue.gif

I'm not sure. I for one hated the guy, I think he was a right-wing, anti-working class, *rse. However I didn't mention it in all the threads devoting themselves to ferwells to the guy because I felt it may be out of place. I do think that protesting at someone's funeral is out of order, as its not the man their harming, its his family.

However, I'm not completely going hold to this, because I am not going to hold to that ideal when it comes to the following individual;

Lady Thatcher as you so eloquently put it was a hateful b**** who caused millions to become unemployed, made millions in my country poverty stricken, supported and armed saddam husseign and general pinochet to name but 2 of her tyrannical and evil cronies.

She is personally resonsible for the gap netween poverty and rich bein so wide.

She has the blood of those who suffered at their hands on her hands.

She was extrem,ley racist towards the scottish and irish , poll tax on us alone as one example.

maybe u should get your facts right before supporting "lady thatcher".

I think supporting an arming murderous dictaors, causing millions to live in poverty is enough reason to have hatred for her.

Suffice to say i will NOT shed a tear wen she goes.

Indeed, I beleive in the UK election thread I called her the love child of the Hitler houshold. And when she does die, and she will (even the Queen of Darkness has die sometime) I won't be protesting at he funeral, I'll be holding a street Party and firework display in the centre of Paisley - all welcome, food included but bring your own drink. thumbsup.gif

Its amazing how hateful people are.

You live under a leader who persecutes your race for 12 years and then see how hateful you are

Its amazing how hateful people are. rolleyes.gif

Yup.

But I am glad that our laws allow people to be complete idiots in public. I don't see how hurting a dead man's family is going to solve anything, but hey, if it makes them feel like someone important, then so be it.

I have to agree with Kellalor, it never ceases to amaze me on how much hate there is in this world and on this forum. Oh well, such is life in paradise.

SC

I'm not sure. I for one hated the guy, I think he was a right-wing, anti-working class, *rse. However I didn't mention it in all the threads devoting themselves to ferwells to the guy because I felt it may be out of place.

Pretty much the same here, I didn't enter the threads posted to commiserate his death, not out of respect for him... I didn't and don't have any, but rather out of respect for the fact that some fellow UM members have opposing views and have a right to express them without trollish behaviour on threads that reflect their sadness... This isn't such a thread, its about protests and responces after the death of a politician.....

And when she does die I'll be holding a street Party and firework display in the centre of Paisley - all welcome, food included but bring your own drink.  thumbsup.gif

cool.gif If Paisley where nearer I'd be round to raise a glass with you, but I'll be there in spirit.... here's hoping she doesn't keep us waiting too long!