Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doomsday clock: shifted back one minute

Still Waters

The Doomsday Clock, a timepiece measuring how close humanity is to nuclear destruction, has shifted back one minute.

Anti-nuclear campaigners welcomed forecasts by the symbolic clock, created by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists in 1947, that the current threat had lessened.

The gimmick was built in New York two years after the US dropped the first atom bombs on Japan in World War Two and was first set at seven minutes to midnight.

In 2007 it was wound on to five minutes to midnight, to reflect the failure to solve problems posed by nuclear weapons.

The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) said the hands on the clock were now being moved back to six minutes to midnight.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zenfahr

• Grandpa Greenman

• Space Commander Travis

• Still Waters

I think the telegraph itself puts it best:

The gimmick

(Incidentally, have CND ever actually accomplished anything of any significance?)

Makes me glad though our presidents have term limits. I don't think they are taking into account the terrorist nut jobs getting their hands on a nuclear weapons.

so Six till the day of judgment.... somehow that does not make me feel any better.... of course the last five mins lasted something like 60 years.

Bartender, I'll have another then, while I wait.... :tu: oh and one for the cute blond at then end of the bar too!! :wub:

I saw this yesterday.

Doomsday clock reset thanks to Obama

What a pathetic joke. Instead of calling themselves an group of International Scientists they should just be honest. They are a group of International Propagandists.

Nice timing they have for their symbolic gesture to claim that Obama is moving us all further away from doom. I guess while they all smile and praise Obama for saving us from impending doom the rest of us could who live in reality could pray and send support for the people of Haiti.

I saw this yesterday.

What a pathetic joke. Instead of calling themselves an group of International Scientists they should just be honest. They are a group of International Propagandists.

Nice timing they have for their symbolic gesture to claim that Obama is moving us all further away from doom. I guess while they all smile and praise Obama for saving us from impending doom the rest of us could who live in reality could pray and send support for the people of Haiti.

Amen. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama's administration had anything to do with any large "donations" for the CDN to claim this move is due to Obama's leadership. Heh.

Doubt it had any polictal agenda, as the statement was made that they feel somewhat optimistic, yet it could go either way at any moment. I dont see why you need to turn this into an attack on Obama. I really dont care who is president if that person calls for less nuclear weapons. Others have tried, only this guy seems to have international attention this time. I would rather have a president that calls for peace than one who points to axises of evil throught the world, and uses it as a means to remove our civil liberties. And unlike others, this administration is not sitting on their collective arses, when it comes to Haiti. Its a good thing that people start seeing compassion come out of our country, rather than aggression. Another thing about Obama, it does not matter who was elected... that person will screw up at sometime somewhere. Our only hope is that when he leaves office, we will be better off, than when he assumed office.

I saw this yesterday.

Well you're right on that.

But Obama has actually moved us closer to midnight - the guy and all his staff are bloody marxists. It is almost miraculous that he ever got elected.

It is amazing the Demoncrats were able to hide his true background from the general public through their connections with the leftist mass media. Hiding in plain sight for anyone with any skill at research!

His science czar John Holdren is a population control fanatic with a book out that reads almost like Mein Kampf. He promotes forced sterilizations, forced abortions, infanticide, and etc. Just google it.

His education czar has put reading materials geared to encourage homosexuality, bi-sexuality, incest, pedophilia, NAMBLA, etc. on his list of public elementary and high school literature!!

There are more countries in the world today with nuclear weapons than ever before- it is worse not better! Many of these countries are Muslim or rogue. How can it possibly be better?!?!

These people are pure unscrupulous propagandists seeking to promote Obama to one world government leadership.

This backwards shift of the doomsday clock is insulting to any informed persons intelligence!!

so Six till the day of judgment.... somehow that does not make me feel any better.... of course the last five mins lasted something like 60 years.

Bartender, I'll have another then, while I wait.... :tu: oh and one for the cute blond at then end of the bar too!! :wub:

make it a double while I prepare this batch of IED's for the road.

What a joke.It was a joke back then and its still a joke today.A clock that can tell the time were going to get blown up in a nuclear explosion.JMO

Dr. Manhattan says it best: "I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man."