Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teheran: World must accept Iran into nuclear club

DC09

Iran's top diplomat said Saturday the country won't accept any new internationally imposed obligations regarding its nuclear program and that the world must recognize Iran as a nuclear-capable nation.

"We won't accept any new obligations," Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi told reporters, suggesting a toughening of Iran's position two days before the 35-nation board of governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N. nuclear watchdog, meets to discuss Iran's nuclear program.

"Iran has a high technical capability and has to be recognized by the international community as a member of the nuclear club," Kharrazi said at a press conference. "This is an irreversible path."

The IAEA has wrestled for more than a year with what to do regarding what the United States and its allies say is a secret Iranian nuclear weapons program. Iran has rejected such allegations, saying its nuclear program is geared toward generating electricity, not making an atom bomb.

Kharrazi insisted Saturday that Iran won't give up its development of the nuclear fuel cycle, the steps for processing and enriching uranium necessary for both nuclear energy and nuclear weapons. Iran says it has achieved the full cycle, but is not now enriching uranium.

"That somebody demands that we give up the nuclear fuel cycle ... is an additional demand," Kharrazi said. He apparently was referring to demands by U.S. and European countries that Iran halt operations of a plant it inaugurated in March in Isfahan, central Iran, that processes uranium into gas and abort plans to build a heavy water reactor in Arak, another city in central Iran.

"We can't accept such an additional demand, which is contrary to our legal and legitimate rights," he said. "No one in Iran can make a decision to deny the nation of something that is a source of pride."

Iran has confirmed possessing technology to extract uranium ore, processing it into a powder called yellow cake and then converting it into gas. The gas is then injected into centrifuges for low-grade enrichment that turns it into fuel for nuclear reactors.

Uranium enriched to low levels has energy uses, while highly enriched uranium can be used in bombs.

Iran suspended uranium enrichment last year under mounting international pressure. In April, it said it had stopped building centrifuges. IAEA inspectors had found traces of highly enriched uranium at two sites, which Iranian officials have maintained was due to contaminated imported materials.

Kharrazi condemned a draft resolution critical of Iran drawn up by Germany, France and Britain and currently debated before the IAEA board meeting Monday.

Full Article

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erikl

• joc

• Talon

• xanubia

Top Posters In This Topic

According to what I know, Iran already aquired 4 tactical nuclear warheads through Kazakhstan after the collapse of the USSR.

Those warheads are small - 1-0.5 killoton each. The Soviets built them to be fired from cannons on large tank groups.

Also, those warheads cannot be delivered through ballistic missiles.

The Iranians probably wanted to reverse engineer them, or to add more power to them, but then they gave-up the idea and chose to develop their own nuclear arsenal from scratch.

Anyway, their main target, after a "Saddamist" Iraq, would be Israel - they don't even try to hide the fact that they want to destroy us! disgust.gif

So if Iran gets nuclear on us, I'm running to the nearest nuclear shelter I can find! ... ahh wait... we don't have those here... *GLIMP* crying.gif

Edited by Erikl

I think they are forgetting that Iraq(And all of the US forces therein) is just hours away via a quick convoy...

...and Bush is still president.

If I was Iran, I would of kept my mouth shut...

Not just that, but as soon as the detonation of a nuclear weapon is reported (in the case of a freefall bomb) or a missile launch, Silos from china to europe to america will go hot......then iran gets hotter, 3 million degrees hotter....

Iran wouldn't dare use a nuclear weapon, because they know it would be like signing your own death warrant. I doubt they would use one anyway, unless they were involved in a war that they were losing and have no choice but to use one...

I think they are forgetting that Iraq(And all of the US forces therein) is just hours away via a quick convoy...

If I was Iran, I would of kept my mouth shut...

Thus, The Bush Doctrine hath teeth....had we backed down and not taken out Saddam...what do you presume the attitude of the Iranian government would be?

I would think more bold and forthright and in your face.

Iran wouldn't dare use a nuclear weapon, because they know it would be like signing your own death warrant. I doubt they would use one anyway, unless they were involved in a war that they were losing and have no choice but to use one...

Ah, but BA...that is an assumption that the Iranians have A. a thread of common sense and B. the complete belief that we would obliterate them....Saddam did not have that belief...maybe now they do.... thumbsup.gif

devil.gif

whistling2.gif

Thus, The Bush Doctrine hath teeth....had we backed down and not taken out Saddam...what do you presume the attitude of the Iranian government would be?

I would think more bold and forthright and in your face.

Yep, joc you are right. I think for an added measure of our immense strength we should drop a couple tactical nukes in each of the remaining middle east countries, just to let them know we mean business. thumbsup.gif The nukes are just gathering dust as we speak, hell I want to see my tax dollars at work!

After we nuke them we could drop the leaders of each country a note via Western Union or maybe a candygram to tell them if they disagree with us we will just send the rest of the nukes we already have pointed at them...

We could let them know at the same time that we aren't going to put up with any terrorist cr@p from their people either...

Yep, joc you are right. I think for an added measure of our immense strength we should drop a couple tactical nukes in each of the remaining middle east countries, just to let them know we mean business.  The nukes are just gathering dust as we speak, hell I want to see my tax dollars at work!

After we nuke them we could drop the leaders of each country a note via Western Union or maybe a candygram to tell them if they disagree with us we will just send the rest of the nukes we already have pointed at them...

We could let them know at the same time that we aren't going to put up with any terrorist cr@p from their people either...

Works for me! tongue.gif

Yep, joc you are right. I think for an added measure of our immense strength we should drop a couple tactical nukes in each of the remaining middle east countries, just to let them know we mean business.  The nukes are just gathering dust as we speak, hell I want to see my tax dollars at work!

Works for me! tongue.gif

*Cackles*Now does everyone rest easy knowing President bush contains enough power to wipe out civilization as we know it in a briefcase?

Now does everyone rest easy knowing President bush contains enough power to wipe out civilization as we know it in a briefcase?

Might want to rewind and insert the right way there S&A laugh.gif

Well, if the foreign sources are correct, and Israel does have nukes, it will probably evolve into a "Cold War"-like conflict between Israel and Iran....

and maybe we will see some strange alliances between Israel and somw Arab states, which once hated us... after all, the Persians and the Arabs hate each other's guts!

*Cackles*Now does everyone rest easy knowing President bush contains enough power to wipe out civilization as we know it in a briefcase?

i cant sleep well knowing that an idiotic fanatic (insert here the name you want, i put Bush and Sharon) have the power to wipe out all the work of thousands of years of civilization.....

i cant sleep well knowing that an idiotic fanatic (insert here the name you want, i put Bush and Sharon) have the power to wipe out all the work of thousands of years of civilization.....

Oh, and I guess it is ok for France, Russia, China, UK, India, Pakistan and probably N. Korea and Iran to have nukes?

Who do you call fanatics? do know where is Iran? do you know what kind of regime they have?

This is just pathetic...

yes, i know the kind of regimen is in Iran, but the fight betewn extremist and moderates paralize any agresive move.

The thing is, it doesn't matter who has the nukes. They are all capable of pushing the button, ALL capable of wiping us off the face of the planet. And with the idiots that control our countrys, i think mekorig is right in saying that.

The thing is, it doesn't matter who has the nukes. They are all capable of pushing the button, ALL capable of wiping us off the face of the planet. And with the idiots that control our countrys, i think mekorig is right in saying that.

The question is, who is MORE LIKELY to do so.

Iran. N. Korea and Pakistan, all cruel dictatorships with a very poor human rights record, or the U.K, India, France and Israel, who are all western democracies?

Oh and the paranoid french democracy, the lapdog british "democracy/totalitarism", Israel the "make a treaty with palestine, then kill there people", Or India who almost incited a nuclear war with pakistan, Or America who has the worlds largest DUMBASS not to mention maverick, war mongering and power hungry man with his finger on the button. Now sit there and tell me which country is most likely to press the button. BTW you forgot china, russia, spain, austrailia........China a communist country that keeps its civilians under a tight grip, Russia with a society so unstable and corrupt anyone can buy nuclear materials from them.....The List is endless.....

The thing is Erikl you have a very biased view against other nations that don't fit in with the ideals of israel, which makes it harder for me to make you see a bit of sense...

The issue of these other nations having weapons is irrelativent

US - super power

Russia - former 20th century super powerChina - military Super power

UK/France - 19th century super power

India - ... well they got them, who's gonna stop them.

N. Korea etc - same story

All these states have them, its going to be very hard to remove them and at least most have claims of being or being former super powers.

The issue here is, what to do about these newer nuclear powers which really have to no reason to have them in this era of 'peace' unless they intend to use them. Measures should be taken to make sure nobody else gets them be they western democracies or totalitarian, because they are no longer neccessary

I don't think countries want nukes for the purpose of using them- that'd be stupid; they want them so that other countries, (::cough:: the United States for example) don't step all over them, which the US has a terrible old habit of doing.

don't think countries want nukes for the purpose of using them- that'd be stupid; they want them so that other countries, (::cough:: the United States for example) don't step all over them, which the US has a terrible old habit of doing.

Which countries have we stepped all over xanubia? Really, I would like to know.

The thing is Erikl you have a very biased view against other nations that don't fit in with the ideals of israel, which makes it harder for me to make you see a bit of sense...

It also seems to me BA that you have a somewhat biased opinion of Israel and the United States. ohmy.gif

The issue here is, what to do about these newer nuclear powers which really have to no reason to have them in this era of 'peace' unless they intend to use them. Measures should be taken to make sure nobody else gets them be they western democracies or totalitarian, because they are no longer neccessary

Once upon a time Talon and I never agreed on anything....seems lately that we

agree on everything......scary blink.giftongue.gif

Which countries have we stepped all over xanubia? Really, I would like to know.

You want a list? huh.gif Vietnam, Korea, Afganistan, Iraq, Serbia, Cambodia (before the CIA helped a fascist madman into power) etc etc Although, to be fair for half of these its a good thing you did walk all over them rolleyes.gif

Once upon a time Talon and I never agreed on anything....seems lately that we agree on everything......scary

Well... they do say the more extreme left and right go ... huh.gif the more they end up being the same grin2.giftongue.gif

First of all, I did not meantion the US for a reason. For the same reason I did not mention Russia and China. Talon already explained why (scary how we agree lately Talon... tongue.gif ).

Secondly, BA: Try to live in Iran/Pakistan/N. Korea for one week! ONE WEEK only!

Then go for a MONTH to Israel, then a month in India, then a month in France (I don't believe I'm defending the French... LOL).

Then come back (if you'll survive the first three countries I mentioned) to tell us who was biased here, OK?

EDIT: NOTE: btw, I wonder how an Israeli could be biased against N. Korea... LOL

And I'm not even going to respect your comment about Israel and the Palestinians with an answer....

Edited by Erikl

Secondly, BA: Try to live in Iran/Pakistan/N. Korea for one week! ONE WEEK only!

Then go for a MONTH to Israel, then a month in India, then a month in France (I don't believe I'm defending the French... LOL).

Then come back (if you'll survive the first three countries I mentioned) to tell us who was biased here, OK?

I don't get what your saying. I have been in Pakistan for three weeks and I know a lot of people from Iran- nothing wrong there. If you don't like the culture, which I'm guessing you depise, then don't go there. And don't tell everyone else you know that these countries are barbaric. You think Israel is civilized? Look at the way they treat the Palestinians. Is modern civilization when you treat dogs better than a different people?

The question is, who is MORE LIKELY to do so.

Iran. N. Korea and Pakistan, all cruel dictatorships with a very poor human rights record, or the U.K, India, France and Israel, who are all western democracies?

What kind of biased propaganda have YOU been fed???!!!!

Let's not forget that the people of Iran purposely put that "dictator" in power and chose that system of government. They like it the way it is. And that you don't exactly see sever rioting, oppression, and internal conflict in Pakistan. Any trouble in Pakistan is due to the fact that the country is still developing, not the system of government.

And North Korea is a different story- there is trouble going on there, and I'm not sure what they want.

I don't get what your saying. I have been in Pakistan for three weeks and I know a lot of people from Iran- nothing wrong there. If you don't like the culture, which I'm guessing you depise, then don't go there.

Actually, I don't despise their culture at all. I actually like the Persians more then I like the Arabs (not that I hate Arabs, but we are at war with them and all that...).

I actually looking forward to the day that we will be allies again.

Yes, if you didn't know this - Israel and Iran were close allies untill '79, when a fanatic religious regime took over the country. Israeli and Iranian ballistic missile technology, for example, share similiar origins (we worked together on that technology).

So you must see this from the Israeli side: one day we were best friends, the next day a fundementalist regime take over the country and stab us in the back, starting to use terror against us and crying all day for the destruction of Israel.

So no, there is no hatred in the personal level between Jews and Persians. There is, however, great dislike between the regime of Iran and the Jewish people.

As for Pakistan - they are actually developing good relationship with us. But I just don't trust them - the population is too fanatic and they are not a free democracy. I guess I'll never trust a country which is not democratic. For example, I like Jordan more then Egypt, although the Jordanians are Palestinans and we have peace more years with Egypt then Jordan - but I trust the people there, because they are far more liberal then Judea, Samaria or Gaza's Palestinians.

For that matter - I trust and respect Israeli Palestinians (1.3 million out of a 6.8 million population... that's almost 20% of the population of Israel) then those of the territories.

Let's not forget that the people of Iran purposely put that "dictator" in power and chose that system of government. They like it the way it is. And that you don't exactly see sever rioting, oppression, and internal conflict in Pakistan. Any trouble in Pakistan is due to the fact that the country is still developing, not the system of government.

LOL!!!! The greatest joke I heard all day!

Tell me please - did you heard about the atempted assasination of Pakistan's presidant?

Did we see rioting and internal conflict in Iraq? do we see it in any stable dictatorship?

don't kid yourself - people are severly oppressed in Iran as well as Pakistan.

And I don't know where youve been in those three weaks of yours there, but you obviously saw what the government tried to show you... don't forget, dictators do have the ability to do those kind of "dog and pony show" to foreigners.

As for "Let's not forget that the people of Iran purposely put that "dictator" in power and chose that system of government. They like it the way it is.":

So this means that Hitler and Lenin weren't dictatorships? And how about Saddam? And Nasser? and Mao?

If you want to know what the Iranians and Israelis think of eachother, you should start by reading THIS article.

You think Israel is civilized? Look at the way they treat the Palestinians. Is modern civilization when you treat dogs better than a different people?

Anti-Israeli propaganda... that's just prove that all youre knowledge of the Middle-East comes from biased European networks... try to watch Fox or SkyNews instead of BBC, CNN, Al-Jazera, and other pro-Arabic networks.

And no, Fox and Sky are not pro-Israeli, but they are objective, as oppose to CNN and BBC.

Edited by Erikl