Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thoughts on an Oscillatory Universe

Dune

An oscillatory universe refers to the theory that the universe will end in a "big crunch" which will trigger another big bang. Basically, at some time the density of the universe will cause it to collapse in on itself (crunch). I think this is an interesting theory because it suggests that the universe may be infinite in another way. When an old universe dies, a new one comes to life. Reminds me of stellar nurseries.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thefinalfrontier

• sepulchrave

• Dune

• Piney

Top Posters In This Topic

The therory of the Big Crunch has been denounced, The universse is speeding farther apart, Well to your thoughts of one universe being replaced by another could be a possility but its not going to happen in any of our lifetimes or far off future relatives,

Regards;

TFF

The therory of the Big Crunch has been denounced

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it has been ``denounced''.

While certainly the latest experimental evidence makes a ``Big Crunch'' less plausible than a ``Big Freeze'' or ``Big Rip'' scenario, remember that the hypothetical driving force for the accelerating expansion of the universe is Dark Energy, something which we have no theoretical understanding nor direct experimental evidence of.

If Dark Energy is a transient effect it could `switch directions' and we might all crunch after all.

in that senareo it still would not happen for billions of years IMO, The universe is a huge place

in that senareo it still would not happen for billions of years IMO, The universe is a huge place

Just because something like this won't happen for a long long time, doesn't mean it's not worth considering or even wondering about. Also, since the big bang is...well by all definition an explosion of some sort, of course the universe is going to be speeding apart. The question is, will it eventually slow down, or even stop?

Edited by Dune

Just because something like this won't happen for a long long time, doesn't mean it's not worth considering or even wondering about. Also, since the big bang is...well by all definition an explosion of some sort, of course the universe is going to be speeding apart. The question is, will it eventually slow down, or even stop?

I believe that the Universe dies and is reborn. I think it's expansion will reverse and it will collapse to "bang" again. But not for a lonnngg time.

Lapiche

The question is, will it eventually slow down, or even stop?

If the experimental evidence is correct, and if Dark Energy - whatever that is - does not change with time, no. The Universe will never stop expanding. Eventually it will end up like the Spartans in 300... ripped.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I guess I could have a used a different word other than denounce.,Dune I believe thinking and studying that kind of thing make a stronger mind, (I have pondered on it for over thirty years) Instead of denounced lets change that to the latest model found it very very unlikely, Not arguing your points but rather sharing thoughts, BTW thats a cool avatar,

Regards;

TFF