Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stunning Secrets Of Kubrick's 'The Shining'

el midgetron

IMG_0049.jpg

The Shining is surely Stanley Kubrick's most misunderstood masterpiece.

I use the word 'masterpiece' guardedly because I have never really thought that The Shining was a very good film.

At the time, in 1980 when I first saw it, I didn't like it at all. The way that Kubrick threw out so much of Stephen King's great source material and replaced it with a lot of things that just didn't seem to make any sense, really bothered me.

Hopefully, before I am finished with this essay, the reader will see it is only when Kubrick dramatically alters the script from Stephen King's novel that we can begin to understand what Stanley Kubrick is trying to tell us in his version of The Shining.

It should be understood from the beginning that The Shining is Stanley Kubrick's most personal film (outside of, possibly, Eyes Wide Shut). Before we are done here it will be easy to see that Kubrick was only using Stephen King's novel as a launching pad (excuse the pun) to be able to tell a completely different story under the guise of making a film based on a best-selling novel. He did this for a very important reason - mainly to save his life.

continues at link -

http://www.jayweidner.com/ShiningSecrets.html

The article contends that Kubrick hid commentary about Apollo 11 (and his involvement with) in the subtext of the Shining. Fans of symbology in film will enjoy this read reguardless of your interest in a possible moon hoax.

Please, don't let the moon hoax thread spill over into this one. Comments about the authors interpetations and Kubrick's work are welcome.

BTW, if you enjoy this article, the site at the link above has additional articles interpreting the symbology of Kubricks films.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conspiracybeliever

• el midgetron

• Voyager10

• mklsgl

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was an intersting article. Clockwork Orange makes other references to the space program, remember the drunk guy who says something like: Men on the moon, and no attention paid to what's going on here. The book also makes references to how satellite technology has everyone glued to the TV so that nobody goes outside at night, which allows gangs to have free reign.

Edited by Voyager10

I'll have to read the article later because this is one of my all time favorite films. I still own the movie. Thanks!

That's what I love about a good conspiracy theory. All the little puzzle pieces fit to make a very strange picture.

I don't know how much is true, but I know it's all fun.

I don't know if or how this relates, but I came across a site which had a picture of a carpet with the same design as the one in the hotel, and it's referred to as a honeycomb pattern:

IMG_0064.jpg

4-10-08honeycomb4.jpg

That was an excellent read. Please keep us updated.

Don't know what kind of updates we can expect but like I mentioned, there are other Kubrick articles at that site you might also enjoy.

Alchemical Kubrick 2001: the great work on film -

http://www.jayweidner.com/kubrick.htm

huh, I guess its mainly just these two....

Don't know what kind of updates we can expect but like I mentioned, there are other Kubrick articles at that site you might also enjoy.

Alchemical Kubrick 2001: the great work on film -

http://www.jayweidner.com/kubrick.htm

huh, I guess its mainly just these two....

At the end I thought the author made it sound like he was going to keep pressing NASA to release some film. But thanks for the other link.

Fans of symbology in film will enjoy this read reguardless of your interest in a possible moon hoax.

Symbology? I believe the word you're looking for is symbolism.

Anywho, great article. Thanks for sharing.

Quite an entertaining read. Almost completely devoid of any critical film-study skills, but entertaining...