Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crowds Celebrate 13 Deaths in Iraq Blast

Fluffybunny

Can someone remind me why we are there again?

By ROBERT H. REID, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A car bomb shattered a convoy of Westerners in Baghdad Monday, killing at least 13 people, including three General Electric workers and two bodyguards. Crowds rejoiced over the attack, dancing around a charred body and shouting "Down with the USA!"

The blast, during the morning rush hour near busy Tahrir Square, was the second vehicle bombing in Baghdad in as many days amid an upsurge of bloodshed in the capital only two weeks before the formal end of the U.S.-led occupation.

Iraq (news - web sites)'s interior minister said he believed foreigners carried out the attack, and Prime Minister Iyad Allawi accused Jordanian-born terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi of trying to disrupt the transfer of sovereignty. Al-Zarqawi, believed to have contacts with al-Qaida, is accused in last month's decapitation of American Nicholas Berg.

The chaotic scene Monday was reminiscent of the violence and anti-American hatred that accompanied the March 31 slaying in Fallujah of four Americans, whose bodies were mutilated and hung from a Euphrates river bridge.

Moments after the thunderous blast, which shook the heart of the capital, young men raced into the street, hurling stones at the flaming wreckage, looting personal belongings of the victims and chanting slogans against the occupation.

Iraqi police stood by helplessly — unable to control the crowd only weeks before they are to assume more security responsibility under the U.S. exit strategy.

As flames and smoke enveloped the vehicles, youths taunted American troops and threatened Western journalists. American troops beat one man with a stick, but after failing to restrain the crowd, the troops and police withdrew.

Crowds chanted "Down with the USA!" and set fire to an American flag. Young men gleefully displayed a British passport and identification card issued by the Coalition Provisional Authority.

Link

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snuffypuffer

• Naveed

• Dowdy

• DC09

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone remind me why we are there again?

....oil? huh.gif

But yeah, if it was to liberate them as I supported the war for I have to agree, why did we bother. Another thing, I notice more often than not they attack and kill civilan workers who are there to rebuild their country, then they moan that the Coalition hasn't restored water, gas and electricity to many parts of the country.

I mentioned this before, and again don't get me wrong, I don't support Stalinism, but if it was the Soviet Union who had occupied them, does anyone think they would be outside chanting 'Down with the USSR!' ? I doubt it. We should have been a little more tough, keeping the idea alive that we are liberaters, but not being seen as so weak that we would not wipe out any renegades who tried to take over.

Yes you are there for oil, not only that but the billions of pounds you will generate for your countrys buisnesses rebuilding the said country. Its not about "liberation" its about money....period.

Well, "liberating the country" was the reasons given, never mind what the purpose really was. It's not like Iraq was thriving under Saddam or anything. It just goes to show that there's a lot of murky air over there.

We should have been a little more tough, keeping the idea alive that we are liberaters, but not being seen as so weak that we would not wipe out any renegades who tried to take over.

Again Talon hits nail on head thumbsup.gif

Dear God! I've been finding myself agreeing with Talon more and more! ph34r.gif

Edited by Kellalor

Sick ungrateful little pricks...just wait till I get my viking sword! They need a good spanking. disgust.gif

OH YES! A viking sword! That'll solve all our problems.

And my machete can solve all the hunger problems in Africa... tongue.gif

It will solve the problems if I go in Berserker style! Froathing at the mouth, stark naked, biting my shield, and completely drunk howling like a mad man. Those extremists won't know what hit them!

Of course they'll also be blinded by the utter whiteness of my naked body... blush.gif

post-63-1087430595.jpg

Edited by Naveed